logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 6:16:06 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Has anyone scaled the positions of control points and done so for hull fairing in VCP or Shark?

Attempting to explain may not come across as well as this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...ure=youtube_gdata_player

Months ago, I attempted his approach, but did not succeed since I think the Scale command and that vector/control curve he drew may be specific to Rhino. So, my hull has some weird undulations and obvious imperfections.

But, I think Tim or someone may have a tip. What I want to do is to scale or transform points along my curves and have them do so smoothly.

It seems, also, that Rhino is MUCH faster at reshaping the bow area than SLT is, well, at least after I've added more objects to the drawing.

Also, notice how the narrator set up the original skin/surfaces with control points on it, and then how he flips it up for the sideshell and hull bottom. I tried mimicing that, but along the way, I ended up deviating from his technique because I could not achieve some things in Shark.

A good explanation of this would help out any of us working on hull shaping, especially in shaping a bulwark far forward as he did, probably to deflect waves from getting onto the fo'c'sle deck.

Thanks!
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 9:53:52 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

OK.

I *think* I am starting to understand what he was doing. I on previous viewings failed to realize he was saying "I use control assist control curves" or something like that. That was ONE clue.

Next, because he was moving so swiftly, my eye was failing to track and correlate his actions with the on-screen commands.

Finally, I was able to see what he was doing. I now realize that the control assist curve was not part of a built in command (I think), but rather a curve he drew for purposes of rotating out or translating control points of curves of the hull.

Now, on to the remainder to figure out what steps I'll use to get my bow to form like his. Maybe gripper, a control assist curve, and some rotation via the gripper.

Maybe, this time I'll make it work, unlike several months ago.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 1:20:38 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Quick and Dirty Steps:

- Create a surface in a convenient view, using two lines for fwd and aft extents

- Use the Elevate Surface tool to elevate to 8 control points between centerline and top deck, and 6 control points between bow and stern (notice that control points become visible; similarly, the Rebuild Surface tool will expose the control points; later, I had to elevate to 10 for the keel to top deck and 8 for bow-stern, so that I would have a pre-calculated or approximate location for bending the bow area to y=0)

- Explode edges of the surface for visibility enhancement reasons but then deselect splines as they wil follow the surface's new adjusted positions (note: rebuilding or elevating the surface will destroy associativity between surface and splines/lines; if needed, re-explode the edges, which will then follow the surface's changes; deselect Splines in the Select Mask and just manipulate the control points related to the surface)

- Decide on a location of bending (not with the Bend tool but) with the Gripper, and use the User Positioned option to bend the "plate" of the hull from ground to into the air

- On the Gripper, initiate the bend rotation direction and tab-enter the total angular rotation to 90 from ground to into the air

- Reset the Gripper as desired for further model editing

At this point, I did not figure out how to create an assist curve, for bending the forward area, say at around 15% of the distance from bow to aftward. This is where and why it became necessary to go back and re-elevate the surface, to have a reference point for bending the hull AND to have the initial foc's'le bending constrained to less than 20% of the aft of the bow. (Later, I created a curve to assist transforming the positions of the bow's control points to a new X value.) Also, adding knots to the surface may be useful. 8 may be a useful starting or testing value.

- Used the Gripper to select a point at which you want to bend the forward surface to begin the knife edge to entry angle area of the hull for hydrodynamics reasons

- Select the knife edge/prow control points of the surface and bend or rotate them toward centerline (alternatively, one by one, move them to y=0; this is where it would be helpful to know how in VCP/Shark to rotate/translate points to that all selected points are repositioned to a single y-point, such as y=0; so, this is a commentary to say this is where it would be useful if the Inspector allowed moving a selected group/bunch of control points having no actual spline/line associated with them to a new x, y, or z coordinate; or where it would be useful if the inspector allowed on a data tab the editing of spline points of an elevated surface that is in selection). Individual control points can be edited in the Data Entry strip above the drawing area, but not multiple selected control points. Set y=0 for each knife edge point to be edited

- Using the gripper, click on the Scale cube and pick some arbitrary value such as 0.1 and enter that value into the Scale date entry box.

- Switch to a bow-on view and notice that the points seem to conveniently move to a more desirable y= value. But, unfortunately, that ruins the z= values. Undo.

Explore, in plan view, using Gripper with the User Positioned position at the hull's origin coordinate and use the rotate plane portion of the Gripper to rotate the selected knife edge control points to a value of 90 degrees.

That largely mimics Rhino's movement of the bow points to y=0. However, when moving to the next step -- changing the rake of the bow -- it is not readily apparent/clear what to do next with those control points.

Further, if I skipped the step two paragraphs back (starting with "Explore, in plan view"), and switch to a side view and then performed that action, the control points then pull the keel up toward sky if the User Positioned point is at the top deck/bullnose/pointy end of the ship. That is not desirable in most cases.

- Draw a line representing the angle of the bow you desire to shape

- Set your Snap settings accordingly

- Select and translate the X positions of the control points of the surface

At this point, for those wanting to make sonar domes that are still part of the original, single piece of hull derived from a single surface, it would be nice if a surface could be LOCALLY subdivided without losing

HOWEVER, a possible workaround is this:

-- Add 4 knots to the hull (this increases control points from y=0)

-- Elevate the hull surface (this increases control points from z=0)

Now, there are enough control points to begin experimenting with shaping the sonar dome or a bulbous bow without excessively introducing too many control points into the hull. Be sure to NOT elevate and add knots before moving any original z=0 control points. This is to prevent sloping the hull's keel downward before the sonar dome is even worked on.

=====

Will be edited later, but I posted here to give Tim some insights into roadblocks...
kevjon  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:01:57 AM(UTC)
kevjon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Its a interesting technique he uses for creating the hull, its pretty similar to polygon box modelling technique.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 11:52:28 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

For those designing the hull by independent splines (not using a flat surface to control the positioning of the hull-shaping splines), tuts such as this one may be useful:

That tut is for reproducing an existing ship based on using the drawings for placement of the splines that will make the hull.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:13:42 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

This may interest some:

Dirty Cad and point cloud of a DTMB model of the pre-DDG-51.