logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:08:01 PM(UTC)
tmay

jol wrote:
Shark FX may still be a good option - Tim has said on this forum that he's licensed a whole bunch of new rendering stuff for inclusion in a future version !

I agree, though I think that the OP was most concerned about a very near term solution.

tom
jol  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:15:19 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Silly Q time

: |

.. what's an OP ?
damiane  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:37:57 PM(UTC)
damiane

I would love it if HDI lightworks was added into Shark. The trouble is it keeps being mentioned and then does not happen. I appreciate Tim has bought the license but we keep getting other improvements with regard to surface or whatever and we are being left behind with regard to rendering. With SW now having a Maxwell Plugin the market leader is ahead of us.
jlm  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:09:13 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
posh.de wrote:
then check Artlantis Render

Yes, I also use Artlantis : quick, simple, good interface, though not perfect.
JL
NickB  
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:38:59 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Damian,
I think Jol is right. Maxwell is the way to go.

It is highly unlikely that a fully integrated product like Shark is ever going to touch the quality of a product that is dedicated to a particular task. No offense to Tim, but his expertise appears to be in modeling, not rendering, and relying on Tim to license and then implement features from LightWorks is a long bet.

The next version of shark may have some major improvements, but you never know (and if past performance is any indication of future performance its not a good bet). If it's important to your business (and it sounds like it is) I would take the safe option and go with a dedicated product with a proven record and a dedicated development team with a single focus and expertise.

Maxwell is the obvious first choice, then Modo, then one of the many open source projects. Whichever you choose its going to be a big investment in time and money.

Nick
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
damiane  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:01:04 AM(UTC)
damiane

Hi Nick

Thanks for that. I tend to agree. It looks like Maxwell then. Frankly the main thing I would like to see in Shark is HDI as this seems to give such life like lighting. Shark has some good materials etc and is easy to use. I would think that most of us who do product design and packaging just need to set up a virtual studio to pop a model into. Simple stuff really. Maybe that is how Tim ought to be implimenting the Lightworks modules.

Looks like some long evenings slaving away on the laptop then.

Cheers

Damian
tmay  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:13:33 AM(UTC)
tmay

jol wrote:
Silly Q time

: |

.. what's an OP ?

Original Poster. I see it now and then on a photography site, though I suppose it isn't of widespread usage as I had intended.

tom
Steve.M  
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:42:43 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

damiane wrote:
Has anyone got any suggestions. I really don't want to spend hours learning a new program.
You could have a look at Hypershot

http://www.bunkspeed.com/hypershot/index.html
tmay  
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:48:05 AM(UTC)
tmay

Steve.M wrote:
You could have a look at Hypershot

http://www.bunkspeed.com/hypershot/index.html

I did check it out, and thanks for the link.

I don't know how it would compare with Maxwell for esoteric features, but it seems very strong in ease of use, at least for given scenes, and ability to interface with MCAD (Pro/e, Solidworks, etc.).

tom
damiane  
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:27:37 PM(UTC)
damiane

Hypershot looks OK but I have tried the demo and exported a multipart model with different materials added to each one but when I import the OBJ it all comes in as one piece which is a bit frustrating.
ttrw  
#31 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:33:42 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I got the same problem exporting from VC into 3DS Max.

Fortunately I don't ever have to use 3DS Max again (that makes me very happy!). Rhino for Mac is looking very good indeed.

Hypershot looked amazing. Did anyone work out how much it was?
tmay  
#32 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:06:06 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:
I got the same problem exporting from VC into 3DS Max.

Fortunately I don't ever have to use 3DS Max again (that makes me very happy!). Rhino for Mac is looking very good indeed.

Hypershot looked amazing. Did anyone work out how much it was?

Hypershot HD (1920 x 1080 resolution) is $995; Hypershot Pro (unlimited resolution) is $3495 and maintenance. The Windows edition has the best translators for MCAD; the OSX version has only OBJ and Rhino 4.0 and earlier. There is also a web version ($195) with 800 x 450 resolution, and a Solidworks HD version for $1495.

the other tom
Steve.M  
#33 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:39:53 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Damiane,
damiane wrote:
Hypershot looks OK but I have tried the demo and exported a multipart model with different materials added to each one but when I import the OBJ it all comes in as one piece which is a bit frustrating.
Was there a material file output with the model?

- Steve
ttrw  
#34 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 2:31:21 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
tmay wrote:
Hypershot HD (1920 x 1080 resolution) is $995; Hypershot Pro (unlimited resolution) is $3495 and maintenance. The Windows edition has the best translators for MCAD; the OSX version has only OBJ and Rhino 4.0 and earlier. There is also a web version ($195) with 800 x 450 resolution, and a Solidworks HD version for $1495.

OMG! (the prices!) :eek: It's still cheaper than building a real model I suppose :(

Rhino 4.0 and OBJ only eh? We'll see about that! (hopefully? :) ). I'm not surprised that the translators are best for Windose- that's where all the MCAD stuff is. OTOH both Shark and Rhino 4.0 for Mac are looking really good and strong now. I reckon give it another 4 to 6 months to iron out all the bumps.....
Steve.M  
#35 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 8:33:13 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi ttrw,
ttrw wrote:
OMG! (the prices!) :eek:
The price is OK if the cost can be recouped (being used for paid work), but for home use, it can look steep. The web version would be good if the limit of 360K pixels was increased to say 480k, at least then you could get an image of 800x600

Whats the current pricing of Maxwell, the last time I looked it was about 700(pounds). I did not look further as at the time I thought it could only be used with specific programs via a plugin, but now know (due to this thread) you can import directly various formats, so will take a look.

- Steve
Arketype  
#36 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:52:30 AM(UTC)
Arketype

If you need Good, Fast Global Illumination rendering, HDRI (and animation capabilities), with a straightforward interface check out Electric Image...

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/

Competitive upgrades are available for lots of software (sometimes even Photoshop!) which makes the price very attractive at $495

The renderings are not as advanced as Maxwell, but setup is fast, and rendering time is generally only a few minutes, not hours.

ViaCad, Shark, etc export directly to FACT model format, and an OBJ converter is available which will preserve OBJ textures.

I am on the Beta team and we are about to start testing v8 of EIAS which will include new rendering enhancements which should rival Maxwell/Vray.

HDRI Render Example:
http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/gallery/image_full/1190/