logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbskaggs  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:59:48 PM(UTC)
jbskaggs

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi I am using the v 10 beta. I have a model that renders great when I photorender it. But when I render to file it looks terrible. I noticed that VIacad keeps a copy of the last rendered image- but where does it keep that and how can I use it versus render to file?
WaveMechanic  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 6:00:03 PM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
jbskaggs,

I don't know how much help I can be since I don't have time to beta-test v10, nor do I have it loaded on my computer. However, I'm wondering if it makes any difference what kind of file you save it as (e.g. .jpg, .bmp, .tga, etc.)? What are the render settings? Could you post a small sample of what the bad render-to-file looks like?

My apologies if you have already thought of (or tried) the items above...

Tim (NOT Tim O.)

Edited by user Saturday, October 1, 2016 6:00:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
ViaCAD 2D/3D and PRO V9 1184, Blender 2.49-2.78.
Win 7 SP1, Core I5, 64-bit, NVIDIA G105M
jbskaggs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 11:23:43 PM(UTC)
jbskaggs

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
It seems saving as jpg and having "use antialias feature following" selected in render settings made a big deal.

WaveMechanic  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2016 7:33:52 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The .jpg format is compressed and quality can be noticeably affected. I would also try .bmp or the other available formats where file size is larger, but you don't lose as much quality from compression. I notice that ViaCAD does not allow you to set the amount of compression for .jpg (at least I don't see any options to do so). My v9 of ViaCAD Pro does, however, render to file just fine even using .jpg. Antialias can indeed make a huge difference, as you already mentioned. Anyway, is your problem solved?

EDIT UPDATE: I just rendered some objects to file in .jpg format using ViaCAD Pro v9 Build 1184. The render settings were "Raytrace (shadows,anti-alias"), but with "Anti-Alias Feature Following" turned OFF (i.e. NOT checked). My .jpg image looks fine.

So maybe you really have found a bug in the v10 beta? A small sample image may still help...

Tim (not Tim O.)

Edited by user Sunday, October 2, 2016 9:47:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Update with added information.

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
ViaCAD 2D/3D and PRO V9 1184, Blender 2.49-2.78.
Win 7 SP1, Core I5, 64-bit, NVIDIA G105M