logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jfc1068  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:31:30 AM(UTC)
jfc1068

You guys are going to get as tired of me asking questions on the forum as I am of having to write them. This is now the 6th post I have had to make this morning just trying to get things to work that should be simple.

How about getting an expert to write a user manual that actually tells the user how to, oh I don't know, use the product?
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:23:09 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jfc1068 Go to Quoted Post
You guys are going to get as tired of me asking questions on the forum as I am of having to write them. This is now the 6th post I have had to make this morning just trying to get things to work that should be simple.

How about getting an expert to write a user manual that actually tells the user how to, oh I don't know, use the product?

Hi jfc

just keep putting up your questions, no one will mind answering them.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jfc1068  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:33:17 AM(UTC)
jfc1068

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi jfc

just keep putting up your questions, no one will mind answering them.

Regards

Jason

Yeah, they do mind. Just see the post from blowlamp.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 3:39:46 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yeah, they do mind. Just see the post from blowlamp.

To be honest my friend, your initial candour, in my humble opinion, was equally as blunt- so what did you hope to expect in return?

I'm surprised that someone coming from an ACAD background, doesn't realise that taking on a new CAD system can be equally as confusing. I find AutoCAD just as confusing. Are you using LT, or the fully blown version? You should know that dealing with a command line, or more to the point, learning how to use a product which relies on data input to function is a tough nut to swallow.
I'm still learning to use ViaCAD. I've also posted over 1000 times. Yes it is a hard CAD to learn, but the learning curve is worth it.
jfc1068  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:42:35 PM(UTC)
jfc1068

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
To be honest my friend, your initial candour, in my humble opinion, was equally as blunt- so what did you hope to expect in return?

I'm surprised that someone coming from an ACAD background, doesn't realise that taking on a new CAD system can be equally as confusing. I find AutoCAD just as confusing. Are you using LT, or the fully blown version? You should know that dealing with a command line, or more to the point, learning how to use a product which relies on data input to function is a tough nut to swallow.
I'm still learning to use ViaCAD. I've also posted over 1000 times. Yes it is a hard CAD to learn, but the learning curve is worth it.

Ok, you have a point as I can get gruff at times. However, in my defense, when I get told the software I am using is out of date, and it was sold to me as the latest, greatest thing since buttered bread, I get frustrated.

Now as far as experience. I started using CEADS in 1982. Have learned and used Autocad, Steelcad, Autosteel, Fastcad, EasyCad, and Autocad LT in the years since then. I am presently learning to use Viacad and DoubleCad at the same time. I have written Lisp and C++ programs to work in other CAD programs, and have had to relearn each time with each new program.

My biggest issue with Viacad, outside of the version thing, is the terrible manual and the fact that to learn how to use the program I had to come to this forum. I had to tweak Tim just to get him to activate my registration because he didn't even bother to see my registration request.

So yes, I was gruff, and even grouchy. But now I am at a point to where I'm so pissed at everything and everyone that I will learn to make this software work even if it kills me. And it just might. Another part of the problem was I started getting wrong answers about issues I was questioning at the very same time I have vendors and clients that all seemed to have gone completely insane. This has been the week from hell and the problems I have had trying to get real answers here on this forum has simply pushed me over the edge. Not an excuse, but rather an explanation. I don't apologize for my anger because much of it is valid.
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:59:56 AM(UTC)
ttrw

jfc, I'm a little confused. With so many alternatives out there, why did you choose ViaCAD over the others?

I also admit, the manual for Shark/VC is appalling- so is the built in help files. The only 'real' manual is Jason!! :D:D Tim, you really need to get on top of this- maybe commission Steve (or whoever) to rewrite the manual? Then they could also improve the help files?
jfc1068  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:59:17 AM(UTC)
jfc1068

The present economy has made it impossible for us to afford Autocad for four more work stations. The requirement was to find a lower cost alternative to Autocad because while we needed the detailers, we could not afford that many new licenses, and was pointed towards Viacad/Shark as that potential alternative.

This potential solution was my idea, and I am going to have to pay for it. If it works, I get bonuses. If it fails, I eat the cost. I have to teach the detailers the drafting package, so I have to know it inside and out.

I decided to use Viacad to detail some sheds that needed to be built, thinking this would teach me to use the product under an actual application. I also used it to design some braced frames to pass onto the detailers.

Viacad has great potential. Just needs to have better customer care.
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:16:42 AM(UTC)
ttrw

jfc, Have you still not looked at QCad?

If you only need 2D, QCad is awesome for the price (about $33). It's also portable (will run from a memory stick), and is multiplatform- meaning it runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

QCad is also very easy to use, and works well as a front end for ViaCAD.
jfc1068  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:28:20 AM(UTC)
jfc1068

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
jfc, Have you still not looked at QCad?

If you only need 2D, QCad is awesome for the price (about $33). It's also portable (will run from a memory stick), and is multiplatform- meaning it runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

QCad is also very easy to use, and works well as a front end for ViaCAD.

Nope, won't work.

The final option has to include 3d.

Sounds like you are a salesperson for Qcad. lol
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:41:21 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Sounds like you are a salesperson for Qcad. lol

Nope, just like a lot of other people around here (including Blowlamp), a very enthusiastic user. :)
jfc1068  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 2:16:39 PM(UTC)
jfc1068

Strange, I thought I posted this earlier, but...

I do not have time to learn yet another Cad program. I'm working full time, working on finishing up my doctorate, learning two Cad programs, and writing a book.

No time to learn a third. Qcad will have to wait