logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve Kube  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 11:45:10 AM(UTC)
Steve Kube

Has anyone used Shark to design an electric motor? I have a new design for hybrid axial flux brushless machines. I have the solid model files and will have to export them to software that does finite element analysis for electromagnetics, such as Ansys Maxwell 3D, Comsol, Magsoft Flux, Infolytica, etc. Problem is, some of that software costs over $50,000. Some is a couple grand a month to lease.

I recall my search for solid modeling software before finding Shark. Most was well out of my price range, and did a lot of things I do not need. Some was cheap and not powerful enough. It was a huge relief to find SharkFX. I would love to find something parallel to this in the electromagnetic modeling arena.

Got any ideas?

Thanks,

~ S
memphisjed  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 6:44:18 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
subcontract to a local firm that has the software, which is never the end all/be all - but good at getting fast calculations for editing. Second is ebay/used software older software like Mathcad or maple and write your own sub routines.
em software is specialized, so local firm might be the best bet. someone you can work with to get the files just right for analysis.
Steve Kube  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:30:10 PM(UTC)
Steve Kube

I have been looking into software, and contractors that know how to use it. I figure it will be best to know something about the software even if I do pay someone else to use it. So far that assumption is proving very true. By knowing what to ask for, I could greatly reduce overall costs.

I did find COMSOL, which is the only FEA multi physics software that I found that will run on my iMac. It's still quite spendy, around $25,000-$30,000 or so for what I need to do, but it's a nice find considering it runs on a Mac. There are Windows and Linux versions too.

It's still too early to tell if this is viable for me. I have demo version and hope to run it through some useful trials.

BTW, they charge an extra $2,995 for the module that will import CAD files, including ACIS format, and convert them to COMSOL format. I was told that money goes to Dassault. Hmm... It'd be nice to export from Shark directly into the COMSOL format. Might sell a few copies of Shark to do just that. I know a guy in the injection mold making business who uses ViaCAD for just viewing CAD models that get sent to him.

~ S
Tem  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:37:45 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
What is FEA for electro magnetics? I have seen FEA used to test bicycle frames assemblies, but those are simple physical forces acting on material. I'm just interested in knowing.
Tem  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:39:44 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:50:35 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>It'd be nice to export from Shark directly into the COMSOL format.

You might be able to provide a STL file to COMSOL.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
BPL-RFE  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:40:46 PM(UTC)
BPL-RFE

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tem Go to Quoted Post
What is FEA for electro magnetics? I have seen FEA used to test bicycle frames assemblies, but those are simple physical forces acting on material. I'm just interested in knowing.

Hello Tem.

The company i work for ([URL="http://www.co-ax.com"]Mller coax AG[/URL]) is producing pneumatically and eletromagntically driven valves.
[for example series MK ...]
When applying voltage to the Elektro-Magnet (we produce it ourselves)
the resulting Force is used to move an (iron) inner part to open or close
the valve (depending on design).

For optimising the Magnet we use [URL="http://www.ansys.com/Products/Simulation+Technology/Systems+&+Multiphysics/Multiphysics+Enabled+Products/ANSYS+Maxwell"]Ansys Maxwell[/URL].

Our main focus is on eletromagnetic field simulation (distribution and force).

Depending on the needs you can simulate also whole circuits and lots more
with Ansys.

Roland
Tem  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:34:55 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Hi Roland,

I didn't know that some of those forces can be simulated.
I find that very interesting.
Although I am not an engineer, I do understand
how important it is to simulate those forces/energies on a product.
As transportation becomes ever more electrified, and robots do even more work for us I can imagine how useful simulating these products can be.

Thank you for the enlightenment.

Tem