logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:03:11 AM(UTC)
tmay

Tim,

This is a bit premature, but you mentioned that you will eventually support hdri in lightworks:

Woud you happen to know what image format(s) Lightworks supports for HDRI (probe, panorama, horizontal cross, vertical cross) and will it accept both .exr and .hdr file formats?

I'm trying to figure out what software I will need to put together scenes using a Nikon Coolpix and a fisheye lens.

thanks,

tom
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:14:04 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Woud you happen to know what image format(s) Lightworks supports for >>HDRI (probe, panorama, horizontal cross, vertical cross) and will it accept >>both .exr and .hdr file formats?

I've grabbed some stuff from their documentation. This is what they support but I'm not sure yet what it takes for me to support it within the app.

Tim

OpenEXR & HDR

Plus..

1. a cubic map created directly from LightWorks (by rendering six images, nor th, south, east, west,
up, and down from a point in the scene),

2. a cubic map created by reading six (possibly photographic) images,

3. a cubic map created by reading a single image which consists of six sub images laid out in the form of an unfolded cube (both vertical™ and horizontal™ versions are supported),

4. a cubic map created by reading a single image which consists of six sub images laid out in the form of an unfolded cube (also known as a vertical cross™ layout),

5. a latitude/longitude map (sometimes known as a panorama) where the entire environment is flattened into a single flat panoramic image, rather like a map of the globe,

6. a spherical™ map, usually created by photographing a reflective sphere with a telephoto lens,

7. an angular™ map (sometimes known as a light probe™ image) is similar to a spherical map from a reflective sphere, except that the radial dimension is mapped linearly with the angle, instead of being squashed towards edge of the circle. This gives more accurate sampling around the
edges of the image.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
tmay  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:03:17 PM(UTC)
tmay

Tim Olson wrote:
>>Woud you happen to know what image format(s) Lightworks supports for >>HDRI (probe, panorama, horizontal cross, vertical cross) and will it accept >>both .exr and .hdr file formats?

I've grabbed some stuff from their documentation. This is what they support but I'm not sure yet what it takes for me to support it within the app.

Tim

OpenEXR & HDR

Plus..

1. a cubic map created directly from LightWorks (by rendering six images, nor th, south, east, west,
up, and down from a point in the scene),

2. a cubic map created by reading six (possibly photographic) images,

3. a cubic map created by reading a single image which consists of six sub images laid out in the form of an unfolded cube (both vertical™ and horizontal™ versions are supported),

4. a cubic map created by reading a single image which consists of six sub images laid out in the form of an unfolded cube (also known as a vertical cross™ layout),

5. a latitude/longitude map (sometimes known as a panorama) where the entire environment is flattened into a single flat panoramic image, rather like a map of the globe,

6. a spherical™ map, usually created by photographing a reflective sphere with a telephoto lens,

7. an angular™ map (sometimes known as a light probe™ image) is similar to a spherical map from a reflective sphere, except that the radial dimension is mapped linearly with the angle, instead of being squashed towards edge of the circle. This gives more accurate sampling around the
edges of the image.

Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

It looks like Lightworks supports all the formats that I've read of.

Item 5 above is the easiest to support with consumer (read inexpensive) software. Next step is to design a panoramic camera mount, and then I'll see if I can get it to work in Photoworks (Solidworks). If it works there, it should work fine with most any HDRI/Global illumination implementation of Lightworks.

I realize that this all started out as conceptual design software, but SharkFX is getting really, really close to the sweet spot for affordable MCAD software, and rendering is just the icing.

tom