logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rolandw  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:15:27 AM(UTC)
rolandw

United Kingdom

As reported some time ago in this post, models, when rendered at a z of 0 can seem to be floating above the background. This means that shadows appear to never meet the objects. I can guess how far below the model is that the background or floor is and try to move it down but hey, the floor moves too.

Now if I start a new document and simply add a cube to it at z=0 and render it, it appears to be sat on the floor. If I move it up to z=100 the the background seems to move with it. It becomes impossible to make the item float without adding something new under it. However, I can move the model to z=100 and cut from it another block at z=0 with a height of, say, 150, thereby giving the impression that the item now has a z=150 and the shadow moves up with it.

That then gives me a clue - perhaps there is something under my model? Nope. Checked that. Well at least I think I have. I can't find something below it. Mind you, there were things below my model which aren't ever seen - like objects that I have cut from visible objects.

Is there a way to fix this? How can I move my objects onto the background or, more obviously, move the background to be an infinite plane at z=0? Is there a way of managing the background's position? What is it that actually sets the position of the background?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:28:30 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
You might want to try the ShadowCatcher reflectance shader. And turn off the Auto Floor options such that your shadow catcher creates a "custom floor".

Attached is a file with a floor. right click on the floor and Edit Material to see some example settings I've used.

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:29:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 11.28.15 AM.png (518kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
shadowCatcher.sfx (540kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore