logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Juanxer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:03:09 AM(UTC)
Juanxer

Here there are a few ideas and suggestions regarding navigation operations.

DYNAMIC ROTATE VIEW

Most 3D apps seem to use one of two dynamic Rotate View styles: one in which orientation depends not just on the click-dragging gesture but on the start position of the cursor in the window when doing so, it behaving as if one was turning a virtual trackball (I believe that was CU's paradigm); and the other just takes the click-dragging into account, disregarding start position data (or acting as if the center of this virtual trackball was always coincident with the starting position of the click-dragging gesture). ViaCad and Modo seem to use the first style, EIModeler and some others do the second one.

I find ViaCad and Modo's are a bit more unforgiving: if one doesn't start click-dragging from near the exact center of the object one intends to orbit, a simple horizontal movement to try produce an Y-axis rotation movement always has rather too much X and Z-axis "spillover". I usually have to compensate by doing two or more small rotation adjustments to get the view I wanted.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement the second style of view rotation too and get some Preference setting to select between styles. If it is too deep a change for the app, could it be possible to add the possibility of constraining the rotation to the X, Y and Z axis by pressing the xyz (or other user-selected) keys?

DYNAMIC ROTATE AND ZOOM VIEW RATES

It would be nice to have a way of adjusting the mouse movement/rotate view angle and mouse wheeling/zoom rates in Preferences (a bit like First Person Shooter games do mouse sensitivity), as working with today's 24" and 30" monitors means having to do really long click-drags to navigate views.

INVERT MOUSEWHEEL ZOOM PREFERENCE SETTING

Just that :)

SHADED WITH DIMMED HIDDEN LINES DISPLAY MODE

It would be great to have a new display mode that combines the shaded view with the hidden lines as dimmed one, to have a sort of x-rays view that allows one to select lines (and faces, perhaps) hidden from view for the tools to act upon without having to resort to the ambiguity popup.

Actually, one sees there could be a main wireframe/shaded selectable view mode plus a secondary hidden lines one (fully visible, dimmed, hidden).
jlm  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:35:43 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Juanxer wrote:

SHADED WITH DIMMED HIDDEN LINES DISPLAY MODE

It would be great to have a new display mode that combines the shaded view with the hidden lines as dimmed one, to have a sort of x-rays view that allows one to select lines (and faces, perhaps) hidden from view for the tools to act upon without having to resort to the ambiguity popup.

Actually, one sees there could be a main wireframe/shaded selectable view mode plus a secondary hidden lines one (fully visible, dimmed, hidden).

Juanxer
I always use X-rays = set the solid display to transparent and it works as you say ;) and you can ajust the X-ray power in the shade options (view menu).

JL
Juanxer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:03:34 PM(UTC)
Juanxer

Thank you: I'll try that :)
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:42:50 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>INVERT MOUSEWHEEL ZOOM PREFERENCE SETTING

Try clicking on the "Reverse Mouse Wheel Zoom" option in the File:Preferences:UserInterface dialog box.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:46:45 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>SHADED WITH DIMMED HIDDEN LINES DISPLAY MODE

The Punch Home Design products have a feature called Clear View(TM). We are investigating integrating this technology into the CAD products. This would replace the slower ACIS based hidden line display modes with faster OpenGL display methods, plus a slider for transparency see through. (Internally some folks call this the x-ray mode) The demos I've seen of this technology are exciting.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Juanxer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:01:15 PM(UTC)
Juanxer

Tim Olson wrote:
>>INVERT MOUSEWHEEL ZOOM PREFERENCE SETTING

Try clicking on the "Reverse Mouse Wheel Zoom" option in the File:Preferences:UserInterface dialog box.

I must be blind! I had been searching for that in the preferences panel everywhere and hadn't seen it. Thanks!

Glad to know about Clear View: seems it could be very interesting a feature to incorporate.
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:28:51 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Tim Olson wrote:
>>SHADED WITH DIMMED HIDDEN LINES DISPLAY MODE

The Punch Home Design products have a feature called Clear View(TM). We are investigating integrating this technology into the CAD products. This would replace the slower ACIS based hidden line display modes with faster OpenGL display methods, plus a slider for transparency see through. (Internally some folks call this the x-ray mode) The demos I've seen of this technology are exciting.

Tim

Is this still on one of many burners you have lit or is this a no go at this time?

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ZeroLengthCurve  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 11:08:43 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I've noticed that while reverse scroll is fine for me for the Object Info box, it does the reverse in Concept Explorer... So, I have to remember *two* scroll actions depending on what palette I'm in.