logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kevin Quigley  
#21 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 5:15:44 PM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

Just be aware that as of version 10 Adobe are no longer supporting CAD translation inside Acrobat - so Acrobat Extended will no longer exist. Take a look at this software for exporting 3D PDF and other formats...

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-p...imlab-composer-main.aspx

There are a lot more options available on the windows platform - just Google 3D PDF export
Art  
#22 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 7:49:20 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Kevin,

Good to hear from you again, it has been a while!

Simlab Composer looks great, and available on the Mac. So longer term may be my best solution. Have you used it? I will google it to see if there are any reviews.

Until next week I won't know how my clients react to 3D pdfs. Since I never have to use "viewers" I don't know what they expect. I suppose that if they are unhappy I could do some more searching and find a Mac translator that outputs to e-drawings. Obviously I have not been keeping up.

Thanks for the heads up!

Art

OS 10.6 Shark FX 7
jdi000  
#23 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:15:22 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kevin Quigley Go to Quoted Post
Just be aware that as of version 10 Adobe are no longer supporting CAD translation inside Acrobat - so Acrobat Extended will no longer exist. Take a look at this software for exporting 3D PDF and other formats...

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-p...imlab-composer-main.aspx

There are a lot more options available on the windows platform - just Google 3D PDF export

Hi Kevin

I thought adobe sold development of the 3d to techsoft to develop for them? And they would continue to support the product even in there acrobat reader?

The attached article is the last I have seen about this topic.

Regards
Jason

http://www.marketwatch.com/stor...dk-technology-2010-05-24

And article from adobe blog
http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/tag/tech-soft-3d
Windows 11, 10
Kevin Quigley  
#24 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:31:24 AM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

Art, yes I decided to jump to the Great White while they were offering it at sardine prices :) Looking good so far.

Jason, as of version 10 (the next one) there will be no Acrobat Extended. Adobe sold off their 3D Translation business TTF (based in Lyon) to Tech Soft (or did some other kind of exchange deal - not sure) and in return Tech Soft are focussing on developing tools for CAD companies to build in 3D PDF and .u3D exports from the CAD systems. There have been rumours of a 3D Reviewer type application to come from Tech Soft but they are just that at the moment.

The problem is that Acrobat Extended did become a very low cost universal CAD file format translator for a lot of companies - you could open a CATIA v5 file and export it as a Parasolid or STEP for example. I use this to get data into Solidworks from CATIA.

For whatever reason Adobe decided to offload all this to others. This leaves a lot of users high and dry. They were probably not making any money from the 3D origination side so they are focussing on the 3D PDF content side.

Do a search on Google at Develop3D and Deelip.com and other places for more background.

In the meantime I am happy as I have found an even better way of getting from CATIA to SolidWorks now.....Shark. And sometimes I don't even need to go to SolidWorks either!
Art  
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:26:51 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Tried out Simlab Composer 2.1. Took me a little time to get acceptable files but they ended up very nice. The customer opened them in Adobe Reader and after a little hemming and hawing, quickly learned to appreciate it. As many of you know, transparent parts, real time sections (from any angle) and turning on and off parts are all available within the reader itself.

I wanted to allow a customer to see the construction of a new housing and mechanics. I preferred something fairly diagrammatic with color differentiating the parts. The best export from Shark FX so far was .obj files. By modifying the .obj file I was able to export the colors at the same time. Simlab claimed that most .obj files contain color information in one file. Is there a reason we do not?

BTW. the support from Simlab was amazing. There were tenacious in helping me getting the results that I wanted and seemingly never sleep. I worked with the demo for a few days (they sent me a code good for 30 saves), and purchased it for $149 today (good for 2 computers). Once I get my chops perhaps I will spring another $100 for the version coming soon with animation.

I would like to hear from others that have or are trying it out.

Art
OS 10.6 Shark FX 7