logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:24:53 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just downloaded and tried [URL="http://www.flatblackfilms.com/iphone/Voxel/Voxel.html"]Voxel[/URL] for the iPhone / Touch. The app describes itself as a 3-D pixel editor. It also describes itself as ". . . pretty useless! But it is kind of fun.

One intriguing aspect of the app is that it allows you to navigate in 3D space by rotating the iPhone / Touch around the object, this made me think that perhaps the iPhone could be used as a 3D navigator similar to the SpaceNavigator. The idea would be that you could move the iPhone to the position / angle that you wanted, and your model would follow on the screen. Then press a button on the iPhones screen to release the model so that you could put the iPhone back down on the table. Of course, pinch to zoom and swipe to pan.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
tmay  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:22:55 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
I just downloaded and tried [URL="http://www.flatblackfilms.com/iphone/Voxel/Voxel.html"]Voxel[/URL] for the iPhone / Touch. The app describes itself as a 3-D pixel editor. It also describes itself as ". . . pretty useless! But it is kind of fun.

One intriguing aspect of the app is that it allows you to navigate in 3D space by rotating the iPhone / Touch around the object, this made me think that perhaps the iPhone could be used as a 3D navigator similar to the SpaceNavigator. The idea would be that you could move the iPhone to the position / angle that you wanted, and your model would follow on the screen. Then press a button on the iPhones screen to release the model so that you could put the iPhone back down on the table. Of course, pinch to zoom and swipe to pan.

There are a few apps for the iphone as an input device, but none that do as you are asking. But a virtual trackball with zoom and pan to mimic the space navigator would certainly seem feasible with multitouch and wifi (though I would prefer blue tooth myself for portability) even without the accelerator in the iphone. I use the Space Pilot with my left hand and mouse with the right, but having a Space Pilot with a numeric keypad added would meet all of my design needs. Again, something that could be done with an iphone.

Look to the Apple tablet/slate when it arrives to become a full fledged touch input device for apple macs.

tom
hadmack  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:55:06 PM(UTC)
hadmack

My SpaceNavigator only cost $60. Isn't that a bargain compared with the price of an iPhone?
jol  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:35:25 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can you call your wife on it ?
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:44:42 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I still think the Logitech trackball marble is the bollocks! :p

I bought a brand new one the other day- for use on my PC. Brilliant! :D

The Apple Magic Mouse looks pretty interesting too.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:31:37 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
It's great. Last year when i was on PCLinuxOS i used it to manipulate/rotate/orbit drawings in ViaCAD in Vista in VirtualBox. Too bad the driver install is such a PITA (for me, at least) as it needs to talk to the kernel.

When i upr... sidegraded to Mandriva i had issues (or i got lazy?) but now i am not using it much because the cable/wire interface at the aluminum housing of the Navigator is delicate. Since i used to carry it a LOT in my backpack (in the original conformal plastic shipping protector) i would wind the wire up and stuff it as shipped from the factory. But, i quickly tired of the weight and of the wire wrapping because i don't want to destroy it the way i did my laptop's original power supply.

But, it IS a very nice device, despite a coworker who says he could do all that in ACAD 2008/(9?) without using the hardware, and not that 2010 is out i think he's even more certain. But i prefer a device off the side of the keyboard so i can avoid moving my hand to keys all the time even though i can touch type.
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:35:35 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I thought I should mention this;

http://www.dopplerthepom.com/ke...rthepom/KeyPad_Home.html

Keypad is a remote access device for iPhone and Google SketchUp. It would be great if the software could be adapted for Shark. Tim? You reading this? :D
NickB  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 1:23:40 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
I thought I should mention this;

http://www.dopplerthepom.com/ke...rthepom/KeyPad_Home.html

Keypad is a remote access device for iPhone and Google SketchUp.

And there is the free version of this:
http://balmuda.com/en/laboratory/numberkey/

While you are there also check out the CNC'd laptop stands.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc