logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fred  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:54:34 PM(UTC)
Fred

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

Am struggling to finalise plans due to not being able to control large sets of dimensions efficiently. However, I admit that sometimes I overlook functionality ViaCad may actually have, so thought I should ask.

Could someone please confirm whether there is an easy way to make a collection of dimensions (of the same direction, but different pick points along that direction) share the same first gap plane (ie. they may therefore need different actual gap distances to do this)

This is for architectural plans where we need to neatly pull the dimensions away from a large & complex plan, and have the dimension gap align.

(In other programs I might draw a line to define the gap plane, then trim all the dimension lines to stop at that line. Trim does not work on dimension lines, although the Align function is a good start to this process.)

I have experimented with the Dimension Standards manager however it seems I need to create a standard for each total dimension setout distance, and then there is still no way to have the application of that standard recalculate each dimensions (2 separate sets) of extension gaps. (Remember sometimes a dimension has two co-ordinates with both differing x & y planes)

Edited by user Friday, August 25, 2017 6:34:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: extra detail

MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:11:36 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
The Dimension Standards manager need a restart of Shark/ViaCad to keep the new standard for all new dimensions. Creating a good setup is not easy, i needed hours for my. And something works not. The Value for "Next offset" have no effect. I have this already on my suggestion list, but the Developer have so much to do, i dont want to much in a to short time. A good thing need a long time....
Also the thickness of lines are not easy to handle when chaging the scale. Better to use a value in pixel. The good old draftboard do this.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
MaiFy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:01:52 AM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi Fred
I think I understand what you are trying to do.
Pick the dimensioning tool you wish to use. hover over a point and the logi cursor will pick it up.
Move off the drawing to the point you wish to start your dimensioing from (keeping the logi cursor guide active). click to place
Go back and pick the next point with the logicursor(it can be out of alignment of the 1st point), move back to where you first clicked and the logicursor will pick up that point as well, Slide the cursor back in line with the point off drawing and the word vertex should appear. click again.
I think the dimension will now be how you want it.
Repeat for more dimensions.

I have made a very quick and rough video and uploaded it to Vimeo. Click on the Vimeo link below. (Kids distracted me halfway through)

I think another person asked about this very same point before as well, but I didn't explain it very well.
Please let us know if this is what you are trying to do or something else.

Vimeo link

I,m using shark FX V8 which is quite buggy but I am used to it, so its not a big problem. :-)
thanks 1 user thanked MaiFy for this useful post.
Fred on 8/17/2017(UTC)
Fred  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:33:08 AM(UTC)
Fred

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes! that was it, thanks again. I was missing the critical obvious thing, no wonder I was going insane : )