logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
workshopswarf  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:38:01 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

I must be missing something obvious but could someone explain what is happening here.
I create for example a cylinder using the primitives tool. I can change the length and diameter from the data entry window. I then make a copy of the cylinder using transform/ ctrl. If I want to change the dimension of the copy once it has been unselected and then reselected, no
data entry window appears. Selecting the cylinder and features in concept explorer shows the cylinder to be an ACIS solid.
On a similar note what does "Duplicate with history" and "as instance" do?
workshopswarf  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 10:41:29 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Further to my question above I now realise once a solid is converted into an ACIS solid I see the history dissapears and if the part needs modifying other tools need to be used.
At what point does it become an ASIC solid? I think it is to do with parents and children but I am not sure how this works.
workshopswarf  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 1:28:45 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Further to my question above I now realise once a solid is converted into an ACIS solid I see the history dissapears and if the part needs modifying other tools need to be used.
At what point does it become an ASIC solid? I think it is to do with parents and children but I am not sure how this works.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 2:15:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>I then make a copy of the cylinder using transform/ ctrl. If I want to change >>the dimension of the copy once it has been unselected and then reselected, >>no data entry window appears.

Hi David
This should keep the cylinder type. I tried the above but could not repeat. Just to confirm, I used the Translate tool from the transform tool palette.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
workshopswarf  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:23:17 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Yes it was the translate tool from the transform tool pallet.
I have since tried to emulate and cannot either but on reflection the cylinder mentioned was not created from a primitive but by extruding circle.
So is this this criteria ?; A cylinder created from a primitive can be modified in the data entry fields later but one made from an extrusion cannot.
Sorry if my questions are very basic but I appreciate the help you give.
CNW  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 4:54:17 PM(UTC)
CNW

I have had similar issue. I did not see a response to the last question and would appreciate clarification on this. In summary: Is it correct that a shape created from an extrusion is not editable after the fact whereas a shape created with a primitive is?
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 6:08:20 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
If you extruded a circle, changing the radius of the circle will update the solid.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
rockyroad_us  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 7:05:29 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: workshopswarf Go to Quoted Post
I must be missing something obvious but could someone explain what is happening here.I create for example a cylinder using the primitives tool. I can change the length and diameter from the data entry window. I then make a copy of the cylinder using transform/ ctrl. If I want to change the dimension of the copy once it has been unselected and then reselected, no data entry window appears. Selecting the cylinder and features in concept explorer shows the cylinder to be an ACIS solid.On a similar note what does "Duplicate with history" and "as instance" do?

Hopefully you figured it out. To keep the history just duplicate with history. Common sense. LOL. Instance just gives you a duplicate as ACIS.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
CNW  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 8:14:38 PM(UTC)
CNW

Thank you gentlemen for your reply. Rockyroad - Can you elaborate on how to duplicate with history? To put in context creating a 4" square tube with 1/4" wall 26" long. If I duplicate or Translate object get an ACIS solid as you indicated with underlying geometry that is not editable for the 26" length. Additionally if you have several objects nested within one another how can you reliably select the solid as well as the underlying geometry. Example would be a shaft inserted into a bearing housing assembly. The bottom of the shaft containing geometry is not visible when selecting. You can go to wire frame mode to get there but can still be confusing. Thank you for the insight!
rockyroad_us  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2014 8:58:16 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
CNW, I presume you made the square tube with primitive solids with shelling. In that case, the duplicate with history will give you another similar solid interposed on the other one. Nothing magical happens when you duplicate the part but when you move the mouse to reselect it, you'll see another one as a selectable one that is interposed. The duplicate with history still gives acis with shelling, for instance, but the solid direct edit tools allows you to still modify it to lengthen to whatever length you want by stretching it or offsetting a face say by 4" to get a 30" long tube.

If you made the tube with concentric squares and extruded the squares to 26 and duplicate with history, the new solid doesn't maintain the history with extrusion since the solid has no history. I think the key is relative to a solid not the 2D lines. If you fiddle with the square shapes, the first solid only updates not the second one with duplicate with history. Hope this helps.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
CNW  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2014 1:18:34 AM(UTC)
CNW

Rockyroad,
Thank you for the clarification. I did the latter rather than the former. I have done a lot of 2D but am still trying to get my arms around 3D. Thank you again as the more insight I gain the more productive I will be. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Chris Williams
workshopswarf  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2014 6:52:12 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Looks like the answer to my original question then is not to use translate tool to make a copy but use "duplicate with history".