logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kevin Eidsmore  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 2:49:39 PM(UTC)
Kevin Eidsmore

Man
United States

Hello Tim Olsen and ViaCAD Pro v10 users (or maybe Shark also?),

Tools for text and dimensions work ONLY in 2D mode, not 3D mode. This is a big deal! When I draw up a complex object(s) in 3D mode, I want to be able to dimension ALL areas to my heart's content (and if I ever make the things I draw IRL). Right now, all I have are these two tools that work correctly in '3D mode': Horizontal Text and Length Dimension. This is not acceptable and needs to be corrected by a future patch, hopefully soon, or else I'm forced to have to look elsewhere for my next purchase of a CAD program. If it's not along a plane (X/Y/Z) or along a curve (a curved curve ; not lines), then I can't use any dimension tools when I try and put a dimension to an object! Not good. I'll be checking the patches every week or so...

P.S. There are other tools, such as Region Trim, that do not work correctly either. But, unlike text and dimensions, it isn't a big deal as I don't see myself actually using those other tools and/or I found 'work arounds' for other tools. Even though I could put dimensions in a 'Horizontal Text' format and move/rotate/etc. to a position in 3D space, I shouldn't have to 'jury rig' any dimensions (notes method) that silly way anyhow, lol. I have ViaCAD Pro version 10, build 1341 right now F.Y.I. ALL DIM/TEXT tools do work correctly in 2D mode however.

-Kevin Eidsmore

Email: [email protected]
File Attachment(s):
ViaCADtestTEXTDIM.vcp (74kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
ViaCADtestTEXTDIM2D.vcp (17kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 8:26:28 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Kevin

I looked at your files , and there are no errors with dimensions. The system uses the current workplane when you add dimensions. If you want to add dimensions to all the different planes you need to switch the workplane. The c key is a shortcut to quickly change the workplane.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:23:47 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
The c key is a shortcut to quickly change the workplane.
To test the c-key i removed my user defined short-cut, this was verufy distance..... This is not useful that the c-key is allowed for user defined shortcuts without a alert. To use the c-key you need a snap point on hand, otherwise it happens nothing. Turning the plane works ieth shift+C when a snap point in hand. Test it with the diagonal line of my attached file. You will see the c-key helps nothing for creating a dimension for the diagonal line.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:27:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Untitled 1.stp (8kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm