logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:41:44 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
HDRI's are now standard in every rendering application I see .. including Lightworks in SolidWorks, as is global illumination

So why dont we use them in LightWorks for Concepts ?

LightWorks supplies it

Isn't it a case of just enabling / implementing them ?

It's really a problem when you're trying to compete with other designers whose visualisation systems have features implemented literally years before

I'd like to remind all those who use Concepts that we've only had the ability to reflect environments at all since CU3 .. now we really really need to step up to HDRIs and global illumination !!

Hoping for good things from V5 !?
tmay  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2007 6:16:19 AM(UTC)
tmay

>>I would like to think that HDRi is a done deal for V5. I just hope that the economics add up for Tim.

HDRI and global illumination is something we are looking into.

(Tom oops, I somehow edited your original message sorry instead of repsonding to it!!! Tim)
Arketype  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:25:07 PM(UTC)
Arketype

If you need GI rendering, animation capability etc. you can get it now.
I recommend EIAS. It's a blazing fast renderer, and it produces great quality images.

Very simple GI setup compared to lightworks (as implemented in formZ) and I think the GI is better quality.

True HDRI support is slated for v7 due to be released soon.

Concepts supports EIAS through the FACT model export option.

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/
giulioandrea  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:32:54 PM(UTC)
giulioandrea

just for geeks,
but if the obj exporter worked we could all use Radiance which is free HDRI ready and physically accurate :-)
G.
mikeschn  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 10:09:46 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
got any examples of a Radiance render?

Mike...

giulioandrea wrote:
just for geeks,
but if the obj exporter worked we could all use Radiance which is free HDRI ready and physically accurate :-)
G.
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
giulioandrea  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 11:47:52 AM(UTC)
giulioandrea

I got one very old file that shows some features such as DOF.
but there are better examples on the net.
try to search for radiance and you'll see.

Interestingly enough the program which is Unix base run on the Mac really well.
ciao
G.

PS we need OBJ

[ATTACH]133[/ATTACH]!
File Attachment(s):
example.jpeg (24kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
mikeschn  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 11:59:43 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hmmmmm... I wonder if mine does HDRI? :confused:

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
tmay  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 1:11:18 PM(UTC)
tmay

Tim,

I hope that it works out.

PTC just added HDRI to ARX in Wildfire 4.0 (which is still beta) and SolidWorks added it in 2007. It sounds like it has gone pretty mainstream, though only recently.

Standalone renderers like Maxwell are great as they take advantage of available cores, and network nodes can be added, albeit at a cost.

I suspect most people would be happy rendering in a batch mode on multicore processors in off hours, but I did notice a commercial renderfarm that supports Maxwell, especially for those that might need it for animations.

tom
jol  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 1:30:59 PM(UTC)
jol

Batch Render could be an easy feature for Tim ..

Just step through a bunch of 'saved views'

The rendering could happen when you're asleep
tmay  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 2:10:41 PM(UTC)
tmay

jol wrote:
Batch Render could be an easy feature for Tim ..

Just step through a bunch of 'saved views'

The rendering could happen when you're asleep

Jol,

How about a Punch! renderfarm?

That would be just the ticket for those who have a tight schedule, but want the best image quality, or need an animation.

Subscription and/or nominal fee, I think that it would be economic for Punch! to consider. Still batch though.

tom
jol  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 2:17:05 PM(UTC)
jol

My point was that ..

.. batch render would need precious little work to implement

It's effectively a queue of renderings, just like an animation

A renderfarm would presumably take quite some resources to implement
tmay  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 2:59:09 PM(UTC)
tmay

gotcha.

I would be easy to implement batch.

tom
Tem  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:10:13 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am all for a realistic HDRI+ GI renderer being integrated into CU 5. If this is going to be done, it has to be easy to set-up & easy to preview, and run in the background. Also, give me a way to easily modify it. (I hear the peanut gallery already).

I already use a complicated rendering program, and it is one of the easiest I have used (Cinema 4D). I really need a rendering solution that is not another program onto itself. Being integrated is nice, or even appear to be integrated is fine.

Just my two cents, plus interest.
Tem  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 12:49:07 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

I just tried out Hypershot from www.bunkspeed.com on my MacBook Pro. They have an os x demo version. It is seemingly quite good at this point, but is very processor intensive. It makes the computer fans very loud. At the moment it seems that not all CAD type file are easily imported, as I tried several types. The interface is very simple. Hypershot really does give control back to the creative types, as there is very little technical knowledge or experience needed. I do wish I had a quad-core with 4 GB Ram to run this program though. Hypershot might be able to work with CU versions via a plug-in interface.
Tem  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 12:49:09 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

I just tried out Hypershot from www.bunkspeed.com on my MacBook Pro. They have an os x demo version. It is seemingly quite good at this point, but is very processor intensive. It makes the computer fans very loud. At the moment it seems that not all CAD type file are easily imported, as I tried several types. The interface is very simple. Hypershot really does give control back to the creative types, as there is very little technical knowledge or experience needed. I do wish I had a quad-core with 4 GB Ram to run this program though. Hypershot might be able to work with CU versions via a plug-in interface.
damiane  
#16 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2007 3:43:51 PM(UTC)
damiane

This does seem to be an ongoing grumble for all of us. Perhaps the guys in charge of the rendering side of the program don't think it is important.

I am a customer and it would seem that many other users think it is important.

HDI etc is now standard on many software competitors and we need it NOW!
Arketype  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:40:11 AM(UTC)
Arketype

In my (admittedly very limited) testing of Maxwell, it is just too slow for me to use on a daily basis. Renderings take hours, not minutes. (although the results are stunning).

I am using EIAS for animation and Global Illumination rendering.
Most GI still renderings of mine render in less than 15 minutes. Some even faster.
Full HDRI support is available in v7 which should be released in mid-november.

for info:
http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/
Claus  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 11:14:19 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I don't want to start a render fight, but I would recommend anyone considering Electricimage to try it before they buy. I used it casually for 5 years but never realy got the whole idea. It must have the world record for obscure settings and to render a complex scene with every new "sexy" feature turned on, it is as slow as any comparable competitor.

The trick with Maxwell is to setup the scene fast which is possible let it render (on a fast machine) and ajust the lights with the incredible multilight technology WHILE or even AFTER rendering. That way the machine does the work while your brain is available for other tasks.

Anyway that's just my personal opinion. You decide what works for you.
Tem  
#19 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 12:26:27 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

I gave this issue about product rendering capabilities in CU some more thought.
I think the basic internal renderer is good, the interface is a bit different from what I am accustomed to as it is a wee cryptic, not so visual and drag and drop oriented. But, I think it is more important that there be strong file type sharing options (ie OBJ), or a renderer plugin for making renderings outside of CU (soon to be SharkFX). I say this because I really don't think paying for rendering technologies/capabilities more than once is practical for many CAD users here, especially because those rendering programs are good at what they were designed to do, just as CU is good for ID. Of course, we all want to make our virtual work look as real as possible. So do I, however do we really need this from a CAD program? I know that jumping through file exports and imports is a time waster. There has got to be a better way, but at what cost? Are we all wanting HDRI and GI at the cost of having buggy software? Wouldn't we all rather have all those feature issues on Jol's list resolved? I would sacrifice HDRI (that is already being done well outside of CU) for a much more stable and bug free and feature rich ID CAD program. That is what I bought CU for. I have a great rendering program already that does animation too, but CAD it does not. So, I think that until there is a major reason for investing in photo-realism, that we should hold-off and get those other things taken care of in the mean time.