logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robertbrichter  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:16:13 AM(UTC)
robertbrichter

There needs to be a way to align a part that is not square with global X/Y/Z, such as "change view" allowing a named workplane, or another option other than rotate X,y,z or the other two that I don't know how to make them work. I think there should be an option where you select three points, the first two set the horizontal reference, and the third determines the plane for rendering the drawing.

If there is a way to do what I am asking with the rotate by Azimuth/elevation; "rotate current view" by X, Y, Z; or Eye pt/ Reference pt, I would be interested in knowing. I think that when the drawing tool is selected, it should use the current workplane for a starting reference.

Another drawing issue is that align should copy the parent's scale value over. If dimensions cause me to do a "zoom extents", I shouldn't have to copy that value over when I decide to align my other views.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:51:48 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: robertbrichter Go to Quoted Post
There needs to be a way to align a part that is not square with global X/Y/Z, such as "change view" allowing a named workplane, or another option other than rotate X,y,z or the other two that I don't know how to make them work. I think there should be an option where you select three points, the first two set the horizontal reference, and the third determines the plane for rendering the drawing.

If there is a way to do what I am asking with the rotate by Azimuth/elevation; "rotate current view" by X, Y, Z; or Eye pt/ Reference pt, I would be interested in knowing. I think that when the drawing tool is selected, it should use the current workplane for a starting reference.

HI, Robert

Are you trying to create geometry on non standard planes? You can create user work planes with the options in the WorkPlane menu. You can name and save the workplanes and views , and then recall as needed. Use the View the plane command in the view menu and it will display the current workplane. You can also set the snaps to snap to work plane only if you want to draw on the workplane. Another quick way to move work planes is to hover over and item such as an endpoint and hit the c key and it will move the workplane to that point keep hitting and it will toggle the workplane at the point. Use the show the work plane in the workplane menu so you can see its orientation and placement.

Regards
Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
wrkpln3pts.JPG (27kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
snapwrkpln.JPG (19kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
robertbrichter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:10:39 AM(UTC)
robertbrichter

I'm referring to the way the view object that is created when you do a drawing doesn't appear to support named workplanes. If an object is created in a non-orthogonal workplane, it appears I have to copy it somewhere, square it up, then put it in a layer and hide it before I can get a drawing off it.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:28:18 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Robert

If you rt click on the red box at the top of a draw view you can change the view to match any saved views or create a new one. Is this what you mean. You can create geometry in any orientation and then in a draw view you can view any way you wish?

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
changeview.JPG (26kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
robertbrichter  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:20:26 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

How do I extract information from a work plane sufficient to create me a view that squares up my object? Perhaps I could draw X, Y, and Z lines out from a corner of my solid, write down the angle to 3 digits, do some math, and then create a view with the rotate X,Y,and Z option, but a CAD program should be able to do that automatically.
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:31:55 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

HI, Robert

Can you post a sample file?

Jason
Windows 11, 10
robertbrichter  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:14:19 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

Keep in mind, this is a suggestion, not a "HELP!!!" post, which is why I posted it here. The solution at this point is simple; copy the part to a new layer, use rotate transform to get it square with X/Y/Z, then after creating a drawing off this part, hide the layers used to square up the part. I am simply posting to say that there should be a better way.
NickB  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:51:47 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There is a better way:
Go to: WorkPlane > 3 Pts click on three points on your objects face to create the workplane. Then goto WorkPlane > New Work Plane ... and name the workplane.
Then go to : View > View the workplane. You can then save the view by going to View > NewView.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
robertbrichter  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:13:17 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

Thanks. I got it to work. Sorry about the newbie confusion, and that is indeed a much better solution. Maybe the moderator should have waited two weeks for approving me (it took about one week to get signed up). That way, all the newbie questions get figured out. There was a lot I didn't understand in the first week that waiting prevented me from ever posting because I "got it".