logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
flatpack  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:55:02 AM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Quite sadly now that Shark v9 will no longer have Constraints, though I will continue to use it since I also use Sub-D modeling, I need a "back up"

So I'm considering purchasing a license to Ashlar Vellum Cobalt v8. Does anyone who is familiar with the company (as I am not) know if they will continue to implement the constraints features in the Cobalt v9? I could not find a forum on their site.. Also Cobalt has the ability to make parts and assemblies which I wish Shark had.

(I used to be Misterrogers until something screwy happened with my account on here).

-Flatpack
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:02:01 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>> Does anyone who is familiar with the company

I originally licensed the Drafting Assistant from Ashlar in '96 for CADD Pro (predecessor to Shark). They liked how I extended the DA to 3D and I ended up licensing CADD Pro to Ashlar. We entered into a development and OEM agreement where I rebranded CADD Pro as Vellum Solids/Cobalt, etc until ~2006. In 2006 I licensed Ashlar a copy of the source code where they then started independent development for Cobalt.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
flatpack  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:51:48 AM(UTC)
flatpack

Interesting! I had no idea, though I can see that the two programs appear to be built under a similar platform. I take it TurboCad is also related somehow in all this...?

I wouldn't consider Cobalt if Shark had Part/Assembly and continued to carry the Constraints functions. However I understand that there may not be as much demand for constraints vs. sub-d modeling. I just wish it didn't have to be a choice between the two and both were implemented. Kind of like an All-in-one cad package rather than having to switch between a couple of programs. As you know there is already a dearth of parametric solid modelers for the Macintosh.

-flatpack
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 1:28:23 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
For a long time I used in the past Cobalt (was also Vellum Solid). To be honest I never use the constraints (via Cobalt or Shark FX). Definitely the Sub-d is more interesting. I move to Shark FX, because Cobalt has stopped development for many years. No more new features in Cobalt since 2008. Tim Olson is a visionary and want to do one of the best MCAD. He do also an excellent support and give us every time a quick data solution.
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
thanks 1 user thanked Jean-Francois Jacques for this useful post.
flatpack on 11/20/2014(UTC)
RIKARD  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2015 12:55:14 PM(UTC)
RIKARD

Man
United States

Unfortunately I was unaware of Shark/ViaCAD existed or what ever it was called back in 2008 when I purchased Cobalt for around $4,000.00...price has dropped since then, and I wasn't sure what I was getting into back then being a newbie. Especially seeing how I don't use constraints. I should have not purchased more than Xeon. I had Ashlar's Draw LT program and was so impressed how easy it was to use that I decided to buy the Cadillac version of their line-up

Since 2008 I have been waiting for an Cobalt upgrade which never happened. A couple of the news letters talked about a v.9, but it is still v.8; nothing new since 2008 as mentioned above. Being more than just slightly irritated I decide to switch to another CAD program when I came across PunchCAD. I am impressed! Shark FX 9 is every thing I was hoping Cobalt would have evolved into. I will be purchasing Shark FX v.9 with Power Pack when funds allow.

If anyone is interested in buying my Cobalt I am will to entertain this idea.

Edited by user Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:19:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: correct wording

Barabbas  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:37:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: flatpack Go to Quoted Post
Interesting! I had no idea, though I can see that the two programs appear to be built under a similar platform. I take it TurboCad is also related somehow in all this...?

I wouldn't consider Cobalt if Shark had Part/Assembly and continued to carry the Constraints functions. However I understand that there may not be as much demand for constraints vs. sub-d modeling. I just wish it didn't have to be a choice between the two and both were implemented. Kind of like an All-in-one cad package rather than having to switch between a couple of programs. As you know there is already a dearth of parametric solid modelers for the Macintosh.

-flatpack
"modelers", you said? One modeler suffices. Historically, Vellum has been the 2D/3D parametric developper for the Apple's portable computers. Then the name of the company changed to Ashlar-Vellum. I didn't buy and I don't sell their product. Since about a decade, the easy- to-use and efficient Cobalt can import and export to AutoCAD. I bought an exemplar of Via-CAD 2D/3D version 8 at 70 $ Canadian 2 weeks ago, at "Bureau en Gros" store in Montréal. Less exemplars of Cobalt are sold: consequently the price is 20 times higher. The licence for any software manufactured and distributed by Ashlar-Vellum, is FOR LIFETIME. So I will buy a computer that will handle both softwares. They are alike in the duties; they are comparable to the Peugeot and the BMW. Both have a bank of mechanical pieces /mechanisms. One could start with Via-CAD 2D/3D v.8; tthenwhen his/her budget will allow, buy a Cobalt version (any version is upgradable). If one needs a special fonctionnaliy /fonction, it could be possible to obtain a customized software.

#7 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:57:57 AM(UTC)

Barabbas,

thanks for your infomation.
As a side note and as Rikard already stated earlier, the development of Cobalt stopped completely a couple of years ago.
Furthermore the ACIS kernel is still at version 16.0.1, well that's the mathematic engine making nice geometries possible.
That is one of the reasons - imho - why Ashlar will never be able to catch up with the fantastic progress achieved by
Tim O. and the Shark / ViaCad product line.

Just my 2 cts + best wishes
Bernd
Barabbas  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:12:15 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: flatpack Go to Quoted Post

-flatpack
"modelers", you said? One modeler suffices. Historically, Vellum has been the 2D/3D parametric developper for the Apple's portable computers. Then the name of the company changed to Ashlar-Vellum. I didn't buy and I don't sell their product. Since about a decade, the easy- to-use and efficient Cobalt can import and export to AutoCAD. I bought an exemplar of Via-CAD 2D/3D version 8 at 70 $ Canadian 2 weeks ago, at "Bureau en Gros" store in Montréal. Less exemplars of Cobalt are sold: consequently the price is 20 times higher. The licence for any software manufactured and distributed by Ashlar-Vellum, is FOR LIFETIME. So I will buy a computer that will handle both softwares. They are alike in the duties; they are comparable to the Peugeot and the BMW. Both have a bank of mechanical pieces /mechanisms. One could start with Via-CAD 2D/3D v.8; tthenwhen his/her budget will allow, buy a Cobalt version (any version is upgradable). If one needs a special fonctionnaliy /fonction, it could be possible to obtain a customized software.

erratum et addendum: ___________________________________________🍎_5th line, 30 replaces 20 _________________________________________________🍏_6th line, after "LIFETIME", addition of "except for Kinetics (movement-simulation software, compatible with some well-known products of Dassault, Siemen etc)
#9 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 1:32:36 PM(UTC)

Barabbas,

As a side note and as Rikard already stated earlier, the development of Cobalt stopped completely a couple of years ago.
Furthermore the ACIS kernel is still at version 16.0.1, well that's the mathematic engine making nice geometries possible.
That is one of the reasons - imho - why Ashlar will never be able to catch up with the fantastic progress achieved by

Bernd
If you type "Cobalt and Solidworks" you will hear the testimony of persons who use both on a same project. A file exists that translates between these two tools somehow different but somehow complementary. A 6-year experienced general industrial draftsman like me could not purchase expensive softwares; nor buy more than one software non-used by employers, colleges or universities where AutoCAD, CATIA (37500 cdn$ + 6900 $ per year for licence /maintenance), SOlidWorks and ProEngineer softwares are in their respective curriculum. Thanks for your explanation. I will look on the Web for some informations on Shark software. Bernard alias barabbas

#10 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 2:21:51 PM(UTC)

Barabbas,

Bernd
If you type "Cobalt and Solidworks" you will hear the testimony of persons who use both on a same project. A file exists that translates between these two tools somehow different but somehow complementary. A 6-year experienced general industrial draftsman like me could not purchase expensive softwares; nor buy more than one software non-used by employers, colleges or universities where AutoCAD, CATIA (37500 cdn$ + 6900 $ per year for licence /maintenance), SOlidWorks and ProEngineer softwares are in their respective curriculum. Thanks for your explanation. I will look on the Web for some informations on Shark software. Bernard alias barabbas

addenda: __________________________________________<> 6th line, addition of "SolidEdge , Inventor" after SolidWorks. _____________________<> 7th line, addition of "After a brief look, I am planning to buy a Shark FX latest version software running on Windows, for higher capacity of switching /transforming back and fro between the wire mesh drawing and the solid modeling.

flatpack  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:13:52 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Originally Posted by: RIKARD Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately I was unaware of Shark/ViaCAD existed or what ever it was called back in 2008 when I purchased Cobalt for around $4,000.00...price has dropped since then, and I wasn't sure what I was getting into back then being a newbie. Especially seeing how I don't use constraints. I should have not purchased more than Xeon. I had Ashlar's Draw LT program and was so impressed how easy it was to use that I decided to buy the Cadillac version of their line-up

Since 2008 I have been waiting for an Cobalt upgrade which never happened. A couple of the news letters talked about a v.9, but it is still v.8; nothing new since 2008 as mentioned above. Being more than just slightly irritated I decide to switch to another CAD program when I came across PunchCAD. I am impressed! Shark FX 9 is every thing I was hoping Cobalt would have evolved into. I will be purchasing Shark FX v.9 with Power Pack when funds allow.

If anyone is interested in buying my Cobalt I am will to entertain this idea.

Rikard, thanks for your comments. Didn't realize Cobalt was once 4-grand. Totally not worth that price considering a i can buy a seat of SW for exactly that amount. I am going to agree with you on Shark. Its a fantastic cad package for my type of work and a clean interface. I am slowly giving up the idea that i need constraints but will continue to maintain my v8 even when I eventually upgrade to 9. I just don't really need the sub-d modeling a whole lot, since I work with wood and metal. One of the only things I can see sub-d modeling being useful in for me MIGHT be in decorative carvings and intricate overlays which have lots of "peaks" and "valleys". Since most of them are case from a resin, sub-d modeling could be quite useful in designing the mold. To be honest, I don't ever even use surface modeling just the solid tools. So not sure if Shark LT or ViaCad would be enough..? I also do a lot of 2D drafting as well and want some more tools to make shapes in Shark. The drawing tools are OK, but lets try to add more tools that can draw more intricate shapes faster. Like a Star tool perhaps where you can change the angle and number of points. That's just one example.. the polygon tool is OK but could also be a star tool, no? More drawing tools for rapid form exploration!

Mr. Tim, please if you are reading this, note that I really want to be able to use Shark as a tool for realizing and exploring new shapes quickly. Sometimes I don't have a perfect design all made up in my head, and I want to throw out random geometry that isn't so rigid and "cad" like all the time. I suppose surface modeling can get me there, but can we develop new drawing tools that able to balance between making silly squiggles and meaningful shapes? Maybe like an "easel" or "slate" that you can switch back and forth and generate shapes with which to start. For me, I create some weird table top forms, and its hard to always do this with the ellipse / circle tools and arc tool only.

Btw is the Powerpack only for Sub-d modeling and 3D printing? I wish I could just buy the Woodworking pack of tools to go with my version of Shark v8. I'm sure there are a great many improvements, but I need those tools now, and can't afford the newly increased upgrade-price to v9.