logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:29:20 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Folks,

After a few weeks away from ViaCAD, I can't seem to get the grid working- or more 'grid to show' in the main drawing window. Can anyone shed some light on this- to show me what I am doing wrong?

I'm up to date (in ViaCAD b737 and in Leopard 10.5.2) if that helps.

Tom
jol  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:26:05 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
you may need to zoom right in

I see by default a useless grid that measures 5mm each side of my origin

Of course, the right way to do this would be to have a grid as far as you can see like Rhino or Alias .. or perhaps to calculate the grid based on the size of your object

It's currently anything but smart
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:48:47 AM(UTC)
ttrw

5mm?!?

LOL!

I do detect a certain level of sarcasm from you Jol, in your posts!!
Many times I too feel these Punch products need a drastic overhaul, especially when you see how far advanced other leading CAD products now are.

However I do have sympathies for Tim, because I bet coding of these products isn't exactly 'a stroll in the park'. Come on Punch- give Tim a team of 30+ coders to make your product the dynamite application that the poor old Mac is missing. Parametric Constraints was a small step for mankind- now howabout a bigger one?!! ;)

Personally for a start, I wish Punch would make the logging in proceedure on this forum a little easier- especially for us Mac users. This $@! forum logs me out every 10 minutes, but there's no easy log in again. I've mentioned this before- but alas, still no fix :(
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:08:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Nope. Tried that. (I set it to 200 x 200- it was default at 20/20) The grid still doesn't work :(

....and yes I had to log back in again :(
jol  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:10:26 AM(UTC)
jol

TT .. when you've been harking on for nearly 10 years about fixing the grid - for example - you'll also develop somewhat of a sour tone.

Reality here is - the developers are not thinking about what the user is trying to do

If you switch on the grid, you should see a grid - period !

.. and it should be at least as big as your vision - certainly bigger than your object

It also shouldn't be centred about the origin. Vehicles for example always have the origin near their front

Perhaps TT this is a matter of manpower. Whether that's true of not, the result is the same .. the grid tool doesn't just do what it should when you turn it on and therefor, you avoid using it

Lots of tools suffer from a similar lack of clarity .. I'd suggest such issues leads one to feel that the product as a whole is reliable - or not

I hope they won't still be ignored in another 10 years
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:28:27 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I feel your pain Jol. :)
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:34:47 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Oh by the way, my name is Tom.

'ttrw' stands for; "Through The Round Window". Like as in 'Play School'- an early BBC TV program for kids. The majority of my work has been as a photographer working with school-based magazines, and working with children in classroom environments. Only recently have I chosen to do a BSc in CAD (because photography doesn't let my kids eat and/or have enough change to pay the mortgage), and so the name, 'ttrw' has stuck. :D
jol  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:16:34 PM(UTC)
jol

Maybe I'll have a bash at the photography ; )

Best, Jol
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:32:23 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Eureka! Got the grid working. Yes it (ViaCAD grid) was defaulting to a size better suited to nanotechnology- but at least it works!
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:48:31 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I think the main problem with this Via/ Shark/ CU suite of CAD software titles, is that they ARE as good as Solidworks- as in, you can do everything pretty much that you can do in Solidworks, however, the scripts needed in order to carry out all those functions that are present in SW, just haven't been written for CU yet, making one have to either work or think harder to achieve similar results. (Okay there is no Cosmos, or Mouldflow tools in Shark/CU either).

I don't think this is Tim's fault at all, but I do imagine that this is, the fault of a non-aggressive campaign to sell or market the CU range (well opposed to AutoCAD or Solidworks plight to finish off ACAD). I also take my hat off to anyone who supports Mac OSX, period. Whilst architecture and animation on OSX are pretty much covered, little is left for MCAD on the Mac- and this is a real shame, because afaic, OSX's workflow is really brilliant.

As I said before, come on Punch- make this a great year for Shark/ ViaCAD!