logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daan Muller  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:21:53 PM(UTC)
Daan Muller

Hi,

I have asked this before but never got a real answer.

So please plain and simple, is it possible to grab a 3D object with the mouse and move it with the movement constrained to 1 axis?

Holding down x, y or z does not work. The object can be moved on all axi with x, y or z pressed. It does not constrain te movement to that axis.

thanks, Daan
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:17:17 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Daan.

Can you not just use the up, down, left, right arrow keys while holding down shift? This rotates the object in increments of 5 (I believe?).
Daan Muller  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:52:11 PM(UTC)
Daan Muller

Thanks, but I am not trying to rotate the object.

All I want is to be able to grab an object and move it just on any one axis. I want to be able to grab an edge and move the object along either the x, y or z-axis and that axis only.

I cant seem to do this in any way and trying to position objects is driving me crazy. I postion them in either the left, right or topview but whenever I change views the object also has been displaced on some unexpected axis and is nowwhere near where I need it to be.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:50:43 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hmm okay. Can I ask what software you have used before that allows you to do that? You can freedrag objects using the mouse, but you can't snap (afaik) to any specific axis.

VC and Shark, well, are quite different in the way they approach modelling, and it can be really painful to learn them if you have come from another system. I spend a lot of time swearing at the software!!
zumer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:12:10 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That's what the LogiCursor is supposed to ease, but although it interprets the axis, I haven't found a way to constrain the distance before the move, only afterwards. How it works is: Select the object and nominate the index point. Moving (the object by grabbing the index point) along the selected axis brings up the (manual move) distance in the dx, dy, or dz boxes. Tab to the dx, dy or dz dimension and overwrite the distance to that that you wanted, the object will move to the correct point.
Gary  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:23:30 PM(UTC)
Gary

daan,

Have you tried what I previously suggested, turn on "work plane" in your snaps palette and use the move tool. This way, when you are in a projection view, top, front, side, you will be able to snap to all snap points, but movements will be limited to only the two axis you view. No 3rd axis surprises.

Gary
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:45:36 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi Daan

Turn on the workplane snap and first select the workplane for the view you want top, right, left side and then pick the corresponding view top right left side , with the workplane snap on and the workplane set you will only be able to snap to the workplane so moving the object right/left and top/bottom in the work plane thus confining movement.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:16:51 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Daan,

As mentioned in this thread and the last one you made concerning this, enable the snapping for "Work plane". That does work (certainy on windows setup).

There is mention in the bug fixes for build 834:-
Quote:
18. Locking onto an axis now locks alignment to last alignment point.
Which may sort out this problem.

- Steve
Daan Muller  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 4:41:34 AM(UTC)
Daan Muller

I have enabled snapping on the work plane all this time.

I just can seem to move an object any other way than through the x, y, z inputs at the top by trial and error.

Using the translate also throws the object around all over the place without any logic. Somehow my object ALWAYS get moved allong more axis than I intend to.

As for other software I have used a whole range of 3D modeling software, lightwave - cinema 4D - animation master - silo, and in none of these programs it's any trouble to just place an object in the place you want it to be. Just move x, y and z axis one at the time in 2 views, presto exact allignment.

I bought viacad because I was looking for something a bit more cad like because I use the models I create to drive my CNC mill.

BUT TO SUM IT UP: IT IS INDEED IMPOSSIBLE TO CONSTRAIN MOVEMENT OF AN OBJECT TO ANY ONE AXIS AT A TIME, RIGHT?

The only question that comes to my mind is why? Why wont holding down the x, y or z key constrain the movement of the object your moving to that axis? Most people here seem to think it does, but it clearly doesnt.
jdi000  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 5:12:41 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

HI Daan

The xyz keys are intended to constrain movement in those axis, but there were some improvements to that feature in one of the latest builds of the software build 833 or 834 that greatly improved the axis locking, email Tim and when early release comes out you can get a patch. Follow instructions below.

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
I just sent out an email with links for a ViaCAD 2D/3D V6 patch to those registered users who have requested early patches.

If you are a registered user of ViaCAD 2D/3D V6 and would like to get early patches, send me a private email with your serial number.

Tim
[email protected]

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 5:25:43 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: Daan Muller Go to Quoted Post
I have enabled snapping on the work plane all this time.

Using the translate also throws the object around all over the place without any logic. Somehow my object ALWAYS get moved allong more axis than I intend to.

Hi Daan

The translate tool (dx dy dz) works in what workplane you have activated. Use show workplane to see the light blue arrows showing the workplane.

You can set the workplane by using the lowercase c key if you hover over a point on an object till one of the snap boxes displays like endpoint, vertex, midpoint then hit c key it will place the workplane at that point keep hitting the key and it will toggle the workplane position.

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 8:03:11 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

The problem appears to be fixed with the latest build.

- Steve
Tim Olson  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 10:35:15 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Daan,

Email me your serial number and email address and I will include you on our pre-release builds for V6.

Regards,

Tim
[email protected]
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 12:26:36 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
The problem appears to be fixed with the latest build.

Forget that. There is still a problem with using the keyboard axis constrains.

- Steve