logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:16:07 PM(UTC)
unique

Hi Tim / Ryan,

Im testing exporting STEP into Rhino just recently...I have a coupla issues

1) My units are mm (3 dec plcs) in VC but when I import the file into Rhino I get told that the STEP units are Inches :eek:.

2) After the above takes place...Rhino gives me the option to scale the geometry by 25.4, if I do that the geometry sizes are slightly different :eek:

VC size is 25.8 x 53.051 x 31.892mm
After imported in Rhino 25.818 x 53.069 x 31.904

Any ideas how this is happening guys & how it can be avoided!
File Attachment(s):
STEP Issue.zip (284kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:28:59 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>1) My units are mm (3 dec plcs) in VC but when I import the file into >>Rhino I get told that the STEP units are Inches :eek:.

The STEP file format supports a unit format descriptor. It is up to the reading app to convert the specified format to whatever format it thinks best.

Our native format for storing data is inches so when we export to STEP we mark the data as inches, without any conversions, to preserve accuracy.

>>2) After the above takes place...Rhino gives me the option to scale the >>geometry by 25.4, if I do that the geometry sizes are slightly different >>:eek:

Does VC read the same STEP file in aok? If so, then perhaps Rhino has an scale accuracy issue or general accuracy issue.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
nick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:04:47 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Paul

Not sure what's causing the problem for you but I can't repeat. When I export your file as STEP and then import into Rhino the component is identical. See enclosed screen grabs. If you would like to discuss further feel free to give me a call or email.

All the best
Nick
nick attached the following image(s):
Shark FXScreenSnapz002.jpg (12kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
VMware FusionScreenSnapz001.jpg (15kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

unique  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:23:10 PM(UTC)
unique

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply, will drop you a line tomorrow.

Are you getting the dialogue from Rhino that the units of the step file is in Inches....This also happens when I export IGES from VC into Rhino ?

What am i doing wrong here :confused:
unique  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:45:12 PM(UTC)
unique

Okay spent another 5mins checking and seemingly Rhino doesn't like the corner fillets created by setback....if you look closely there are issues with those surfaces..there are not made that well in VC.

You can see what I mean better by using analyze>bounding box

The planar surfaces report the correct size cube of 100mm. Im still uncertain why VC exports everything in inches when im working in metric ?

Pls advise someone.
unique attached the following image(s):
trimcurves.jpg (22kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

nick  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:43:36 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Paul

Whatever the user units, internally the system uses inches, as units are defined in IGES and STEP standards there isn't really a need to export these formats using user units as destination systems such as Rhino recognise file is in inches.

I guess Tim and the guys only thought it necessary to add unit drop down for file formats which do not contain unit definition such as DXF/DWG although I wouldn't imagine it would be too much of a problem to add this capibility.

I'm not seeing the same problems you are in Rhino, setback surfaces look fine to me?

All the best
Nick
unique  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:08:27 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: nick Go to Quoted Post
Hello Paul

Whatever the user units, internally the system uses inches, as units are defined in IGES and STEP standards there isn't really a need to export these formats using user units as destination systems such as Rhino recognise file is in inches.

I guess Tim and the guys only thought it necessary to add unit drop down for file formats which do not contain unit definition such as DXF/DWG although I wouldn't imagine it would be too much of a problem to add this capibility.

I'm not seeing the same problems you are in Rhino, setback surfaces look fine to me?

All the best
Nick

I disagree, the unit of the file exported from VC be it STEP or IGES should always match that of the original file unless as you say there are options when being exported.

The Rhino issue is OT therefore I will reply off the forum. A quick note - I would suggest you try to obtain the size of the solid in Rhino using BBox then you will see the size descrepency......
nick  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:23:50 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Paul

I've taken a look at Analyze Bounding Box and see discrepancy in Rhino, however if you actually examine the STEP file in a text editor the co-ordinates are correct so something is happening at the Rhino end as opposed to the Shark/ViaCAD, I'm wondering whether there is some sort of fitting tolerance being used to create bounding box?

Will investigate further.

All the best
Nick
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:43:10 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Paul, from experience, STEP isn't that a brilliant format as it once should have been. A shame, but unfortunately true. IGES isn't that much cop either IMO.
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:37:54 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Paul,

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Okay spent another 5mins checking and seemingly Rhino doesn't like the corner fillets created by setback....if you look closely there are issues with those surfaces..there are not made that well in VC.

There does appear to be a problem there where the setback is joining the main edge rad. It actually looks like a slight bulge.

I checked in Rhino which gives a bounded box as you describe, I also checked the step fie which also reports Cartesian_point(s) as outside the original box limits.
So yes, there is a problem and wonder if it is part of the bug to perform correct surface matching.

- Steve
unique  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:05:37 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Paul, from experience, STEP isn't that a brilliant format as it once should have been. A shame, but unfortunately true. IGES isn't that much cop either IMO.

Not sure what you mean exactly Tom. My issue is not with the format or the output really but instead the units at which VC exports. You see I work in mm and I expect my software to export in the same format as I model...VC does not ?

I hope we can have the provision to maintain units at export level soon:rolleyes:
unique  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:09:01 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

There does appear to be a problem there where the setback is joining the main edge rad. It actually looks like a slight bulge.

I checked in Rhino which gives a bounded box as you describe, I also checked the step fie which also reports Cartesian_point(s) as outside the original box limits.
So yes, there is a problem and wonder if it is part of the bug to perform correct surface matching.

- Steve

Thanks Steve - Im glad you can also see these descrepencies....keeps me sane :D
ttrw  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:09:49 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
You see I work in mm and I expect my software to export in the same format as I model...VC does not ?

It could just be that America's still gripped by inches?! :rolleyes:

STEP is a French invention if I'm not mistaken- so originally it would have been in mm? Have you tried OBJ files? They're good :)
unique  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:15:48 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Have you tried OBJ files? They're good :)

.....OBJ's are for pretty pictures:rolleyes:...I deal with real life manufacturing issues therefore our workflow is setup to deal with nurbs/solid data for downstream appz.

Actually, SAT out of VC is great but I have been finding myself going back to Rhino just recently to do simple geometry tasks which VC will not perform (yet)...hence why ive been playing with formats.

STEP & IGES and any other format for that matter should be exported in more than Iches format...come on fairs fair !!
Tim Olson  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:21:02 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Im still uncertain why VC exports everything in inches
>>when im working in metric ?

STEP is a pretty good format and well accepted in the precision CAD community. In the international standards world, it replaced IGES and includes more up to date definitions for solids as well as manufacturing data. IE IGES has issues with mated/coincident faces.

Unlike DXF/DWG, STEP requires the exporting app specify the unit format of the data within the file. It is up to the receiving system to transform the specified format into the one best suited for the receiving system.

Each CAD system chooses their own native unit format. Typically the users are not even aware what the developer has chosen for their native data representation. I'm familiar with major cad systems choosing inches, mm, and even meters.

I have been grilled for years by Spatial not to transform spline data unless it is absolutely necessary. Since our native data definitions are in inches, we export STEP files in our native format to preserve the most accuracy of the data. As such, we have no plans of adding a drop down unit to STEP. We leave it to the receiving system to best choose any conversions of data.

Some more notes:
---Precision and transforms are a huge deal with a solid modeling kernel. It makes or breaks commands from working, especially nearly tangent spline faces in booleans and blending.

---ACIS keeps all data localized around the origin. A transform is added on top of the localized data to position it. Operations such as intersectors are performed on the local data to eliminate error build up related to transforms.

--When you change units in Shark/VC, no underlying geometry data is changed. Unit handling is a post process before strings are displayed to the screen.

Hope that helps!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
nick  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:22:46 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Paul

I went back and re-examined STEP file after seeing Steve's post and agree with your/his findings. Sorry, when I skimmed through the file first time around I was just looking for particular value and as soon as I found it I stopped looking. :o

All the best
Nick
Steve.M  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:48:30 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Nick,

I was looking further at this, as I am now curious. From the output of step from VC I do see the problems (but have only looked at a cube with 3 adjoining edges with rad/setback). But if I convert the model to mesh within VC and then go over the model in VC to look for any point outside the box, then I see no problem. I did convert to mesh and made output to step, but that file gave errors when attempting to import to other cad, and VC would not re-load that step file.

So I am not sure as to where/what the problem is.

- Steve