logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zircon  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 6:58:54 AM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As a part of a general workflow streamlining project I today printed out and organized a list of the shortcuts registrable in Shark FX. Since Shark FX has fairly few default shortcuts and I also use Adobe Illustrator it seemed most expedient to use AI's analogous keyboard shortcuts as a baseline.

Since Shark FX doesn't natively allow the use of the  and Alt keys for shortcuts and registering a large number of shortcuts to the OS X keyboard preferences panel increases the likelihood of conflicts, I bought Keyboard Maestro to use as a crutch. It works well for commands accessible through the Shark FX menus. However, I almost immediately found out that some of the commands/tools (e.g. Smooth Curve, Elevate Curve, Modify Slope, Add Spline Point and Remove Spline Point) are only accessible through the SFX graphical interface. They do exist in the SFX shortcut registration panel (sometimes under a different name—"Smooth Curve"="Fair Spline"!!!) but for the sake of consistency and ease of administration I'd much rather manage all shortcuts in one place and through a single interface.

Am I missing something obvious, or is there really no way to access all SFX tools/commands through any route other than the tool icons? The user's manual only mentions only the icons for these commands so I'm at this point a bit worried that there may not be.

If not, are there even tentative plans to implement multi-key shortcuts natively in SFX?

I'm feeling a bit frustrated at this point and hope that someone more knowledgable than me can provide some hints to help break through this apparent brick wall.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:10:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarified description title

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)
SharkCad Pro v10.0.0 (1335)
zircon  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:30:19 AM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

For what it's worth, I found Keyboard Maestro's image recognition functionality can be used to access and click icons and other UI components that have no menus of their own. While I may have to tweak the macros if e.g. the interface changes, it seems to work for now.

...or so I thought. KM also reacts to keystrokes typed into e.g. dimension value input boxes and such.

I know I could also make two sets of shortcuts, one native and one using the external app, but again I hate dividing information when I can store it in one. At this point I've registered 56. Should have tested along the way, I guess. Ii'll see if I can make the macros conditional... if not I may either have to store the single-key shortcuts natively after all.

Edited by user Monday, January 23, 2017 7:58:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)
zircon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:01:25 AM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

OK—another shortcut solved that issue. It moves the cursor to the first input field (when one is active) and selects the contents, then disables all assigned shortcuts until I press return. Once in the input field I can move between it and possible other input fields using tab/shift-tab and edit the contents at will...

So far so good.
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:26:38 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>> some of the commands/tools (e.g. Smooth Curve, Elevate Curve, Modify Slope, Add Spline Point and Remove Spline Point)

The spline short cuts should now have the same name as the tool palette.

Tim

Tim Olson attached the following image(s):
splineShort.png (193kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
zircon  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 12:33:19 PM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

Thanks, Tim

There are inconsistencies in the naming of other commands as well. I've attached a list I compiled as part of my project, It lists the shortcut names and actual command names. There is a multitude of minor differences, and some that are more major.

The first three columns of the sheet are Menu, Submenu and Command. Command indicates the name of the command as given in SFX shortcut list. Submenu is the menu/category given in the same. Menu is the location inferred from actual menus.

The fourth column—"Menus?"—is where I wrote whether there is a menu item that corresponds to the offered shortcut. Many only have icons, and some I could not identify.

Real Menu and Real Submenu columns show the real location of each corresponding menu item. Real Command gives its name as written in the regular menu, if the name differs from the name of the shortcut. Many do.

While most relationships are fairly clear, some were hard to infer and some I've not been at all able to correlate.

I've included the list in the hope it may be of use to you, should you want to increase consistency of the names, or to someone else like me who likes to play with shortcuts.

Edited by user Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:28:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added a CSV file for anyone who wants to manipulate the data.

File Attachment(s):
Shortcuts.pdf (65kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
Shortcuts.csv.zip (6kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Shortcuts2.csv.zip (9kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 1:38:37 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together! We will take a look at.
Tim

Edited by user Monday, January 30, 2017 1:39:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
zircon  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:31:37 AM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

Hi Tim,

Glad to be of help. I've added another zipped cvs file to my previous post that may be a bit more comprehensive and clear than the original upload.

1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)