logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:14:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I want to import an STL file and convert it to a solid but the STL file exceeds the 2000 facets limitation. The file may have as many as 1,000,000 facets. How can I reduce the number or how can I increase the number that the ViaCAD program will allow?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:36:33 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
ViaCAD will not be able to stitch that many facets.

I have some work in progress regarding converting facets to solids. You can see where I currently stand with the PowerPack docs at www.masterviacad.com.

I'm approaching the problem using two methods. The first method converts well behaved quad meshes into NURBs using IntegrityWare. This is an awesome technology that can produce some very clean solids especially if the data comes from a subdivision modeler. It also works with scanned data if you first run it through something like 3D-Coat which will remesh to smoothly behaved quads. I have not tried 3D-Coat on a STL file.

The second approach converts general triangles such as STL and SketchUp to Analytic solids. In this method I break down the facets into analytic shapes and rebuild a solid to the given tolerances.

I've also added some tools that compare the accuracy of a mesh to a solid.

Everything I've tested however is under 100,000 facets. The algorithms have not been optimized for 1M facets. To use the tools I've done, you may need to take the 1M facets and reduce using something like MeshLabs.

Tim

Edited by user Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:19:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
Jean-Francois Jacques on 10/1/2014(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:23:57 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Tim, is it the same restriction for Shark FX. I tried to convert an STL file and Shark had crash.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:24:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:53:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: Jean-Francois Jacques Go to Quoted Post
Tim, is it the same restriction for Shark FX. I tried to convert an STL file and Shark had crash.

Yes, the ACIS stitcher is not really designed for stitching facetted data. It prefers precise data. In PowerPack you have the option in the Mesh to Analytic tool to use the IntegrityWare stitcher.

If you send me the STL file I will send off to ACIS and also use to test PowerPack.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:32:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Yes, the ACIS stitcher is not really designed for stitching facetted data. It prefers precise data. In PowerPack you have the option in the Mesh to Analytic tool to use the IntegrityWare stitcher.

If you send me the STL file I will send off to ACIS and also use to test PowerPack.

Tim

I just did a test in V9 Pro. The test object in this video with about 5000 facets. The regular convert object to solids did not work and flashed up the 2000 facet limit. Instead I used the join faces to create solid tool and it turned it into a solid. Admittedly it still had the sane overall surface as the surface mesh, but it did work. I was then able to use it to perform solid operations like a boolean subtract from another solid. http://youtu.be/7uk3Ct-cj9g

In my search for solutions to this problem I ran across something called MasterViaCad Power Pack. How do I get that?

Bob La Londe
www.cncmolds.com

Bob La Londe  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:35:56 PM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Tim

I just did a test in V9 Pro. The test object in this video with about 5000 facets. The regular convert object to solids did not work and flashed up the 2000 facet limit. Instead I used the join faces to create solid tool and it turned it into a solid. Admittedly it still had the same overall surface as the surface mesh, but it did work. I was then able to use it to perform solid operations like a boolean subtract from another solid. http://youtu.be/7uk3Ct-cj9g

In my search for solutions to this problem I ran across something called MasterViaCad Power Pack. How do I get that?

Bob La Londe
www.cncmolds.com

Wow, didn't realize I was not logged in. Anyway I would like to know how to get and how to play with the PowerPack tools.

Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:27:55 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Hi Bob,

I enjoyed your video, great stuff!

For PowerPack I created a tool to convert subdivision to NURBs, which works pretty good. However, everyone tried to run non subdivision models through it. So I created a tool called Mesh to Analytic that will do some repair and simplification.

Mesh to Analytic Examples
http://www.csi-concepts....deos/meshToAnalytic2.mp4

Tool chest from another post
http://www.csi-concepts....emo/videos/toolChest.mp4

Documentation on Mesh to Analytic
http://masterviacad.com/...ackPro/powerpackpro.html

Note this stuff does not work on large STL files, scanned data, and dependent on the quality of the mesh.

Tim

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore