logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
flatpack  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:40:21 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I need a new mac laptop so here's my first question:

Anyone run ViaCad 9 on a recent (2014-2015) MacBook Air? Basically is it sufficient in terms of video card, processing etc. My work is only of mid-level complexity. I travel often for work and generally pack quite light so I'd like to not have to carry a heavier macbook pro. Plus I'd rather not spend that much extra if possible.

Second question:

I'm considering ending my use of Shark at v8. Reason being because I only use for solid modeling. Love the new woodworking tools but can't justify paying the price for the upgrade to 9 when I can buy VC 9 for a lot less and get those new tools. I NEVER use nurbs but would like to experiment with the new sub-d features.

Am I going to miss anything from Shark if replaced with ViaCad 9? I only render in Keyshot. But I use model-to-sheet, complete dimensioning, and BOM, so am I correct that each of these exists in VC?

Thanks anyone.
posh.de  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 6:19:01 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
OpenGL-based 3D modelers as Shark/VC do require a capable = dedicated video card as e.g. a nVidia GeForce GTX, the integrated intel HD/Iris video subsystem is good for office/internet/video but typically slow and without a mature OpenGL support which therefore may lead to screen artefacts etc.

in VC the model 2 sheet doesn't generate analytic circles/arcs but line-based equivalents aka polygons... which obvíously cannot be used in connection with e.g. a diameter/radius dimension.

btw, you always use NURBS because Shark/VC is a NURBS modeler for surfaces as well as volumes.

Norbert

Edited by user Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:04:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: grammar

#3 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 6:36:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
isn't it polylines instead of polygons?
flatpack  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 8:12:10 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
OpenGL-based 3D modelers as Shark/VC do require a capable = dedicated video card as e.g. a nVidia GeForce GTX, the integrated intel HD/Iris video subsystem is good for office/internet/video but typically slow and without a mature OpenGL support which may lead to screen artefacts etc.

in VC the model 2 sheet doesn't generate analytic circles/arcs but line-based equivalents aka polygons... which obvíously cannot be used in connection with e.g. a diameter/radius dimension.

btw, you always use NURBS because Shark/VC is a NURBS modeler for surfaces as well as volumes.

Norbert

Sorry I didn't realize nurbs were a part of solid modeling - I was under the impression they were only used to calculate surfaces. thanks for pointing it out.

So what you're saying is that the video card in the macbook air is NOT sufficient to run Shark/VC "WELL ENOUGH". In other words it will possibly run slow(er)... right? The same goes for the macbook Pro too?

What would be a good PC laptop to run Shark/VC?

Thank you.
*oh and yes model-to-sheet being unable to form true circles and arcs is going to be a problem. So maybe ViaCad won't be enough. Shark v9 might be better.. if it weren't for the upgrade price.

Edited by user Monday, March 2, 2015 8:14:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

macnavi  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:45:13 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Here someone speaking with daily experience with an 11 inch MacBook Air (mid 2011, 1.8 Ghz i7) and MacBook Pro 13 (Late 2013, 2.4 Ghz i5).

The MacBook Air is my personal machine, the MacBook Pro is work. I mainly use the MacBook Air with ViaCad 2d/3D 8 and 9 (less 9, as I find it still as if it is in beta state). I design model trains and find my MacBook Air performing well when designing. The difference will be noticed when exporting complicated designs to STL, in my case. I've benchmarked these two computers against each other. A very complicated design to STL on the MacBook Air took 20 minutes, on the MacBook Pro 10 minutes.

Even though I run mostly ViaCad 8 on the Air and 9 on the Pro, I didn't really see the 64 bit architecture of 9 making a real difference.

For my next Mac, I would still buy an Air. It is only the export time for complicated models making a difference, not when designing. The difference in weight is huge. I don't like carrying the Pro with me, from the moment I had the 11 inch Air in my hands. Now there is the new, beautiful 12 inch MacBook as well, but we can't discard that for real 3D design, as its processor is really not made for that. Another tip: pay a bit more to get the 512GB flash drive, you'll need the space.

At home I connect to a 23 inch external display, but as I'm so used working on the 11 inch display, often I don't even make the working window larger. :D

Let me know if you have more questions.
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:16:28 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: flatpack Go to Quoted Post
So what you're saying is that the video card in the macbook air is NOT sufficient to run Shark/VC "WELL ENOUGH". In other words it will possibly run slow(er)... right?

...the integrated intel HD/Iris video subsystem is ... typically slow and without a mature OpenGL support which therefore may lead to screen artefacts etc.

and you cannot change the video card of a notebook...

The same goes for the macbook Pro too?

MBPs typically do have a dedicated video subsystem... performance comparison here.

What would be a good PC laptop to run Shark/VC?

depends on the operating system, go for something w/ a recent intel Core i5/i7 and a dedicated video card (nVidia GeForce GTX series) and min. 8 GB RAM... if Windoze and small is beautiful check the new Dell XPS 13.

Edited by user Friday, March 13, 2015 4:36:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

flatpack  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:01:00 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Originally Posted by: macnavi Go to Quoted Post
Even though I run mostly ViaCad 8 on the Air and 9 on the Pro, I didn't really see the 64 bit architecture of 9 making a real difference.

For my next Mac, I would still buy an Air. It is only the export time for complicated models making a difference, not when designing. The difference in weight is huge. I don't like carrying the Pro with me, from the moment I had the 11 inch Air in my hands. Now there is the new, beautiful 12 inch MacBook as well, but we can't discard that for real 3D design, as its processor is really not made for that. Another tip: pay a bit more to get the 512GB flash drive, you'll need the space.

I agree about the weight thing.. thats one of the main reasons why. I was originally thinking to get viacad 9 instead of upgrading from Shark FX 8 to 9, but I am now considering it.

Do you think Shark would also have a similar experience in terms of not really being bogged down except with exporting?

I don't really do any 3D printing, just modeling and cad drawings so I only export to DXF. Well except for rendering in Keyshot in which I export as OBJ. Do you think OBJ files would be a pain to export on an MBA?

I guess what I'm asking, is there a "lag" anytime when running VC your MBA vs the MBP?

Thanks!
flatpack  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:07:54 PM(UTC)
flatpack

depends on the operating system, go for something w/ a recent intel Core i5/i7 and a dedicated video card (nVidia GeForce GTX series) and min. 8 GB RAM... if Windoze and small is beautiful check the new Dell XP 13.

Thanks, although I am not particularly fond of the windows operating systems, I will compare. I love the mac OS X interface, as I imagine most "mac" people do, but I do not like the fact that you can't upgrade or build-your-own mac like you can with PCs.

What is your opinion on the reliability of Dell computers as a brand? Do they use the same parts as all the other makers?

Thank you!

murray  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:29:22 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
There are fewer exchange formats in VCP compared to Shark, and fewer in Mac versions than there are in PC, if that means anything to you. Another recent Windows machine that gets good reviews and favorable comparison with Macness is HP's Spectre x360.