logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 3:27:42 PM(UTC)
tmay

http://www.symscape.com/

For Windows and Linux as well using OpenFOAM.

This looks to be a very cost effective alternative to expensive CFD packages, and would nicely complement Shark.

tom
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:56:19 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If only there were a NATIVE Linux version of ViaCAD 2D/3D/Pro/Shark... i could pretty much DITCH msoft/windows and more effectively use the horsepower of my computer for one OS. If only people were 100% trustworthy, it might truly be worth Punch!'s time to devote time or outside developers' time to creating a native version of the apps.

I wonder if it would be worth it for Punch! to seek the developers, get them skill-critiqued, and then either hire or contract them as cost-effective, or find those devs who also chafe in agony for legal, legit apps like these. If only Spatial, and other component supplies allow sublicensing or porting of their code for platforms that deserve good CAD apps. Dongle/license code, hard-wire to one machine... i could care less as long as it helps me get my active apps to Linux and my legacy apps on windows.

If i won a $50 lottery i'd give $10M to Punch! to port a native apps and QC/QA them and give them a lifespan of 10-20 years before EOL. An LO BE UNTO ANY company that would dare mess with me and Punch.

Can it not be a simple as decompiling all the Punch! code and then recompiling it all, less the propietary bits owned by other parties? IF so, and IF Punch! allowed at least THAT much development, then systematic pressure could be applied to any outside stalwarts hamstringing the opportunity to develop a native Linux version.

One developer that PROMISED we'd see professional CAD on Linux is BrisCAD. It is nothing short of SOUL-DEADENING and HEART SQUISHING to visit their site or get e-mail updates only to find more corporate yammer and excuses. It's like being with a spouse or lover who cheats or teases and flirts with others but promises there is no real infidelity going on. It just plain HURTS. Ive been on their mailing list about or almost a year, and been watching them for longer than that. It's almost as if they are trying to generate competitive critical mass before actually delivering on any code, as if to create an artifical stampede to be the default matador.

But, at least Punch! and Tim are not teasing nor leading us on. We/I know what i am stuck with, and i can only dream aloud. I'm a micron away from disabling updates from BrisCAD though. I'm tired of the circuitious deadening silence followed by intermittent excuses.

I will look at sysmscape to see what it offers as CFD goes, even if i cannot afford it...
tmay  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:25:59 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
If only there were a NATIVE Linux version of ViaCAD 2D/3D/Pro/Shark... i could pretty much DITCH msoft/windows and more effectively use the horsepower of my computer for one OS. If only people were 100% trustworthy, it might truly be worth Punch!'s time to devote time or outside developers' time to creating a native version of the apps.

I wonder if it would be worth it for Punch! to seek the developers, get them skill-critiqued, and then either hire or contract them as cost-effective, or find those devs who also chafe in agony for legal, legit apps like these. If only Spatial, and other component supplies allow sublicensing or porting of their code for platforms that deserve good CAD apps. Dongle/license code, hard-wire to one machine... i could care less as long as it helps me get my active apps to Linux and my legacy apps on windows.

If i won a $50 lottery i'd give $10M to Punch! to port a native apps and QC/QA them and give them a lifespan of 10-20 years before EOL. An LO BE UNTO ANY company that would dare mess with me and Punch.

Can it not be a simple as decompiling all the Punch! code and then recompiling it all, less the propietary bits owned by other parties? IF so, and IF Punch! allowed at least THAT much development, then systematic pressure could be applied to any outside stalwarts hamstringing the opportunity to develop a native Linux version.

One developer that PROMISED we'd see professional CAD on Linux is BrisCAD. It is nothing short of SOUL-DEADENING and HEART SQUISHING to visit their site or get e-mail updates only to find more corporate yammer and excuses. It's like being with a spouse or lover who cheats or teases and flirts with others but promises there is no real infidelity going on. It just plain HURTS. Ive been on their mailing list about or almost a year, and been watching them for longer than that. It's almost as if they are trying to generate competitive critical mass before actually delivering on any code, as if to create an artifical stampede to be the default matador.

But, at least Punch! and Tim are not teasing nor leading us on. We/I know what i am stuck with, and i can only dream aloud. I'm a micron away from disabling updates from BrisCAD though. I'm tired of the circuitious deadening silence followed by intermittent excuses.

I will look at sysmscape to see what it offers as CFD goes, even if i cannot afford it...

http://www.varicad.com/en/home/products/description/
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:50:52 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Took the words out of my mouth! :D:D:cool:

Actually I've been bugging the developer of VariCAD, to do an X11 version of VariCAD, so that the Mac will run it, but alas, he's not interested :(
tmay  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:27:13 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Took the words out of my mouth! :D:D:cool:

Actually I've been bugging the developer of VariCAD, to do an X11 version of VariCAD, so that the Mac will run it, but alas, he's not interested :(

ttrw,

Do you know what graphics kernel they are using? I suspect that it is opensource, but short of asking the developer's, I haven't a clue.

the other tom
NickB  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:55:17 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks to be OpenGL The hardware requirements are listed [URL="http://www.varicad.com/en/home/products/requirements/"]here[/URL].

Both the Windows and Linux versions reference graphic card with hardware support of OpenGL graphics.

What is unclear is what the kernel is. There is no support for ASICS, ParaSolids or ProE files so data interchange is limited to STEP and the always to be avoided IGES.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:26:45 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I haven't a clue either. I'm even more baffled how they have managed to stay alive. I suppose it's the low price? But now with Alibre? Even ViaCAD? :confused:
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:09:03 AM(UTC)
ttrw

ZLC,

Fwiw, Autodesk announced Maya 2011 64bit for Linux (and Mac/ windows too) yesterday.

http://area.autodesk.com/maya2011/system
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:48:16 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
ZLC,

Fwiw, Autodesk announced Maya 2011 64bit for Linux (and Mac/ windows too) yesterday.

http://area.autodesk.com/maya2011/system

TTRW, Thanks for the heads up.

Red Hat Enterprise is not what i'm running, so i will probably be left out. I wish the Linux Community would get its ACT together and stop fragmenting so many vital parts of the core system. I can appreciate differentiation, but this morass is exactly what vexes and stymies would-be corporate supporters. They, too, want to differentiate so they can justify a decent business model for themselves, but they see a legal and a code-dependency hell right at the door and don't really want to feel booby-trapped.

The Linux devs really need to stabilize and lock-step core features so companies like Autodesk, Punch!, and all the others won't keep chasing a guaranteed-moving-target every 45 days.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 7:14:18 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I'm still in the CAD stage (using Delftship to perfect the hull, and using ViaCAD to stage and work on details), and as far as i can tell, i am quite a long, long way from even using rendering software.

Maybe by the time i am there, something will be on Linux for me to choose...
Tem  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 10:14:22 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not free, however it is native and might work well with Shark/VC:

http://architosh.com/2010/03/caedium-brings-cae-to-mac/
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:09:28 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Tem Go to Quoted Post
Not free, however it is native and might work well with Shark/VC:

http://architosh.com/2010/03/caedium-brings-cae-to-mac/

Erm...Tem....erm, err, this is the very software, thread that tmay had posted originally! :rolleyes: