logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mfoster  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:24:18 PM(UTC)
mfoster

I am having an issue with multi line text displaying differently on screen than when printed. With single line text the horizontal space seems slightly wider but locations are good. Main concern is with multi line. Here are two different examples:

With the horizontal text tool here is on screen:

This is what it looks like when I print (different location and size):

Here with the box text tool this is on screen:

This is printed (location good different size):

This makes placing the text very difficult.

Thanks for any help!

Mark
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:36:31 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Mark

What scale was this printed at?

Did you have the Preserve Annotation sizes checked?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
mfoster  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:52:10 PM(UTC)
mfoster

Hi Jason

Scale is 1.0. In these samples i did not have preserve annotation checked. I did just try that out but have the exact same results.

mark
#4 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 6:53:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Jason

Have you been able to simulate this? Do you have any other thoughts?

Thanks
Mark
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 8:20:28 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Mark

1. Fonts - the only Font that is the height you specify is Plotter which is more lines then a true type font. I do not by any means know a lot about fonts scaling but to me the conversion from a specified inch/metric height needs to be greater. The method of specifying fonts by points was from the old typesetter days and does not apply well to a CAD drawing. I believe the standard for specifying fonts by points vs a measurement is that 72.272 points = 1 inch

2. Multiline - using the multiline "\P" allows for single line text or dimensions to have multiline display but no real control over the spacing and its not always justified to match the first line.

3. Box text - have not used as much as single line text. It looks liek it worked well for position in your example.

My though is I always use single line text as painful as it is to keep lined up its the most accurate for position as it can be controlled. I would like to see fonts scaled different when you call for a .188" high it should be almost that height, while I understand not all fonts are the same I believe the conversion could be different. For example if I take a basic font like Arial and specify a .188" high text its about .136" high, about .72 called for height. I am not sure how it is scaled but it should be scaled to match the .188" closer. My argument is that most standard fonts used in CAD will be close to the same and the scale should be based on those so a .188" high is close to .188" high in fonts like arial and other basic highly readable font types.

As in technical drawing all text height and line width are very specific and must follow standards.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:23:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thanks for the response. I will look into this further and see if I am not using correct standards.

Mark