logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CFB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:38:57 AM(UTC)
CFB

I've drawn a toroid shape (bicycle tire) and want to snap to it, at the point it meets the ground. There don't seem to be any snap points for this 3D part. How do I turn them on?
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:48:19 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi CFB. Welcome to the forum :)

You probably need to draw it differently to how you were anticipating the procedure to work (VC/ Shark doesn't work like most other CAD apps).

So;

Start by setting the view to 'front'. Draw your axis like (any length), then measure a line that is based on the radius of your tyre's size, then draw another circle set at the radius of your tyre's thickness.

Then change your view to right view, and draw a line on the tangent of the circle (ground)

Switch to isometric view, and using the lathe tool, select your circle, then your axis, then you should have this;

There may be another way, I'm sure someone else will interject if that is the case :D

Tom
ttrw attached the following image(s):
screenshot 07.png (125kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:13:57 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

You can also highlight the part, and go to Menu: Verify > Bounding Box, around the Toroid, and use the edges to help you put construction lines where you need them for suitable intersections, as in the attached pic.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
toroid.jpg (49kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:16:35 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
(VC/ Shark doesn't work like most other CAD apps).

You can say that again :D:D
ianjkirby  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:14:42 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi Martin,
How do you add the (red) text into/onto your screen grab, please?
Also, I have, since your noticing I was using an old build, updated to the latest. I am not in beta testing leagues, that is why I was not "keeping up", but it is easier than I thought it would be, so thanks for prompting me!

"Ian.
After a quick test it seems ok here, but it could have been rectified as I'm on build 838 - why aren't you?
Martin." (15 Sept, '09)

Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:36:08 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Also, you can "Change Object Type" in the edit menu, and change the object to a mesh. That also works.
ttrw attached the following image(s):
screenshot 08.png (67kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Picture 1.png (120kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 2:44:30 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Also, you can "Change Object Type" in the edit menu, and change the object to a mesh. That also works.

Hi Tom,

Changing the object to a mesh is not a good idea when it is intended for snapping, as where the intersections of the polygons of the mesh are created is not controllable.

Hi CFB
Probably the easiest way to create snapping positions is to create ISO curves then explode them: see pic (it as also been mentioned in another thread for use with creating paths). Some caution is needed on shapes like this when selecting what to explode, as VC/Shark rebuilds the surfaces as you rotate, so there is an hidden seam/edge (well, not hidden very well) that can be selected and give what would appear strange output (There is a link to a vid to show this)

Hidden edges; explode: Download link

- Steve
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
ISO lines.png (139kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

CFB  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:44:30 PM(UTC)
CFB

Thank you Blowlamp. The bounding box trick was nice and simple and did the trick, for me.

Sorry, Steve, I couldn't understand what you were describing and can't seem to open an AVI on my Mac.

Colin
Steve.M  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:46:07 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Colin,

Dont worry about the vid (its in xvid format)

For snapping to your shape (the tire), if you right click the tire, then select "Object info" you will get a popup that shows info, in the "display" tab you can change the number of iso lines (see the attached image in my last post). You can then use the "Explode curve" tool to change those iso lines into actual curves, which can then be snapped to.

- Steve
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:53:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: CFB Go to Quoted Post

I can't seem to open an AVI on my Mac.

Colin, the reason you can't open an AVI file, is because you haven't set you computer up correctly. If you nip over to the Apple website, you will find the appropriate plugin in the QuickTime section.

I have a Mac too, and have no problem reading AVI files. :)

regards,

Tom F.
CFB  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:53:40 AM(UTC)
CFB

Hi Steve,

Creating ISO lines, then using Explode Curve worked. Thanks for the step by step with images. I'm back to laying out my steering geometry.

Martin,
The bounding box thing initially looked great, but the snap points were missing the corners of the bounding box? Weird.

PS Tim,
I did make it to the QuickTime plug-in page, but my day job, in the computer industry, made my too nervous to install this unknown.

I just checked my build, to create a signature and it does appear that I'm due for a new VC build from Punch.
Steve.M  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:02:59 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the step by step with images.
Your Welcome

I just checked my build, to create a signature and it does appear that I'm due for a new VC build from Punch.

You would probably be better to send Tim an e-mail ( [email protected] ) for the latest build.

- Steve
blowlamp  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:50:18 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: ianjkirby Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin,
How do you add the (red) text into/onto your screen grab, please?
Also, I have, since your noticing I was using an old build, updated to the latest. I am not in beta testing leagues, that is why I was not "keeping up", but it is easier than I thought it would be, so thanks for prompting me!

"Ian.
After a quick test it seems ok here, but it could have been rectified as I'm on build 838 - why aren't you?
Martin." (15 Sept, '09)

Regards, Ian.

Ian.
If I understand you correctly, just rotate the view to your liking and set the workplane to Use View and enter your text in the normal way, altering size and colour etc as required. Alternatively, you can add text to a screen grab in Paint, if you use Windows. Let me know if that doesn't cover it for you.

I'm no great beta tester myself, but it's sometimes surprising how mundane actions can uncover the gremlins, and I think we've both found the odd rough edge that's needed a bit of work in VC. It's nice that others contribute and benefit from the improvements too.

Martin.
blowlamp  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:06:39 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Hi Steve,

Creating ISO lines, then using Explode Curve worked. Thanks for the step by step with images. I'm back to laying out my steering geometry.

Martin,
The bounding box thing initially looked great, but the snap points were missing the corners of the bounding box? Weird.

PS Tim,
I did make it to the QuickTime plug-in page, but my day job, in the computer industry, made my too nervous to install this unknown.

Colin.
Whilst the Bounding Box method isn't as elegant as Steve's, it does work ok for me - did you have Endpoint Snap enabled or perhaps it's a bug in your older build of VC?

Martin.