logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:01:58 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Tim,

Block diagonals (786)

Goto Dynview and create a block 3 points starting at origin create a cube....no problems. Now do the same thing again only tilt or zoom the display before finalizing the last point .At this stage I get weird stuff on my screen and on two different PC's ?. Same thing if you create in Top then tilt to dynview it goes strange :confused:

Perspective also seems to be wrong unless its my eyes...the shape does not look right...like the camera is inverted or something ?
unique attached the following image(s):
BlockDiagonals.jpg (62kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
nick  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:17:42 AM(UTC)
nick

Can't repeat here on either Windows XP or Mac OS X, which graphics cards are you using in your 2 PCs?

All the best
Nick
unique  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:40:53 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: nick Go to Quoted Post
Can't repeat here on either Windows XP or Mac OS X, which graphics cards are you using in your 2 PCs?

All the best
Nick

Hello Nick,

Did you move or zoom the screen before the 3rd height point ?. Here are the two cards were using :-

Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (Driver Ver. 6.14.11.6265)
Nvidi GeForce 8800 GTX (Driver Ver. 6.14.11.6921)

Update - Also on Quardo FX1400 at home

Hope you can point me in the right direction if its my end
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:31:45 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Paul

I can see the same trailing artifacts on my Vista pc. I guess its some Open GL Issues maybe?

Jason
Windows 11, 10
nick  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:07:45 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Jason

Are you using nvidia board too?

All the best
Nick
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:46:31 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi, Nick

Yes a NVIDIA 8600gt

Thanks

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:03:33 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Haven't a whole load of errors been found with NVIDIA cards recently?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07...400m-8600m-chips-faulty/
nick  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 12:42:50 AM(UTC)
nick

it's not due to faulty nvidia boards, that issue shows itself as either total gpu failure or very strange screen artifacts as enclosed...

i think it's far more likely to be a video driver issue relating to open gl. is anyone experiencing this problem with anything other than an nvidia board?

all the best
nick
nick attached the following image(s):
IMG_0006.jpg (52kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

unique  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:30:08 AM(UTC)
unique

it's not due to faulty nvidia boards, that issue shows itself as either total gpu failure or very strange screen artifacts as enclosed...

i think it's far more likely to be a video driver issue relating to open gl. is anyone experiencing this problem with anything other than an nvidia board?

all the best
nick

Hi Nick,

Strange isnt it. I could be wrong but im guessing its not a driver issue because we operate other softwares using opengl and absolutley no problems on all three systems !
nick  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 4:08:21 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Paul

There are lots of different requests made by cad systems to sections of Open GL, it could be we just make a different request of driver than other software? For example I have a copy of SpaceClaim on one PC which has horrible graphics issues yet Rhino running on the same PC is fine, put both on a different PC and both run fine, both these systems also use Open GL to display models.

I think we need one of the developers to repeat on their hardware to ascertain what's really going on.

All the best
Nick
unique  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 4:33:54 AM(UTC)
unique

Hello Paul

There are lots of different requests made by cad systems to sections of Open GL, it could be we just make a different request of driver than other software? For example I have a copy of SpaceClaim on one PC which has horrible graphics issues yet Rhino running on the same PC is fine, put both on a different PC and both run fine, both these systems also use Open GL to display models.

I think we need one of the developers to repeat on their hardware to ascertain what's really going on.

All the best
Nick

Points taken and we look forward to hearing more on the subject from the developers?
posh.de  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 6:53:57 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
At this stage I get weird stuff on my screen and on two different PC's ?

did you have modified any nVidia video driver settings as e.g. Anti Aliasing etc.?

if yes, you may try if reseting to defaults as e.g. 'let application decide' does have an influence on the OGL video output.

N.
Steve.M  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 6:58:37 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Haven't a whole load of errors been found with NVIDIA cards recently?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07...400m-8600m-chips-faulty/

The report is in connection to laptops and problem with overheating. New drivers where issued, but that was in connection to the fans
Quote:
Laptop makers have apparently already been given an updated GPU driver which kicks in fans sooner to reduce "thermal stress" on the GPU, and NVIDIA says it's talking to its suppliers about being reimbursed for the faulty parts

I am also lead to believe that the problems are within the later chipsets GPU that are direct X 10 (but will look for further info).

- Steve
posh.de  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 7:00:39 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)

Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (Driver Ver. 6.14.11.6265)
Nvidi GeForce 8800 GTX (Driver Ver. 6.14.11.6921)

btw, current is:

Quadro FX (XP x32) : v169.96 f. 06.06.08
GeForce (XP x32) : v175.19 f. 09.07.08

Norbert
Steve.M  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 7:40:07 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I do have a geforce 8600 series card running the latest nvidia drivers and do see this issue.

How it looks to me (and I am not putting forward where the problem possibly is) is that when (for example) you start to draw block~ diagonals, if you first draw the first 2 point is an ortho view, then you rotate the view to get the hight, then it is at first OK, but if you then rotate the view again, then you see the problem, and it looks like the last position the cursor was at (for the hight of the block) the shape is drawn as solid lines,.. where the block originated those lines from that are still being drawn, so as you move the hight of the block you see lines being drawn from the last cursor position (hight of the block) and lines being drawn from the origin of the shape, so in effect you get lines being drawn over lines.

I have just installed viacad trial onto a laptop with via/s3g onboard graphics and seeing the same.

- Steve
unique  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 3:05:08 PM(UTC)
unique

....it also happens with Ellipsoid diagonals. Not detrimental to the software but disturbing none the less :eek:

I have played around with card settings but cant seem to lose it....anyone else been successful with Nvidia chipset ?

--

Also, creates artifacts with curves such as major axis polygon....I'll add to this thread if anymore
File Attachment(s):
Display-avi.zip (893kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

unique  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:06:14 AM(UTC)
unique

....it also happens with Ellipsoid diagonals. Not detrimental to the software but disturbing none the less :eek:

I have played around with card settings but cant seem to lose it....anyone else been successful with Nvidia chipset ?

--

Also, creates artifacts with curves such as major axis polygon....I'll add to this thread if anymore

Tim ???

Do you see the same thing at you end and what can you recommend to those of us with this issue please.

Thank You
NickB  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 12:37:22 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nick,
The screen you posted of a MacBook Pro, looked a little similar to the openGL issues that have been reported all over the net, with some ATI X1600 chipsets and that I was having a few weeks back (and am still having occasionally).
http://forum.punchcad.com/attac...hmentid=837&d=1219387348
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1323

TTRW,
Please before you tell me to re-bed the vram in my iMac, which is not possible as you should know it is soldered to the motherboard, then repair permissions (voodoo) etc, read what I wrote about this definitely being a software issue, and not looking for help fixing the issue, but instead trying to find out if others had seen the issue.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc