logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rojharris  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2007 12:56:17 PM(UTC)
rojharris

Hi,

I am wondering if there's a way to show background layers (i.e. the ones I'm not wirking in) in a ghosted or wireframe manner so I can use them as reference for the current layer without them getting in the way and hiding my geometry?

regards
Roger
joev  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2007 8:21:18 PM(UTC)
joev

Import your bmp file into the planar view of choice.

Select the image and Under Object Info, click the transparency box. Hit the Apply button. Click in the window area and your image will be ghosted.

You should put your images on their own layer and lock the layer.
rojharris  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:14:59 AM(UTC)
rojharris

Hi Joev,

Thanks, but I don't mean background images, I mean background layers, with geometry in them. So for example you could make one part in one layer, then start a new layer and model the next part relative to the first, still visible, but in a different display style, like wireframe for example.
All other 3d packages I've used can do this in one way or another and I was wondering if viaCAD has a way to do it too.
I don't want to be able to hide layers or even keep them visible and fully shaded. I want them to be locked in the background, still visible and snappable (optional) but somehow ghosted/wireframed etc.

roger
joev  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:09:58 AM(UTC)
joev

OK, I know you can lock and make objects transparent, but I don't see a way to have only certain objects wireframe.
rojharris  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 9:37:46 AM(UTC)
rojharris

OH...Making the objects transparent (but visible) would work perectly. How do I do that? I can't seem to find it.

cheers
Roger
NickB  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:41:23 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You are right, you can't set view properties on a per layer basis. There is no work around other than what you are doing: turning layers on and off, hiding and showing, transparency on a per object basis, and constantly flipping from shaded to wireframe.

Some things you could do, are use the the selection mask - in the windows menu to limit your selection to a certain layer, then select all and turn transparency on in the edit object dialog.

If you find yourself constantly flipping from wire to shaded modes you might want to set up a keyboard shortcut to speed this up a bit.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
rojharris  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:19:59 PM(UTC)
rojharris

Thanks Nick. I'll have a go at that
jol  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:36:52 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A ghost icon was created for the layer manager - and a fine little ghost he was too

I thought that the lock check box could perhaps cycle through a ghost option

Ghost being, as you suggest .. faint reference material that can be optionally snapped to

It certainly wasn't a priority back then .. perhaps the guys have time to take another look this time round ?

I also did a tape measure icon hoping that might come up soon too .. neither of these were requested
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2007 7:25:41 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>I am wondering if there's a way to show background layers (i.e. the ones >>I'm not wirking in) in a ghosted or wireframe manner so I can use them as >>reference for the current layer without them getting in the way and hiding >>my geometry?

You might be able to use the layer manager to lock these layers and then use a layer color override to set to a light white color.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore