logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:23:31 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Paul,

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
What are your views on the tool, do you have a use for it in your work other than perhaps designing eccentric scalextric circuits ?
:D

Sometimes I can get a good result, but mostly the result is not usable.

I am hoping that eventually there will be an update to that tool and also an update to the "Modify slope" so we can have an option for G2, which is really needed.

- Steve
jol  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:45:13 PM(UTC)
jol

yes please .. (asap)!
unique  
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:17:49 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

:D

Sometimes I can get a good result, but mostly the result is not usable.

I am hoping that eventually there will be an update to that tool and also an update to the "Modify slope" so we can have an option for G2, which is really needed.

- Steve

You must be lucky then...I havent come across one yet and I make a point of seeing the effects before I turn back to my Rhino for the best result.

I hope the tool itself will allow the user to set the specifics "without" having to further match with Modify slope:rolleyes:
unique attached the following image(s):
Blendcurveoptions.jpg (69kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:33:09 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

You must be lucky then...I havent come across one yet and I make a point of seeing the effects before I turn back to my Rhino for the best result.
The only time I have found results that are "OK" (well for my own use) are where I have 2 non-planer 3d splines that I want a fill between,.. it does at times give a good result for what I want. For production, no, the result would be removed, but then again, that was my point.

I hope the tool itself will allow the user to set the specifics "without" having to further match with Modify slope:rolleyes:

There is nothing in VC or shark "Modify slope" that is acceptable to a level needed for my work. The surface match is a joke,.. the tools for splines are limited to non-use for my work (as you will already know, and you are trying to wind me up:D ).
NickB  
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:48:12 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not sure if this helps anybody . . .

I have always found the spline / nurbs tools to be a complete pain in the ass to use, but I have had great success using the 4 point conic tool which gives you end tangency and slope control. Not the tool you would ordinarily think of using, but it makes a great substitute for relatively simple corners.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_04.png (13kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Steve.M  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:03:29 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post

Dont forget,.. it may be sloppy user error in the first place. :)
unique  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:51:13 PM(UTC)
unique

I have always found the spline / nurbs tools to be a complete pain in the ass to use, but I have had great success using the 4 point conic tool which gives you end tangency and slope control. Not the tool you would ordinarily think of using, but it makes a great substitute for relatively simple corners.

You are correct it does give you end tangency but in case you didn't know you cannot match a conic for tangency (modify slope) after it is made....looks like you have exposed another bug :( ?

I hope Tim can see we have exposed a weakness in this tool and is prepared to put some time into fixing it...:)
NickB  
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:03:45 PM(UTC)
NickB

You are correct it does give you end tangency but in case you didn't know you cannot match a conic for tangency (modify slope) after it is made....looks like you have exposed another bug :( ?

I hope Tim can see we have exposed a weakness in this tool and is prepared to put some time into fixing it...:)

What ?
Just grab the slope control point and drag it around to modify, or go to object info and change the RHO the closer it gets to 1 the tighter the curve. Perhaps not being able to modify is a limitation of the consumer level ViaCad !
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
billbedford  
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:51:55 PM(UTC)
billbedford

What ?
Just grab the slope control point and drag it around to modify, or go to object info and change the RHO the closer it gets to 1 the tighter the curve. Perhaps not being able to modify is a limitation of the consumer level ViaCad !

In ViaCad you cannot use the Selection tool to move the control points, but you can use the Move tool.
blowlamp  
#30 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 2:04:18 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
In ViaCad you cannot use the Selection tool to move the control points, but you can use the Move tool.

I'm not seeing this problem in VC 2D/3D 839. Highlight the Conic, Ctrl D to show points, and manipulate away!

Martin

XP SP3
blowlamp  
#31 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 3:28:44 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

In addition to my last post I've gone back to play a little with the Smooth Fill Curve tool and while I admit that some results are on the wild side of things (:D), they can easily be altered by using the Select, Ctrl D, manipulate points trick to get results similar to Rhino and retain tangency. This tool works best for converging lines in my experience at the moment.

Martin.
unique  
#32 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 5:08:26 PM(UTC)
unique

What ?

"drag it around" is that some new scientific way of maintaining tangency or req'd curvature?? Im using VC Pro just so you know..

In any case, doing as you say with conics etc doesnt even come close to what I would expect...besides I was talking about smooth fill?
NickB  
#33 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 7:41:44 PM(UTC)
NickB

In any case, doing as you say with conics etc doesnt even come close to what I would expect...besides I was talking about smooth fill?

It must be hard to never be satisfied with anything, but I guess it does allow you to always have the last word.

See the screen shot below that shows how to maintain tangency and just change slope.

If dragging things around to find something that appealing is not your thing, mess with the RHO in the object info box.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_06.jpg (70kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
unique  
#34 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:16:47 AM(UTC)
unique

It must be hard to never be satisfied with anything, but I guess it does allow you to always have the last word.

See the screen shot below that shows how to maintain tangency and just change slope.

If dragging things around to find something that appealing is not your thing, mess with the RHO in the object info box.

FYI, Nick, Im very satisfied with the programs I use (Rhino & Spaceclaim) it is a shame that ViaCAD doesn't come upto the same grade.....yet

Perhaps if you had taken the time to look at the orientation of the curves I posted as well as the fact I was dissatisfied with smooth fill and not conics you wouldnt be showing me this as a workaround, because it isnt!!

If you are happy to use tools which dont work correctly....more fool you for not being vocal. I have no intention of using conics and drawing in extra geometry to perform a desperately simple task.....period:rolleyes:
Steve.M  
#35 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:36:18 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

It must be hard to never be satisfied with anything,
I think Paul is quite satisfied with quite a number of tools with VC Pro, it is only some tools I see a post with concerns from him, so I do not understand you attitude.

but I guess it does allow you to always have the last word.
The last word would actually be "Thank you it works" when a tool works as expected, giving the end user a workable result.

You are showing 2 planer curves, and of course, a conic is planer only, so such an attempt at workaround for a fill is lost when the curves/lines are not planer. I could post various ways to create a tangent connection between 2 planer curve endpoints, but that does not defer the concerns of the current "Smooth fill" tool.

Well, as I mentioned that is only for planer.
blowlamp  
#36 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 12:59:40 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Just thinking about this one again. What about a box that can have a value between say, 0-100 such that 0=straight line and 100=wild, or a slide-bar to alter the magnitude of the curve? Seems like it could work, to me.

Martin.