logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Juanxer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:53:10 AM(UTC)
Juanxer

ViaCAD feels a bit too diverse in the way cutting and trimming tools are implemented for solids, surfaces and curves: it not only has a different tool for each kind of entity, but each tool imposes an entirely different approach: curves for trimming solids, surfaces for splitting solids; infinite planes for trimming surfaces; a set of trimming tools for curves... My guess is that those closely follow some set of ACIS conventions.

I wonder if it would be possible to abstract most of those into a simple set of knife tools, as the defunct Electricimage Modeler app did: For cutting/trimming any kind of entity, EIModeler provided a set of "knives" differing in the nature of the cutter geometry only: interactive line, circle and rectangle-type profile knives, that allowed the user to trim/cut just by drawing a bisecting line, circle or rectangle over the selected entity; and pre-drawn curve profile and surface knives, that acted via predrawn curves or surfaces.

As ViaCAD's GUI favours acting on predrawn entities, at the very least it could integrate EIM-style predrawn curve profile and surface knives, I think, with keyboard modifiers to switch between trimming and sectioning plus the current trim side one. In fact, it could be a single knife tool that lets one select both kinds of trimming/cutting entities.