logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
polygone  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:55:06 PM(UTC)
polygone

If I'm talking out of school please tell me what I have wrong:
Each day I work on the model I save it to a different name 7_6 - 7_9 - 7_10, etc... in case the worst happens and I lose the file through corruption or whatever, I can recover it back to the last days work.

Here is what happened to me, Today I converted a model to a sheet drawing. flatted a view or two and did some deleting of multiple lines, just cleaning stuff up a little, instinctively hitting Ctrl s. I know this is a mistake because I did this before and lost some work on a model. The reason for the loss of work is Shark FX uses the same file extension for both models and drawings, and, because of this, the action of saving a drawing without renaming it overwrites the model.

I broke my own rule and did not change the name of the file for a few days, the work I lost was over 15 hours. I need to get my model back, does anyone know of a way to (change?) a drawing back to a model. Saving is so fundamental to modeling, why on earth is this scenario of losing work even possible?

Help!

P
lgrijalva  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:18:48 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dont get it, model to sheet creates viewports from the model, but leave the model intact, even that you flatten the geometry, that actually what it does it is to creat 2d lines from the model.

Every time you use the model to sheet command it create a new set of layers that consist on a layer with three sublayers, and make this ones visibles while hide the other layers where your 3d geometry should remain
your model must be there, check the picture below

Hope this help

[ATTACH]4706[/ATTACH]
lgrijalva attached the following image(s):
MTSlayers.jpg (69kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
polygone  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:31:03 PM(UTC)
polygone

I work with the Concept Explorer open with the layer tap active But, I was so... bummed out at what I thought had happened, I failed to notice the answer was staring me in the face. Thanks for your help!!
polygone  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:45:09 PM(UTC)
polygone

Learning a CAD system on your own sure can cause a few skips in the old heartbeat. :-)
lgrijalva  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:58:58 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Yep, same here, :)

Glad to help, I am pretty sure you will love (and hate at the same) this software, it have powerful tools, that wort handle with its glitches and bugs. After all, doesn't all the other softwares also have it?

Luis G.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
polygone  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 10:09:01 PM(UTC)
polygone

You said every time a model is converted to a sheet drawing it creates a new set of layers, is it unadvised to delete the new Sheet view layers?

I did a temp name save on my model after waking up the model layers, to see if there was any errors if the Sheet layers were delete. There was a message about reference getting deleting, but I went ahead to see if this would cause problem. After deleting the Sheet view layer and reopening the file seems fine?

But through experience I know Shark can act up if certain child / parent associations are delete.
lgrijalva  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:43:05 AM(UTC)
lgrijalva

If you want to delete the layers created by the MTS (model to sheet command), I recommend you that first delete al the items that this layers contain, otherwise, a warning will appear that say that layers are not empty and some objects will reassigned to a knew layer (normally layer 1 on the root branch), Some times you have parents objects (not often, but some times happens) that are inside the viewports that are not deleted (I don't really know the reason), so the warning say that some of the items can be reasgned to another layer, but then all becomes a mess, you can ended with invisible items that are suppose to be there but they don't.

Model to sheet rely and a complex parent-child relationship, as you say, and that is something that for some reason via cad-shark tend to fail if you don't follow a good workflow.

I recommend you to familiarize with model to sheet workflow and realize the structure of multiple sheet view layers created, that way, complex and detailed multiple drawings can be created from an assembly or model.

Prior Model to sheet is done, I often prefer to delete relationships (called links on edit menu) to simplify the file, at the end, Shark-viacad have a great tools for local editing surfaces, solids and 2d elements.

But once I have set some model to sheet that rely on that links, is better to maintain those links unless you flatten the viewports.

There are several things that involve working with MTS, and, there is no good tutorials that show the right way to work with it, so, the experience is your best shot for now

Luis G.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
jlm  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:58:10 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lgrijalva Go to Quoted Post

Model to sheet rely and a complex parent-child relationship, as you say, and that is something that for some reason via cad-shark tend to fail if you don't follow a good workflow.

Prior Model to sheet is done, I often prefer to delete relationships (called links on edit menu) to simplify the file, at the end, Shark-viacad have a great tools for local editing surfaces, solids and 2d elements.

But once I have set some model to sheet that rely on that links, is better to maintain those links unless you flatten the viewports.

Luis G.

I agree with you Luis.
Before I do model to sheet I "save as" the file with the same name + 2D
I will carry on doing 3D work on the original file if necessary, and copy and paste modified elements in the "2D" file...
Complex, but sometimes I have 50 modifications on the same solid and I can't have MTS following everything.