logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:54:32 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Currently on my setup, when the Zebra is active, I get very slow feedback, the actual strips appear to be rendered rather than real_time feedback (as I would normally see in other products). Is that normal?

Regards,
jol  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:00:23 AM(UTC)
jol

Yes - unfortunately - it is normal - No it's not useful

It's a particularly slow Zebra

It's long overdue an overhaul - Which I'm sure by now is getting close to the top of Tim's list !?
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:46:28 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

jol wrote:
- unfortunately - it is normal - No it's not useful
I also see incorrect results from the Zebra.
unique  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:28:25 PM(UTC)
unique

Zebra does look very neglected in comparison with Rhino and it does not allow dynamic feedback the way it stripes per axis.....hmmmmmmm :confused:

Im also looking to use the surfacing capabilities extensively as well as solids and this type of 'quick' feedback is critical when building and matching etc..Is this likely to get attention anytime soon...developer?

--Paul--
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:39:55 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey Paul! You made it finally?! :D

Tom
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:53:08 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Paul,

unique wrote:
Zebra does look very neglected in comparison with Rhino and it does not allow dynamic feedback the way it stripes per axis.....hmmmmmmm :confused:
It is certainly IMHO not usable.

unique wrote:
Im also looking to use the surfacing capabilities extensively as well as solids and this type of 'quick' feedback is critical when building and matching etc..
Did you see my "match" thread? Please comment (post) on that thread.

Regards,

- Steve(manz)
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 12:16:58 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

I will ask directly to the developers:-

Will there be an improvement on this to make it actually usable?

Regards,... and really hope for a reply, direct answer to this.

- Steve
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 3:16:52 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I should jolly well think so- especially at the rate Tim's been running around lately!! I gotta give it to Tim though, he's kept the Shark alive and in water for all these years. I know how complex CAD software is. Yes I know Shark has had some bugs left there lurking, but I really feel this Punch injection is really going to do this jewel some good. It is also up to us to help spread the gospel in these shark invested waters (a bad shark or two?? :eek: ;) )

We could all start by finding those ads scattered around on the Apple website for one, and leaving some shit hot feedback. At the moment, I believe there is none. (Actually I've just left my mark there- pending approval!) The more seats of Shark that Punch sell, the faster the chances are that this software is going to get updated! :cool:
unique  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 3:53:54 PM(UTC)
unique

Hi Tom,

It's great to see you have so much energy for the product and the developers....however I would rather hope that Shark gets developed based on the fact that it needs it rather than the fact it needs to sell seats ? I for one would not buy if that was the case..

Quote:
Shark has been designed, from the ground up, to be intuitive for the casual user as well as the professional engineer

This is quote from Punch site in which clearly shows their commitment and investment to date in these products...I just hope we see improvements in the areas we are discussing....or at least see a roadmap for the product;)

Ohhh and you wouldnt find me in the Apple camp..im a PC kinda guy :D

--Paul--
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 8:02:35 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hello Paul.

unique wrote:
It's great to see you have so much energy for the product and the developers

Thank you mate. But as a PC 'kind of guy', I suppose you may have misunderstood why I am so passionate about this software?

unique wrote:

....however I would rather hope that Shark gets developed based on the fact that it needs it rather than the fact it needs to sell seats ? I for one would not buy if that was the case..

Well of course, I generally wholeheartedly agree with you, but imo, Shark needs both, because there is little incentive to improve a product if sales are low. This is one of the very reasons I like Tim and want to do everything I can to support his software. Tim has stuck with this through thick and thin. How many other companies can you name me who have shown so much devotion?.

However, what really puts Shark such a strong position at this very moment, is that for Macintosh and Mac OS X, there is NOTHING out there (ACIS-based), at present to touch Shark. As a windows user, I would imagine that you have never even considered that?

unique wrote:

Ohhh and you wouldnt find me in the Apple camp..im a PC kinda guy :D

Paul, the funny thing is that you are already in the Apple camp whether you like it or not! :D I'm also curious to know why you were drawn to the Shark line, because Shark's interface (especially compared to many other PC-based CAD packages), is 100% Macintosh. As a Windows user, you are open to a plethora of CAD packages and applications, and with these existing 'quirks' being part of the current build of VC/ Shark, why have you chosen Shark over other Windows-based packages?

I am a designer, because I like good functional design. I bought my first Mac 15 or so years ago. Before that I was using ones in the graphics departments at work. I have seen Windows go from a DOS based machine to ripping off every single function of the Macintosh (even lately Microsoft have now ripped off Apple's Expose f9 function- I found that one hidden in a Microsoft notebook mouse driver the other day). Microsoft keep at it, ripping off other people ideas- and never quite getting it right, but still people buy this rubbish- and accept it as 'just another virus' or whatever when it all goes wrong, which of course, it is not. I'm ranting now!

I don't want to start a PC vs Mac debate, because they never really go anywhere (and get really boring too), but I will state that I loathe bad design, and I especially loathe windose (but I am forced to use it, because as an engineer, windows is rife- especially in the UK). Now Steve Bullmer is MS CEO (heavens forbid), I'm going to fight this horrible standard dropping platform, until I drop dead! ;)

However, I will end by saying that every hardened PC user I've ever met, or had an acquaintance with, once they have realised how much simpler and more powerful Macs are, have never switched back to Windows. That's a fact. :D
unique  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:01:06 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Tom,

Quote:
Well of course, I generally wholeheartedly agree with you, but imo, Shark needs both, because there is little incentive to improve a product if sales are low. This is one of the very reasons I like Tim and want to do everything I can to support his software. Tim has stuck with this through thick and thin. How many other companies can you name me who have shown so much devotion?.

I don't follow you here because the "code" for what we are asking to be improved is the same for Viacad as it is for Shark no ??. So anyone with Viacad has the same issues to deal with.....

Quote:
Paul, the funny thing is that you are already in the Apple camp whether you like it or not! I'm also curious to know why you were drawn to the Shark line, because Shark's interface (especially compared to many other PC-based CAD packages), is 100% Macintosh. As a Windows user, you are open to a plethora of CAD packages and applications, and with these existing 'quirks' being part of the current build of VC/ Shark, why have you chosen Shark over other Windows-based packages?

Really ?? I'll think about that:D . What drew me to Shark was it's developer and his history and also the fact that I had done considerable research of all "other" products and this one came the closest to my requirements. I also need something which plays nicely with Rhino :)

Quote:
I don't want to start a PC vs Mac debate, because they never really go anywhere (and get really boring too)

Exactly. Well as soon as CAM suppliers begin using MAC I might well think about it but thats about as probable as me going to the moon :D

Let's not get distracted from the purpose of this post otherwise how will these problems get sorted in the first place..

Tim: Have you had time to consider our comments please?

--Paul--
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:09:03 AM(UTC)
ttrw

unique wrote:
as soon as CAM suppliers begin using MAC I might well think about it but thats about as probable as me going to the moon :D

LOL!

I too would think this would be unlikely, because I don't ever see one of those beautiful Apple machines ending up in a dusty, greasy old milling room!! :eek: lol!! However, you never know..... ;)
jol  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:21:23 AM(UTC)
jol

>> Let's not get distracted from the purpose of this post otherwise how will these problems get sorted in the first place

Yes .. the zebras are - and have always been entirely useless

I used the ones in SolidWorks today to compare - and to be clear .. even Freddy Flintstone would be unhappy at using them !
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:26:33 AM(UTC)
ttrw

:eek: OMG! Freddy Flintstone?? That's so cruel!!!! LOL!

Poor old Tim! :eek:
jol  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:33:24 AM(UTC)
jol

Yep Sorry Tim

.. I try to be constructive, but I'm not famed for my gentle approach

8 )
tmay  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:41:48 AM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:
LOL!

I too would think this would be unlikely, because I don't ever see one of those beautiful Apple machines ending up in a dusty, greasy old milling room!! :eek: lol!! However, you never know..... ;)

I realize that you're being facetious, but I can state for a fact that I ran GibbsCAM 5.1, last on a Performa 6115, under OS 9 in conditions that you speak of. Only problems that I ever had were reduced life of the power supply and need to blow off everything with an air gun now and then. I still have that machine, but haven't actually used it since 2004 when I switched to the windows version of GibbsCAM.

One of my Pentium IV PC's, and my Mac Mini is running in the same conditions today, on pretty much 20 hours a day, and barring major issues, will be running until replaced with a Nehalem MacPro running BootCamp and Vista 64 early next year. Only difference for the MacPro is that I will probably rig up a manifold, fan and HEPA filter to provide clean air for it.

Still, I doubt that there will ever be a CAM package available for OSX.

tom
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:49:46 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Actually Tom, you've got a very good point, and I bet you could pick up an old Performa, or even a PPC G4 for £10 and still be able to run GibbsCAM, and it would still give beautiful results. The crappy old PC's running Windows 2000 were always crashing and stalling. I bet GibbsCAM would also run in OS 8.5 (the best ever of the PPC builds imo). :cool:

edit; I've just read that GibbsCAM was originally written for the Macintosh anyway!
ttrw  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:58:31 AM(UTC)
ttrw

tmay wrote:

Still, I doubt that there will ever be a CAM package available for OSX.

I dunno- don't speak too soon!;

http://www.atelierrobin.net/p41.htm

:D
unique  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:08:06 AM(UTC)
unique

jol wrote:
Yep Sorry Tim

.. I try to be constructive, but I'm not famed for my gentle approach

8 )

Hi Jol,

No point beating about the bush is there ??. Zebra analysis needs to be improved then we no longer need Solidworks or Rhino or whatever to check surface integrity..

Any thoughts from the developer ?

--Paul--
ttrw  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:17:23 AM(UTC)
ttrw

unique wrote:
Zebra analysis needs to be improved then we no longer need Solidworks or Rhino or whatever to check surface integrity..

We do, most certainly, but I think it's gonna have to be one thing at a time, because I thought one of the next things to do is to take a look at the history tree?