logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:24:47 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When I am working on larger files (50-150 MB) I get the ambiguity box very quickly but highlight and selecting the item under my cursor can take 10-30 seconds (although it seems like forever).

Do any of the software geeks out there know what part of my hardware is not keeping up?

I don't know how much difference it makes but I have a double-dual-core 2.66 processor Mac Pro with 4 gig ram and and ATI Radeon X1900.

Thanks in advance,

Art

Macintel Shark FX 750
nick  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:33:59 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Art

Are you doing anything like a select all either in the same file or other files at some stage before performing select in question? I seem to remember that we used to cache all selects to make them quicker in the future which is great for small parts when selecting edges and faces but with large 2D drawings the advantage of caching is rapidly lost. If this is the case you could confirm by quitting the program and relaunching and then try opening file in question and select as before.

All the best
Nick
Art  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:18:28 PM(UTC)
Art

Nick,

Thanks for your note but you have lost me. By selecting an item it goes in a cache?

Could you explain more?

Thanks,

Art
nick  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:59:02 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Art

As I said I'm not sure we're still caching selections (feel free to step in Tim / Ryan) but we used to in order to improve selection times.

I guess the data being cached is the visible edges of objects so that select colour could be applied more quickly next time rather than the system having to go through and calculate which edges are visible and should be painted with selection colour everytime something is selected.

All the best
Nick
dexter  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:24:11 AM(UTC)
dexter

Are you using a Wacom tablet and mouse?
Art  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:55:58 AM(UTC)
Art

I am using a logitech marble trackball but I change between trackballs and different mice regularly and never see any difference in selection delays.

Art

Macintel Shark fx
Art  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:40:29 AM(UTC)
Art

I am starting to think it is a graphic card issue. The reason I say that is that my ambiguity popup comes up. and I can actually select something from the list and it will be selected. What does not happen quickly is the item from the list being highlighted. So in other words, I select something from the list and do not know what it is until it appears.

Usually what I am doing is selecting one from hundreds of hidden items.

Art
ZeroLengthCurve  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:14:27 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I too had for the past few months experienced 20-40 seconds of delay when working on files. Turns out my lags got worse as i kept using the same write area of the drive. Any attempts to read, write to or copy from the area take minutes to HOURS for anything from 50MB or even 1MB.

If your system has S.M.A.R.T. drive hardware analysis software, run it to make sure you aren't having a failing drive. I bought a 160 GB disk in Jan or Feb, only to have it start dying. It DID initially make electronic sizzle-like and electronic pop-like noises, but these were hard to pin down til i decided to confirm a few days ago. I found i had some 2,800 errors, and then after tiring and trying to copy the data off, the errors grew to some 5,000+.

I'm using vista, inside VirtualBox (1.5.0 thru 2.0 due to the recent release by Sun), on PCLinuxOS and Mandriva 2008.0 PowerPack. I doubt that any of the OS's are culprits. Could be G forces on my laptop or bumps during a write, or just a bad disk.
nick  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:56:51 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Art

Try switching to wireframe display mode as opposed to shaded and see if that improves things.

All the best
Nick
Art  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:38:19 PM(UTC)
Art

Nick,

I only work in wireframe, you only live so long I figure.

But thanks for still thinking about it. I am sort of waiting for the new macs but I am afraid that without knowing that it is a cpu unit, and that the software can take advantage of it, I will just be throwing out money for little gain.

Do you think it is my graphic card?

Art
nick  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:33:01 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Art

I wouldn't have thought so but without knowing which graphics card you have it's difficult to say. I have a couple of Macs here with various graphics cards I can test on if you would like to upload / email me your file?

All the best
Nick
Art  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:35:51 PM(UTC)
Art

Nick,

I am using a ATI Radeon X1900 XT.

Sending you a file I don't think would be too helpful because it happens with all my larger files, but thank you for the offer.

Do you ever see this problem with your larger files?

The files I am working on now vary between 102 and 120 MB. I know that sounds very large but I am working with a variety of mechanical/optical subassemblies. I was hoping to be able to have enough "horsepower" so that I could keep them in my assemblies. Keeping them as separate drawings would really wreck my "flow".

Best regards,
Art

Macintel Shark FX 750