logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hmmueller  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:12:54 AM(UTC)
hmmueller

I do have a number of questions regarding efficiently using ViaCAD. I'll pose the questions with a specific sort of quite simple 2D drawings which I need from time to time, namely track layout of railroad stations. A simple drawing of that sort can be seen here (it is used in my website of Austrian railroad interlockings).

I started out with creating the symbols seen in the diagram (indicating semaphore signals for those who are interested). I ran into a number of usability problems - I hope someone can tell me how to use ViaCAD better.

Here is a first, very simple symbol (for a single-arm semaphore):

UserPostedImage

This blog entry and the video linked there give some hints how to create nice symbols with associated previews. In contrast to what can be seen in the video, ViaCAD9 now apparently has a "Save as Symbol..." menu item, which seemed nice ... until I tried it. As explained in the video, I resized the window to a nice preview size ...

UserPostedImage

... and did "Save as Symbol...". Unexpectedly, the window was resized ...

UserPostedImage

... and my symbol preview came out thus:

UserPostedImage

Not what I expected. I reverted to the method from the video (straight "Save As" into the symbol folder), and now it works:

UserPostedImage

Question 1: Is "Save as Symbol" buggy, or did I something wrong?

The next problem I have is creating aligned symbol previews. From the previous symbol, I created another one (two-armed semaphore):

UserPostedImage

During drawing, I resized the drawing window, and so I ended up with not quite the same drawing window to create my preview. Fortunately, I had remembered the rough grid size of the preview-creating view ... but setting up the drawing window to that size proved to be difficult. What I wanted was a window with the corners at the locations indicated in red ...

UserPostedImage

... but when I resized the window, the drawing inside started to change its size, and the red points escaped me.

Question 2: Is there some option that prevents these size changes when resizing the drawing window? If not, what's an easy and reliable way to get a drawing window of a defined size so that the symbol previews end up aligned?

With some geometric understanding (resize so that the red dots are on the diagonal of the drawing window and the "Zoom Window"), I tricked the drawing into the size I wanted. I now could create three nicely aligned previews:

UserPostedImage

Now I wanted to drop one of the symbols into my drawing. I had drawn the symbol exactly at the origin, as can be seen here:

UserPostedImage

I wanted to pull it in so that its "foot" (the origin) would be at the center of the green circle show here:

UserPostedImage

I nicely honed my cursor in on the circle's center ...

UserPostedImage

... and ... ended up with this:

UserPostedImage

Question 3
: What did I wrong?? It seems that the "anchor point" of the symbol is at some completely different point than the origin. Unfortunately, neither in the blog post nor in the video mentioned above, nor in the User's Manual could I find anything about "anchor points of symbols" ...

Thanks a lot for any enlightenment!
Harald M.

Edited by user Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:21:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Typos...

rokoko  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:14:52 PM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
hi,
window resizing for a better symbol preview is no longer needed. the new "save as symbol" does it automatically.
afaik a special anchor-funktionality for symbols doesn't exist. the "anchor" will always be the center of symbol extents.
after dragging into drawing you can move your symbol to desired location.

if you really need special "anchors", you have to use a work-around.

sorry, i am unable to add pictures

regards
viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
hmmueller  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:21:37 PM(UTC)
hmmueller

Unfortunately, I have found out that ViaCAD 9 has a serious bug in connection with custom symbols, which makes it quite unusable.
Here is how to recreate the bug:

1. Start ViaCAD 9
2. Switch on "Show grid"
3. Create a new symbol, e.g. by drawing two lines that cross each other
4. "Save as Symbol ..." (save it as a user symbol)
5. Close the file

6. Open a new diagram
7. Open the concept explorer and go to symbols
8. Pull in the newly created symbol

The symbol will show up at totally erratic places (even changing with each new diagram). When one switches on "Show points (Ctrl-D)", the one can see that there is a random boundary around the symbol that is much larger than the symbol itself.

If one leaves out step 2. (the grid), the symbol comes out as expected. However, drawing precise symbols without a grid is much more work and should not be necessary to create usable symbols.

Regards
Harald M.

// Edit: A little more information on what happens:
* It is not necessary to draw the symbol using the grid - it suffices to switch on the grid on and off once during construction of the symbol to corrupt the symbol file.
* The resulting symbol is very weird: In addition to the random extent, it contains a line and a huge circle (or segment?) that get pulled into the drawing with the symbol.

Here is the symbol during creation:

UserPostedImage

Here you can see what it looks like after I have pulled it to the origin of a new, completely empty drawing - note the additional line from the origin to the right:

UserPostedImage

Here you can see what it looks like when zooming out quite a lot - the actual symbol is the tiny speck near the origin:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:46:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:48:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Harald

>>there is a random boundary around the symbol that is much larger than the symbol itself.

I made two changes in 1138 based on your feedback.

1. Custom symbols were incorrectly including the workplace entity as part of the group if Show Grid was on.
2. Automatically turn off/on the grid when saving custom symbols for better Concept Explorer previews.

I'm still checking into your other posts.

Tim

Edited by user Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:56:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
hmmueller  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:39:56 AM(UTC)
hmmueller

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>there is a random boundary around the symbol that is much larger than the symbol itself.

I made two changes in 1138 ... Tim

Thanks a lot!

Newbie question: Is it possible for me to get such a corrected build from somewhere?

Regards
Harald M.
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:48:50 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
About symbol, Tim can you tell me what is the commodity of the standard Symbols. It's only a collection of lines, ...is it just for a reference for a drawing? We cannot place these parts in the render view!
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma