logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tim Olson  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 11:48:31 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi All,

The current build for ViaCAD Pro, Shark, and Shark FX is now 750. The Help:Current Version will update to this most current verison.

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:36:14 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Tim,

I am still currently using trial versions, but I have a question.

I know V6 (2d/3d) as been updated with a new revision of the kernel, has that been implemented into the pro/shark versions?

I have no problem at all with making purchase now of the 2d/3d version, but I do have some interest with the added surface tools in the pro/shark (Well, I am just starting to find my feet with them, as they are a little different to handle than other apps I use)

Best Regards,

- Steve
unique  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:22:06 PM(UTC)
unique

Steve.M wrote:
Hi Tim,

I am still currently using trial versions, but I have a question.

I know V6 (2d/3d) as been updated with a new revision of the kernel, has that been implemented into the pro/shark versions?

I have no problem at all with making purchase now of the 2d/3d version, but I do have some interest with the added surface tools in the pro/shark (Well, I am just starting to find my feet with them, as they are a little different to handle than other apps I use)

Best Regards,

- Steve

Hi Tim,

Im also new to this forum (post #1) but are very interested in the Shark FX software to compliment our existing apps. What is the sequence for development & updates is Shark after ViaCAD or how does it work ?

Also, how does the license system work (serial, dongle ?) and what about two computers..additional cost etc ??

Cheers,

--Paul--
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:26:32 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>I know V6 (2d/3d) as been updated with a new revision of the kernel, has >>that been implemented into the pro/shark versions?

Current versions of ViaCAD Pro and Shark are on ACIS R18.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:33:38 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the reply,

Tim Olson wrote:
Current versions of ViaCAD Pro and Shark are on ACIS R18.

Is that the current trial version, or with the latest patch release?

Regards,

- Steve
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:35:56 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>What is the sequence for development & updates
>>is Shark after ViaCAD or how does it work ?

They are based on the same code stream but released at different dates. We're now updating Shark and Shark FX for a V5 curtousey service pack to include the new features and bug fixes in ViaCAD.

>>Also, how does the license system work (serial, dongle ?) and what about >>two computers..additional cost etc ??

Serial number and authcode tied to your machine. You can install and use on multiple machines (desktop, laptop), but only one copy can be running at any time. The license is also cross platform regarding mac or pc. Big thing is only one copy can be running at a time. Also, this is for Shark license. I could not convince our legal guys to do the same for ViaCAD licenses.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:45:39 PM(UTC)
unique

Okay Thx Tim.

What is the current userbase for Viacad and Shark please. With these products being relatively new im worried that Shark may not be popular enough and get dropped as Viacad seems like an amazing system for the money.

I would use the whistles and bells in Shark FX but why didn't they just get 'plugged in' to ViaCad if its the same code stream?

Sorry for the direct question but I would hate to get caught up buying 1/2 seats!! ;)

Rgds,

--Paul--
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:49:08 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tim Olson wrote:
I could not convince our legal guys to do the same for ViaCAD licenses.

I kind of understand that though. It's good sales sense. $99 for ViaCAD is bargain basement territory. 100 gets two licences- that's a great price for ACIS based CAD software imho.

I'll probably end up saving for Shark FX for my Macintosh and leave VC for the PC.
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:30:54 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>What is the current userbase for Viacad and Shark please. With these >>products being relatively new im worried that Shark may not be popular >>enough and get dropped as Viacad seems like an amazing system for >>the money.

There are no plans to drop Shark. There are no plans to change the pricing for Shark or Shark FX. We are working on a better bridge between ViaCAD and Shark. You will see more functionality going into Shark as part of some new licensing we did with Spatial and Lightworks.

>>I would use the whistles and bells in Shark FX but
>>why didn't they just get 'plugged in' to ViaCad
>>if its the same code stream?

We pay a lot more royalties in terms of flat fees and percentages of revenue to D-Cubed, Spatial, and Lightworks for functionality found in Shark.

Our marketing guys hope folks will fall in love with ViaCAD and upgrade into the Shark family of products.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:13:18 PM(UTC)
unique

>> There are no plans to drop Shark. There are no plans to change the pricing >> for Shark or Shark FX. We are working on a better bridge between ViaCAD
>> and Shark. You will see more functionality going into Shark as part of some >> new licensing we did with Spatial and Lightworks

Thx Tim - thats good news for us. Care to give me an insight into the 'more functionality' you talk about pls....

Rgds,

--Paul--
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:27:08 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Thx Tim - thats good news for us. Care to give me an insight into the >>'more functionality' you talk about pls....

We licensed more translators from Spatial.

Regarding Lightworks, we licensed their full suite of advanced rendering tools. More light types, HDRI, global illumination (radiasity, final gather), ambient occulsion, radiasoity, sketch rendering, special effects, more shaders.

We've got a bunch of work ahead to fully take advantage of the additional technology.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Gary  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:31:52 PM(UTC)
Gary

Hello Tim:

Great to hear that a lot more of the features of Lightworks will be exposed in upcoming versions.

I can't encourage you enough to consider the interface as important as the features when it comes to rendering. I would also hope you are open to not building on top of the current interface but willing to explore new options.

With so many good things happening with Shark now (I think the traffic in the forum is evidence) and with rendering being one of it's key distinctions from other programs in the Punch family, it seems imperative to get it right.

In my opinion, there is already a lot of Lightworks functionality in Shark but the interface has held many back from exploring and committing to learning it. I would be happy to share numerous examples of renderings I have produced in FormZ (many modeled in Shark) that I would not dare to attempt to render in Shark (and FormZ's rendering engine is Lightworks!).

I will spend some time identifying the features I would find key to a good rendering interface and post next week.

I look forward to seeing where this all goes!

Gary
Gary attached the following image(s):
sample2.jpg (338kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
sample3.jpg (367kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
sample1.jpg (171kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
tmay  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:56:47 AM(UTC)
tmay

Tim Olson wrote:

We licensed more translators from Spatial.

Tim

Tim,

I looked up 3D Interops on Spatial's site, and I noted that they are supporting Parasolids, Solidworks, and Inventor translators. Any of these translators would be welcome in Shark.

I also noted that Spatial is supporting PMI (Product Manufacturing Information) which currently supported by PTC, UG and Catia. Not saying that this is important to Shark users, but it's nice to see ACIS fill out its features.

tom
Tim Olson  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:09:06 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Hi Gary,

Yes, suggestions appreciated. Since they are based on LW, it would be interesting to hear how they exposed material parameters in a more easier manner. I believe they expose in terms of color, displacement, reflectance,transparenchy, and texture space as we do?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:29:02 AM(UTC)
jol

Yes very similar .. but somehow theirs is much more approachable. If you try it, you'll see