logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matso  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2016 9:45:15 AM(UTC)
matso

Using Render Library to apply materials/surface appearance to objects, the previously applied "object color" is replaced by the new render library color.
I've looked over the various instruction videos for rendering and there it appears the object color should remain unchanged when applying a render material/surface texture. f.ex. an object assigned green as object color and polished stainless steel as rendering material/texture, as far as I understand should show as green in normal view and polished ss in rendered view. But in my drawing it does not. The green is replaced by gray (stainless steel) in normal view, making it difficult to distinguish other nearby objects of the same material.

Am I doing it wrong, or is this a bug?

Cheers,
Mats

Edited by user Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:19:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 12:09:20 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Mats

The color of the material overrides the pen color by design if "Use Object Color" is turned off. Not sure I've always agreed with that as well.

A Layer Color override will override material and pen color if that helps.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
matso  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:53:12 AM(UTC)
matso

Sorry for the late reply - on the road and not able to look at my drawing.
But I recall that "Use Object Color" had no effect, hence my post.
Layer Color does override material and pen color, but that's not really the issue...

The issue is that when applying a material to an object it also changes the object in normal view. This makes it very difficult to discern various object of the same material... I can't imagine this is the intended functionality...

Cheers,

Mats
matso  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:06:01 AM(UTC)
matso

HI Tim,

Thanks for your reply!
I'm back after extensive travels, so digging into this issue again.

I have numerous parts made up from the same material, in this case Stainless Steel.
In Normal View it is beneficial to give each part a different Object Color, in order to tell them apart.
In Render View however they should all show the material color/texture assigned to them with Render Library.

The problem I'm experiencing - and I can't believe it's the intended functionality - is that (as mentioned in the original post) when assigning a material/texture the color in Normal View changes to the assigned material color, if Use Object Color is not checked. That's fine. Checking it enables me to tell different objects apart in Normal View.

However, and this is the problem, if Use Object Color is checked then the Render View does not show the assigned material color/texture - it shows the Object Color! Completely illogical behavior IMHO. I mean, I could change/unchange Use Object Color for hundreds of objects every time I want to view a Render, but that is not going to happen :-)

Seems to me that there is an issue with Use Object Color in Render View. I don't remember it being an issue in v.8 but I could be wrong - please advise with a solution as this is seriously hampering productivity.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Layer Color is not the solution to this problem unless I assign each part to a layer, and that's not practical...

Cheers,

Mats

Edited by user Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:09:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Craig  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:19:28 AM(UTC)
Craig

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I am using V8 and we have never been able to have two colour modes, if Use Object Colour is checked it will show the objects colour and not the render library colour in both render and normal modes.
If Use Object Colour is not checked it will show the render library colour in both render and normal modes.
matso  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:23:58 AM(UTC)
matso

Thanks Craig!

I understand, but seems completely illogical to me.
Why would one not want to see Render material/texture in Render View? That's the whole point of doing a render!
Likewise, why would one not want to see the Object Color in Normal view??

Seems to me like the Use Object Color checkbox functionality is counter logical...

Cheers,

Mats
Craig  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 12:32:42 AM(UTC)
Craig

Too true Mats,

why was the function even thought of in the first place, why would a user want to see the render materials in modelling mode and why would a user want to see the objects native colours in render mode?

Crazy!
thanks 1 user thanked Craig for this useful post.
matso on 4/24/2016(UTC)
jlm  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:26:47 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Craig Go to Quoted Post
Too true Mats,

why was the function even thought of in the first place, why would a user want to see the render materials in modelling mode and why would a user want to see the objects native colours in render mode?

Crazy!

I also wonder why :
- black color is displayed as dark grey
- Lead color is darker than black.

- white color displayed as light grey
- Mercury color is whiter than white...

thanks 2 users thanked jlm for this useful post.
Craig on 4/24/2016(UTC), matso on 4/24/2016(UTC)
matso  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 4:17:12 AM(UTC)
matso

Tim,

Could you please give us some insight on this?!

M

Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 10:44:46 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Could you please give us some insight on this?!
>>The issue is that when applying a material to an object it also changes the object in normal view.

I remember when the developer did this there was a lot of conversation about it with users supporting the behavior. It is actually working as designed with some users/designs expecting this behavior. I know we have example files that rely on the behavior. I agree we should consider changing it, but it would likely have to be with a major release like v10.

Tim

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Craig  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:09:24 AM(UTC)
Craig

I am having a hard time trying to understand why it would be designed like that, what would be the point Tim?

A person cannot see the render materials in modelling mode, and why would they want to see the objects native colours in render mode if they have added render materials?
This function in Blender actually has 3 modes, no colours added in modelling mode so you work with grey meshes, the same kind of button as Shark has if you want to colour your objects in modelling mode and the render material settings.
matso  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:37:37 PM(UTC)
matso

Thanks Tim for your honest reply!

-So, as far as I'm concerned, for all intents and purposes, the program lacks a useable Render Mode...

M