logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 6:32:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi, I can't seem to export a quality jpg or bmp with ViaCAD - using version 10.
I have downloaded the trial version and have drawn up some architectural type plans and have tried exporting them, but they have terrible resolution - pixelated and not what I would expect from a CAD. Am I doing something incorrect or is this how viacad works? Is there a way that you can export quality plans/drawings without having to be in CAD format?
Thanks,
John
Guest attached the following image(s):
example2.jpg (59kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 6:53:23 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello John

A couple of things: Exporting as a jpg or png is a raster image and will not be the best quality as it dpi is limited.

For a line drawing it is probably best to print the file to pdf vs try to export to a image format. If you are on windows there are several pdf print drivers you can install for free: Microsoftpdf driver, Cute Pdf, Foxit, pdf creator, etc. The mac has a built in pdf generator as well.

As for better raster exports: Check you line widths and line resolutions but as it is basically a screen grab and such a large image like a floor plan you will not get high resolution. for windows bmp might be the best option.

What is the main use of these or what are you trying to do with the images?

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Monday, July 24, 2017 6:54:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Windows 11, 10
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:00:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thanks for the answer.
I tried printing as a pdf, but the quality is still poor, it looks pixelated.
The main use of these drawings is to draw up house plans and then send to someone via email who can then print them.
However, the quality of these are not good enough to do this. Is the only way to get quality images to print them on a printer which has viacad installed?
The best option I've found so far, is to print the plan on my printer, then scan it to pdf, then send it - alot of double handling...
Is there any better option than this? Am I doing something wrong/missing something?
Thanks again
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:07:51 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

John

What are you using pc or mac. When you print to PDF it should produce a good quality PDF file that you can email.
The PDF should be of same or better quality then printing to a physical printer.

Do you have a sample ViaCAD file you can post or mock up a sample. Can you post the PDF file you genersted?

What is the desired size output of the printed page physically letter bsize or plotter size d or e?

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:08:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:51:45 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

John

I have attached 2 sample pdf's I printed from ViaCAD to a pdf print driver to generate these files.

both have great image quality.

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:56:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
ViaCAD Pro _floorplanexamplebsize.pdf (136kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
ViaCAD Pro _floorplanexampled.pdf (238kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
floorplanexample.vcp (103kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10