logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:08:33 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Question for Tim.
When I import a .SAT file it goes onto the current active layer.
When I import a .STEP it creates a new layer at the bottom of my layer list named : STEPimport_fileName

Is there a reason for this inconsistent behavior ?
Could it be changed so that you can always import into the current active layer?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:52:10 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
AND, when importing layers, can the root layers not needing to be duplicated be ignored, such as Construction/Dimension, and so on?

When two files have the same layer construction, and I want to import a whole tree, I'd like to be able to. I'd like for there to be an interface similar to in Filemaker/Lotus Approach/other databases, where there is a row-by-row, left-right column view with arrows to select/de-select which layers come in, which overried the target, and which defer to the target, provided Shark is able to "deconflict" geometry issues prior to accepting and committing a commanded change/import.
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2014 3:19:26 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Is there a reason for this inconsistent behavior ?

Hi Nick
STEP files have layers and SAT do not. I think I need to look at adding an option for import into current layer or preserve existing layers.

FYI, with 1105, I changed dragging a (viacad/shark) file from the desktop into the drawing window to not create sub layers.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:18:28 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
It would be stellarly awesome if, when working between/with two VCP/Shark/Slt files, the copied object had an ability to carry with it all of its layer structure, which could be plopped into a VCP/Shark drawing. It would save tons of hours of manual recreation of layer info when xrefs is not wanted.

Speaking of xrefs, can xrefs' "binding" also drag in the entiies' specific layer structure? If a piece of geometry is selected and copied and pasted into another VCP/Shark file then "encapsulization" of the geometry's layers could be a type of "snipping/cutting" and then be placed on a particular layer tree or branch of the user's choosing.

Then, if needed, the user should be able to cut and paste branches or twigs or stems into other layers. Even any layer should be able to become a separate or top-level layer for drawing reorganization purposes. Mid-stage drawings that get repurposed cost a lot of time "merge" into another, new base-level drawing. And, when I make a mistake and structure a layer in opposition to a previous task, it's painful to reconcile things.

I'll scrounge up $100+ just to see that facility in the next upgrade, especially if it happens within the next 4 months.