logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grsychckn  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 1:06:47 PM(UTC)
grsychckn

I used SketchUp to create a model I'm trying to send to my machinist for a prototype. He needs it in IGES format so I just purchased ViaCAD with the powertools so I could use it to convert my SketchUp drawing to IGES. When I import the *.skp into ViaCAD it seems to work but it creates TONS of polygons that I don't think should be there. Below is an image showing a hole that created several polygons. Can someone suggest to me how I can "clean up" my drawing in ViaCAD so it only has the holes and not the multiple surfaces?

sketchup-export-image
grsychckn  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 1:12:31 PM(UTC)
grsychckn

Let me add that ANYTIME I try to use tools like "convert to tris" on one of my meshes ViaCAD crashes. When I try to export as IGES it crashes, when I export as DWG it hangs and eventually crashes. It seems I made a bad choice in software so I might be claiming a refund.
GARLIC  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 2:05:03 PM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grsychckn Go to Quoted Post
I used SketchUp to create a model I'm trying to send to my machinist for a prototype. He needs it in IGES format so I just purchased ViaCAD with the powertools so I could use it to convert my SketchUp drawing to IGES. When I import the *.skp into ViaCAD it seems to work but it creates TONS of polygons that I don't think should be there. Below is an image showing a hole that created several polygons. Can someone suggest to me how I can "clean up" my drawing in ViaCAD so it only has the holes and not the multiple surfaces?

sketchup-export-image

I think there is a profound misunderstanding of the nature of sketchup: it is NOT a nurbs modeler !

regards

grsychckn  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 3:13:46 PM(UTC)
grsychckn

Originally Posted by: GARLIC Go to Quoted Post
I think there is a profound misunderstanding of the nature of sketchup: it is NOT a nurbs modeler !

regards

I think there is a profound misunderstanding of what "help" or "answering a question" means. Also, putting regards at the end does not help make a condescending statement more palatable.

Anyone want to help it would be appreciated.

L. Banasky  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 4:04:08 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
If your model is not proprietary, post it, and we can try to work on it.
Larry
grsychckn  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 6:11:32 PM(UTC)
grsychckn

Originally Posted by: L. Banasky Go to Quoted Post
If your model is not proprietary, post it, and we can try to work on it.
Larry

Larry, I haven't decided on if it's proprietary just yet and I thought I'd attempt to learn how to fix the mistake I made so my machinist doesn't have to. Perhaps it would be better for me to ask this: Would it be faster/easier for me to recreate it or try to modify the imported SketchUp model in ViaCAD? Below are a few pictures of my model.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 8:37:29 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>> I try to use tools like "convert to tris" on one of my meshes ViaCAD crashes.

>>When I try to export as IGES it crashes, when I export as DWG it hangs and eventually crashes.

Would it be possible to send development your file with steps to repeat using the link below? IF it is too big, I can send a private email with a drop box location. This would would be a priority to look at. If you add CONFIDENTIAL to the name it will stay internal.

http://www.punchcadlabs.com/page10/page10.php

>>Would it be faster/easier for me to recreate it or try to modify the imported SketchUp model in ViaCAD?

I've converted a few SketchUp models using PowerPack Pro's Mesh to Analytic tool. Below is a link to some examples showing how to convert SketchUp Files. SketchUp is a polygon modeler that does not require watertight models so the ease of conversion to precise solids may depend on how it was constructed.

http://masterviacad.com/videos/page64/index.html

Tim

Edited by user Saturday, November 5, 2016 8:49:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
grsychckn  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 6:49:06 AM(UTC)
grsychckn

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>> I try to use tools like "convert to tris" on one of my meshes ViaCAD crashes.

>>When I try to export as IGES it crashes, when I export as DWG it hangs and eventually crashes.

Would it be possible to send development your file with steps to repeat using the link below? IF it is too big, I can send a private email with a drop box location. This would would be a priority to look at. If you add CONFIDENTIAL to the name it will stay internal.

http://www.punchcadlabs.com/page10/page10.php

>>Would it be faster/easier for me to recreate it or try to modify the imported SketchUp model in ViaCAD?

I've converted a few SketchUp models using PowerPack Pro's Mesh to Analytic tool. Below is a link to some examples showing how to convert SketchUp Files. SketchUp is a polygon modeler that does not require watertight models so the ease of conversion to precise solids may depend on how it was constructed.

http://masterviacad.com/videos/page64/index.html

Tim

Tim, thank you. I was unaware the PowerPack Pro even existed. Obviously I'm new to CAD programs and don't have a large budget, but had I known about the bundle with PowerPack Pro I might have purchased that instead of the ViaCAD with PowerPack. I may have to contact support to see what options I have to upgrade without paying the full price.

I did however send a request to download the beta version so I could try it on my model. It would be a shame if I paid that money only to find out my model causes it to crash as well.

As far as the debugging is concerned I don't have a problem sending you my model as it is just larger than the maximum file size for the upload/support page you linked. If you could send me a message with the location to forward my model I'd be happy to share it.
grsychckn  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 7:29:25 AM(UTC)
grsychckn

Update:
1. I realized what I requested was the beta version of ViaCAD Pro 10 which didn't come with the PowerPack Pro tools.
2. I could submit two of my components and that would probably fit under the max size of 2MB. I'll do that this afternoon.
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:51:35 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>> I may have to contact support to see what options I have to upgrade without paying the full price.

If you decide PowerPack Pro is needed, you can upgrade for the difference in price.

>> It would be a shame if I paid that money only to find out my model causes it to crash as well.

I did some general tests with exporting SketchUp models and could not get it to crash. An example file would be great to track this down.

I also put a new beta build up last night for ViaCAD Pro with PowerPack Pro. It is fully functional so you can try the extra tools out to see if they help.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
grsychckn  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 6:33:17 AM(UTC)
grsychckn

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>> I may have to contact support to see what options I have to upgrade without paying the full price.

If you decide PowerPack Pro is needed, you can upgrade for the difference in price.

>> It would be a shame if I paid that money only to find out my model causes it to crash as well.

I did some general tests with exporting SketchUp models and could not get it to crash. An example file would be great to track this down.

I also put a new beta build up last night for ViaCAD Pro with PowerPack Pro. It is fully functional so you can try the extra tools out to see if they help.

Tim

Tim,

I just downloaded the latest (1314) build of the beta ViaCAD Pro and the PowerPack Pro is not included. Is that a separate download?

Also, I'm waiting for your link to a dropbox location so I can upload my model.

Thanks.
grsychckn  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 6:36:17 AM(UTC)
grsychckn

Also, I've already started from scratch manually translating from SketchUp to ViaCAD Pro and have run into one major problem. I can bend my object in one direction (90 degrees) but I need it bent in the other direction (-90 degrees). When I try to bend in negative 90 degrees, it shows an error stating that it would invalidate my object. I tried bending 270 degrees and that orients the panel correctly but I have a loop for a bend. Can you help me figure out how to correctly bend my piece?
jlm  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 6:58:03 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grsychckn Go to Quoted Post
Also, I've already started from scratch manually translating from SketchUp to ViaCAD Pro and have run into one major problem. I can bend my object in one direction (90 degrees) but I need it bent in the other direction (-90 degrees). When I try to bend in negative 90 degrees, it shows an error stating that it would invalidate my object. I tried bending 270 degrees and that orients the panel correctly but I have a loop for a bend. Can you help me figure out how to correctly bend my piece?

Yes, I checked on SFX and I get the same error, even with a very simple solid.
It must be a bug...

jlm attached the following image(s):
Capture d’écran 2016-11-07 à 13.56.04.png (127kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
L. Banasky  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 12:53:03 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
The only success I've had with bending, is to draw your bend line on the top of the solid , it will bend to that direction.
To bend opposite, draw the bend line on the bottom. After each bend it rotates the object, causing more work.
It's easier to draw the bent object and extrude the whole piece at once.
The 'BEND' tool, still needs some work.
Larry
BillB  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:58:25 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
The only success I've had with bending, is to draw your bend line on the top of the solid , it will bend to that direction.
To bend opposite, draw the bend line on the bottom. After each bend it rotates the object, causing more work.
Larry

Bend will fail if the inner radius of the bend is less than the thickness than the piece being bent. So you can put a 50.1mm radius bend at a negative angle into a 50mm thick solid, but not a 50mm one.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:01:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BillB attached the following image(s):
Bend.jpg (281kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
grsychckn  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:15:49 AM(UTC)
grsychckn

Originally Posted by: BillB Go to Quoted Post
Larry

Bend will fail if the inner radius of the bend is less than the thickness than the piece being bent. So you can put a 50.1mm radius bend at a negative angle into a 50mm thick solid, but not a 50mm one.

Thanks for the update, I'll give that a try tonight and see if it succeeds in the negative direction. However, why can I perform a bend in the positive direction successfully when the radius is .1mm on a 2mm panel? It seems odd that it only fails in the negative direction. After thinking about it, I wonder if there is code automatically adjusting the radius if it is set thinner than the material and for whatever reason that is only being used on positive angles.