logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:09:33 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Is it possible that there could be comma-delimited values instead of engineering/scientific exponential values in the View Properties?

I think that is the case in the BOM, but in the view screen, I have to do mental gymnastics or resort to paper to move commas. If the dialog box could be a wee bit wider and commas used, or if the U/I would ask us what presentation we want, that would be swell!
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:22:36 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can change this in the preferences, under 'localisation'

:)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:19:31 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

ttrw wrote:
You can change this in the preferences, under 'localisation'

:)

I thought i tried that, but it seemed to affect most of the other dimensions (dimensions and (i think/IIRC) the BOM, etc.) but *not* the palette-located presentation. When inspecting items, I'm looking at pieces of steel ~60' wide by ~35' tall, and about 5/8" thick, so when I jump around to different structural components, it's just nice to be able to visually see quickly whether I'm looking at 6 digits or 7 digits w/o thinking about exponents, like the ones in the Verify area.

I'll check again.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:32:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
The localization setting under Prefs should change all decimal displays into commas including dialog boxes. Properties seemed aok for me when I checked.

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:53:46 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Tim Olson wrote:
The localization setting under Prefs should change all decimal displays into commas including dialog boxes. Properties seemed aok for me when I checked.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

I checked everything having to do with units or display of units.

In Localization, the only option I see s "Use Comma as Decimal". I toggled on and off and each time checked Verify/Properties, with no change apparent.

In Units, I toggled Display Decimal Angles (on the off chance it might be interrelated...) and Display Value Units, and no removal of any exponential presentation of values.

In Verify/Mass Properties, for the weight field, I still get 'e+005' or 'e+006' for my objects, as they are on the order of 1371.083 cu ft and SAE 4140 steel, when units is set to feet. When units is set to inches, then Volume goes into 'e+006' trailing the numbers.

Rende: [Steel] SAE 4140
Volume: 2.369e+006
Weight: 6.705e+005

I probably can live with this, but it would be "sweet" if some of non-engineers could look at "lay numbers".
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:07:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In all fairness, and I see what you are doing now, but there isn't really any other way of writing these numbers, unless you fancy counting a lot of noughts one by one! (which believe me, is far more difficult!!). These figures really ARE in layman's terms already!

The figure with an 'e' in the middle, is there to calculate Youngs Modulus, and it is an extremely important figure to know, if you want your model to by built for sustainability- ie for it to last over time, and be constructed for the least amount of money.

My advice is to read up on this stuff- Wikipedia is a good place to start, as it really is worth getting your head round these figures. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngs_Modulus
ZeroLengthCurve  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:55:34 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

ttrw wrote:

My advice is to read up on this stuff- Wikipedia is a good place to start, as it really is worth getting your head round these figures. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngs_Modulus

Will do. Thanks! I guess I'll have to start dumping things to the .txt files or out to BOMs and keeping my spreadsheets up-to-date... not a bad thing, since it's an eventuality anyway, for me.