logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arjan Schuurman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:38:26 AM(UTC)
Arjan Schuurman

....that, about 5 years ago, during a visit of the A*h**r president and his wife to Siemens Ghent (Belgium), I just might have hinted to include some very useful features, which now seem to (at least partly) be included in the extremely pricey, but otherwise inferior, ****** v8. :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, what I'm talking about is: neon-like light-sources (basically, these are light-emitting solids, e.g. for simulating light sources and generating diffuse lighting effects)

Some other strong rendering suggestions I have:
* Refraction of light (i.e. lenses)
* Depth of Field (blurring)
* HDR
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:48:57 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Arjan

Near the end of last year we licensed the full set of rendering functionality from LW. This includes global illumination/final gather, dome/area lights, HDRI lighting, Sketch rendering, and special effects (lens flares/depth of field, glare, blur). Next step is to start integrating into the software.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Arjan Schuurman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:15:44 PM(UTC)
Arjan Schuurman

Thanks a lot for sharing! This is great news, Tim! :)
nabed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:51:04 AM(UTC)
nabed

Tim Olson wrote:
Arjan

Near the end of last year we licensed the full set of rendering functionality from LW. This includes global illumination/final gather, dome/area lights, HDRI lighting, Sketch rendering, and special effects (lens flares/depth of field, glare, blur). Next step is to start integrating into the software.

Tim

Awesome news!
That might tip me over to upgrade to shark!
Gary  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:41:44 AM(UTC)
Gary

Tim;

I would encourage you to look into providing access to the "atmospheric" light function in Lightworks. And particularly, the "simple" settings of these tools which allow you to easily select color and intensity. The result of this lighting is very effective.

Of course, I would like to use this with easy to set, reliable perspective control ;)

Gary
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:07:02 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Gary,

>>access to the "atmospheric" light function in Lightworks.

Do you mean LW's final gather method which will calculate the effects of diffuse secondary illumination (i.e. bounced diffuse light)? If so, yes.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Gary  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:09:39 PM(UTC)
Gary

Tim:

I actually am referring to what you may be calling dome lights. Though good to hear about the implementation of the final gather.

In Formz "atmospheric lights" surround your object/scene with a series of lights, as if they were arranged on the surface of a hemisphere. The "quality" setting increases the density of lights.

Gary