logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 2:35:08 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a model that I am trying to send out for tooling, problem is there are a couple of holes in the solid / surface skin and the toolmakers keep sending it back. I have been able to repair a few of the holes by adding solids of exactly the same profile as the hole, but have two that I don't know how to fix. Any help / sudgestions would be appreciated. Unfortunatly I cant post the model for obvious reasons, but I am including a screenshot of one of the problem areas.

How have other people dealt with this sort of problem in the past ?
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_01.jpg (33kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
NickB  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 2:46:53 AM(UTC)
NickB

Answering myself . . .

Exporting the part and then re-importing it with check object on heals some holes, but not all.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
jol  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 3:20:20 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nick I think that's just the faceter
!?

Could be it fixes itself if you change the resolution ?
Nick R  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:10:29 AM(UTC)
Nick R

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nick are these really holes or just faces that don't display properly? Try making an Offset surface with 0.0 mm offset and boolean together with the part withe Add Solid tool. This some times works for me. This problem seems to come up with parts that have had a lot of work done to them and are quite complex.

Nick R
billbedford  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 5:14:03 AM(UTC)
billbedford

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
I have a model that I am trying to send out for tooling, problem is there are a couple of holes in the solid / surface

The guys at [URL="http://www.shapeways.com/"]http://www.shapeways.com/[/URL] recommend Meshlab [URL="http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/"]http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/[/URL] for this. It won't run on my machine so I haven't tried it yet.
unique  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 9:31:44 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Nick,

I realise you cannot post the model. What about splitting the solid just over the area where you are having difficulty OR explode the surfaces and leave the surrounding surfaces ??

Alternatively we are toolmakers....we could machine the part for you !!:D
NickB  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 2:09:53 PM(UTC)
NickB

billbedford,
Thanks for the meshlab thing, but it looks like it will only work on poygonal mesh based models and uses formats like OBJ that I dont have in CU4.

Nick,
I tried the offset zero surface and that has worked in two of the three cases. Changing model resolution fixed a third area as Jol sugested, but I still have one very stuborn hole. I have tried offseting a zero surface, thickening it into a solid and booleaning, but that does not work. Also tried offsetting the surface 0.001 and thickening and that also did not work. Ofseting the surface 0.1, thickening and booleaning did work, but I end up with an ugly bump in the surface. Unfortunatly using the move surface tool failed to clean things up.
NickB attached the following image(s):
corner.jpg (50kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
unique  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 3:08:42 PM(UTC)
unique

Why dont you just use surface tools, forget solids for a minute :rolleyes:
NickB  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:46:36 PM(UTC)
NickB

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Why dont you just use surface tools, forget solids for a minute :rolleyes:

Paul,
Thanks, that's what I did when created a zero offset surface that I then added to the main solid. Unfortunately that simple fix did not work for all instances, which is why I reverted to creating an offset surface / solid that I then joined to the main solid.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
unique  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 5:12:28 PM(UTC)
unique

Well if you are sorted now.....thats good.

If you are still not happy just post the neighbouring surfaces to the one you need building and ill try to help if I can.;)
NickB  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 6:33:00 PM(UTC)
NickB

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Well if you are sorted now.....thats good.

If you are still not happy just post the neighbouring surfaces to the one you need building and ill try to help if I can.;)

Thanks eveyone for your help on this.

Issue now is that everything looks good (or good'ish) in CU, but the toolmaker is still bitching and moaning when they open the file in SolidWorks. I guess you just can't make some people happy.

I must say that I am really looking forward to that native SolidWorks export that is coming in Shark V6 :rolleyes:
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
jol  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:43:31 AM(UTC)
jol

are they bitching because it's not a native SolidWorks file with history etc ?

I guess even if it was, they'd be bitching about something : )
zumer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:10:05 PM(UTC)
zumer

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
I guess you just can't make some people happy.

I must say that I am really looking forward to that native SolidWorks export that is coming in Shark V6 :rolleyes:

Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy! How come they're not using the purported immeasurable power of the software they paid big for just to impress you? It's amazing that a nominal service bureau can't or won't invest the few minutes work to rebuild a face or two (from your pic it's not too difficult to figure what's missing) to facilitate the service you've gone to them for. I have a mental picture of people sitting on their chuffs bitching about jobs going offshore and wondering why....
Tim Olson  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:09:55 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Nick

That appears to be a facetting issue. You might download the current demo to confirm its fixed.

Something I do to confirm a facetting error and not a geometry error is display the body with isolines turned on in wireframe.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
NickB  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:01:02 AM(UTC)
NickB

Tim,
The holes in the solid surface appeared after I booleaned a bunch of parts to the solid that contained the facet. The facets were previously good. Generally I find that the more complex a model becomes the more likely I am to get these sorts of random issues. The problem is so great that we had to send the part out for tooling without adding all the required fillets as things become even weirder. (Sorry hard to explain, but the model appears to invert from solid to a wire frame that was the complimentary color to the solid blue goes red red. Every time I try and move this wireframe on screen the beach-ball appears for 30 seconds so I quit at that point.).

I tried upgrading to V5.5 months ago, but gave up as the Authorization number would not take. I spent a few days going through this with tech support and we tried a bunch of numbers, but always the same problem. Shark would launch in my admin account but required re-authorization every time. In my user account the same authorization number would not work at all so I was limited to demo (no saving or export) mode. The project was started in CU4 (ACIS 17) and I am loath to move over and create incompatibility between files.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
Tim Olson  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:21:25 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Nick

I remember fixing this problem. The facets that are calcuated from the face have an inverted normal. For solids, only facets pointing towards the eye are shown, thus it looks like a hole. This should only impact the display, it should not impact exporting the data. The isolines are derived from the data that is actually exported.

>>I tried upgrading to V5.5 months ago, but gave up as the Authorization >>number would not take....and I am loath to move over and create >>incompatibility between files.

Yup understand. If you get to some point where you want to try again private email me and we can set up a gotomeeting where I can watch and try and figure it out.

TIm
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore