logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmurphy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:08:06 PM(UTC)
tmurphy

I have searched, but not yet stumbled on the technique to insert special characters in dimension text.

Examples:

1) If I want a #31 drill, I can't get # to print (tried several common escape characters), as # signifies the dimension data

2) If I delete the phi (diameter) symbol in one hole callout, it does not appear in subsequent callouts and I would like to know how to get it back or re-invoke without quitting and restarting(!)

3) Many other symbols are useful in dimensioning: countersink, counterbore, depth, etc. Are these accessible?

Are there escape sequences I should know about or a method to insert special characters in general?

Thanks!
Tom
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:18:55 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmurphy Go to Quoted Post

1) If I want a #31 drill, I can't get # to print (tried several common escape characters), as # signifies the dimension data
Tom

Tom
Use Dimension callout instead of diameter dimension tool if you want to use #

2) If I delete the phi (diameter) symbol in one hole callout, it does not appear in subsequent callouts and I would like to know how to get it back or re-invoke without quitting and restarting(!)
Tom

You have to add the symbol back in the top when the dimension is active. If you want to change individual dimensions just select the individual dimension after creating and open the inspector (data tab) vs changing in the top when the dimension tool is active.

3) Many other symbols are useful in dimensioning: countersink, counterbore, depth, etc. Are these accessible?
Tom

Yes you can access based on the font selected and using the alt keyboard commands or copy and paste from character map.

Are there escape sequences I should know about or a method to insert special characters in general?
Tom

You can insert any font symbol if you know the alt code (must use the dedicated number keys )or copy and paste from the character map.
U+2335 is countersink for example.

You can create a separate file or symbol with all your common characters and just open that file and copy and paste when dimensioning.

you can use /P to create multi lines in a dimension

Regards
Jason

Windows 11, 10
tmurphy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:24:20 AM(UTC)
tmurphy

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the significant clues.

I am fine with the notion of adding the phi (diam) symbol back in the top window when the dimension is active. But by what mechanism do I get a phi to appear? Not on the keyboard. Cut/paste does not appear to work. What actual keystrokes or mouse clicks result in successful insertion of the phi symbol? I tried maybe 5 possible techniques, but stopped after that.

Also, the alt keyboard commands: could you elaborate? If I want to enter the U+2335 symbol, what keystrokes am I using?

Sorry to ask you to spell it out, but I think this is precisely where my trouble is: what magic keyboard sequence (absent apparent documentation) will result in success?

Thanks,
Tom
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:44:26 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Tom

What system are you on windows or Mac?

So to add symbols in fonts you hold down alt key while pressing the sequence for a particular symbol.

So in arial Unicode font alt+U2330 is the diameter symbol. So hold down alt and press u2330 in order and the symbol will insert.(remember you have to use the number keys on a full keyboard that are decitated to numbers the ones off to the right side of keyboard)
If you are on windows you can also open the character map select the font and symbol and copy and paste.

As far as when in the dimension command don't clear the dia symbol and the # sign out of the top bar instead select the dimension and change it in the inspector tab

the number sign in the dimension field equals the true value of the dimension. So when you clear it you can type a dim value to override the true value. Replace it and the true value is back.

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
tmurphy  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 12:01:58 AM(UTC)
tmurphy

Hi Jason,

Thanks again for the information and patience. Alas I am using a Mac on a laptop (MacBook Pro 13") without a dedicated number pad. The primary reason I have picked up ViaCAD is its ability to run on native Mac (rare for CAD). If I ran Windows I would likely opt for SolidWorks as I know it relatively well. Parallels/Bootcamp unacceptable.

So I may not be able to insert arbitrary unicode characters, or shop from a character map. Bummer. I did find that alt-o produces something that looks passably like a diameter phi, so chalk up an incremental victory thanks to the alt key...

For amusement, when I type alt-u2330, I get ¨™££º To me, it looks like it's already going off the rails when I hit the u key, as it puts in tiny quotes or umlaut or something and does not appear to be holding off on pringint a character whil it waits for more data. Maybe it would sort itself out, but it seems like a bad start...

Tom
#6 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 3:26:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi Tom,

you may also use PopChar or Characters:

http://www.ergonis.com/products/popcharx/
https://itunes.apple.com...p/characters/id536511979

best wishes
- Bernd -
BillB  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 4:23:24 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
On a mac the diameter sign, ø, is alt-o

if you open the Keyboard Viewer, (System Preferences->Input Sources->Show Input Menu in menu bar) you get a direct indication of what character each key combination will produce.

As far as I know you can't use the ACSII codes (alt-u2330 etc) directly on a mac.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
tmurphy  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 11:32:38 PM(UTC)
tmurphy

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post

I tried Characters for $2.99. Nice app, and paste into dimension text works fine. But does not contain depth, counterbore, countersink, and similar machining symbols. I don't know if PopChar ($20) is worth it for me to get these symbols at this point--and have not verified that it would actually provide the symbols I seek.

I'm going to explore other ways to print unicode (e.g., Python) and maybe cut and paste from there.
tmurphy  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 11:44:27 PM(UTC)
tmurphy

Following the substantial hints along the lines of "cut and paste the appropriate Unicode character," I have two methods that work-ish:

1) In Python interactive window (type python in Terminal window), type, e.g., print unichr(0x2334) to get counterbore. Then you can cut and paste the result into the dimension text entry box.

2) At a website like: http://www.fileformat.in...ode/category/So/list.htm simply find the character you want in the table and cut & paste from there.

They may come out a little small, but I'll be exploring ways around this next (mixed font sizes?).
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:59:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Tom

Have you tried activating the character viewer on the Mac?

Regards
Jason
rokoko  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:15:37 AM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)

hi,
in the character viewer of mac there are two alternatives for number sign: small number sign and fullwidth number sign. try to insert one of them instead of standard number sign (double click on sign)

for counterbore and countersink sign you could use a special font, e.g. "osifont" http://code.google.com/p/osifont/downloads/list which is adapted for european cad.
"apple symbols" font has also a counterbore symbol

see pictures

Edited by user Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:50:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rokoko attached the following image(s):
NumberSign.png (38kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
osifont.png (9kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
counterbore.png (27kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac