logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
norbertsf  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:06:55 AM(UTC)
norbertsf

I know it was mentioned earlier that ( by Tim) that there is a Licensed part library that may be included at some point.

I just had to create a worm (threaded rod for worm drive) and I resorted to Vectorworks with actually has a 3d object (among others) for this purpose.
It is very adjustable, and I then exported out to ViaCAD. I prefer not to use the 3D in Vectorworks.

Is something like this possible now in Shark, or in the future? Massive time saver. And love the option of showing/not showing threads. (Tim also mentioned no thread-detail would be included in the Library.)

I know Vectorworks costs more than ViaCAD, but price wise for the "Machine Design" version, it's on par with Shark FX.
How can they do this?
What is preventing Punch from doing this in ViaCAD/Shark?

Thanks,
Norbert M

[img=http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4404/wormgear.th.jpg]
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:56:16 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: norbertsf Go to Quoted Post
I prefer not to use the 3D in Vectorworks.

Norbert, what's wrong with Vectorworks' 3D function? I would like to know. :)
norbertsf  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:17:00 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

The inteface is much slower that ViaCAD's for one (part is very heavy in VW when rotating and moving--fine in ViaCAD--using a Intel-Quad-Core Mac-), and it would be nice to be able to do this in the same program. ( I had to export as an IGES file).
Once you have the file in ViaCAD and you need to update it, you have to revise the part in Vectorworks, and import back into ViaCAD.
It then needs to be moved to the correct position, put on the appropriate layer, material attributes changed, etc.

It's a workflow thing.
Just surprised that Vectorworks has this and not ViaCAD (Shark doesn't either I presume?).

Norbert M
zumer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:51:20 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Norbert: sweep a helix with a profile, coaxial with a rod (cylinder) for a worm or thread. It's not slow.
norbertsf  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:11:20 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

VectorWorks is slow...not ViaCAD.
Yes I know you can "build" a threaded rod/worm in ViaCAD/Shark, but it would be nice to have the workflow of a parametric "detailed" part library like Vectorworks.

That is the point of my post.

Norebert M
lgrijalva  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:29:41 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

I am agree with this, but not to slow, vector works it is great for where shark fails, as the 2d drafting for example, but shark is a lot better for 3d, about the parametric libraries-symbol parts, i think that shark should have it, or at least a descent 3d part symbol libraries, personally, i have and old ones from the concepts days, and i get lost trying to find the right one, and i only get a 3d part made it of a group of curves instead a solid part. and spent time modeling every screw, bolt or fastener it shouldn't be necessarily. (sorry about my bad english btw)
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
norbertsf  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:58:02 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

lgrijalva,

Agreed, VW is slow in the 3D, but very efficient in the 2D (ALOT more than ViaCAD/Shark).

And yes it would be nice that when you need a fastener, you just select one, and modify the parameters in a window and back you go to modeling the more important parts...

Norbert M
zumer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:13:44 PM(UTC)
zumer

I was sniffing around the rhino3D site a couple of days ago and found a link to a free scripting language called http://www.autoitscript.com/. I had a look and found that it's a quite universal scripting language that can be applied to most applications. I've just started playing with it, but I think that it could be applied to produce parametric parts quite easily. I'm not a very good scripter, but it's got some great tools that expose the information needed to manipulate objects, files, tools, windows, all sorts. Its also quite "plain language", it doesn't obfuscate things like so many languages. Well documented, too. Did I mention free?

Didn't mention that it's windows.....sorry
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 3:28:06 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post

Didn't mention that it's windows.....sorry

Well not for long though :D

Highdesign and PowerCADD 8 are two fantastic 2D apps (Mac only- sorry). Many architects use a combination of these two paired up with SketchUp. Shame that VC never gets mentioned.

I'd love to see these parametric tools in Punch products- especially if nice little sliders controlling every parameter were to get involved. I don't know about you guys, but my math skills are appalling. I tend to do most things by eye, in real time :D
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 12:28:18 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Interesting... I was JUST moments ago looking at blasts from the past:

"CAD Interoperability Problem Solved"
http://www.deelip.com/2007/09/c...lity-problem-solved.html

"New Clone on the Block"
http://www.deelip.com/?p=150

"The Future of AutoCAD clones"
http://www.deelip.com/2007/10/f...e-of-autocad-clones.html

http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=2586
(in the Aug 17, 2009 entry, ViaCAD 2D/3D gets a mention)

"Should CAD software anticipate your needs or do what you tell it to do?"
http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=654

(Maybe this could go into the VC lounge forum?)
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 12:51:51 PM(UTC)
ttrw

You should read about StreamCAD if you like this kind of stuff;

http://www.streamspace.com/

The developer used to develop for Autodesk, but got fed up with them- hence StreamCAD.
tmay  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 1:08:40 PM(UTC)
tmay

I think ttrw mentioned this a while ago, but Ledas has a product called Driving Dimensions for Sketchup and Rhino which basically puts all of the modeling data of an object or an assembly into a system of simultaneous equations to solve. Each edit requires a updated solution, but the feature tree is maintained.

Seems like it would benefit from multithreading, so performance might be acceptable.

the other tom
bougalan  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 3:41:42 PM(UTC)
bougalan

Having a parametric library is one thing but being able to create your own parametric items to add to a library is another. Having text recordings included in the parametric symbols has also been useful.
bougalan  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 3:44:33 PM(UTC)
bougalan

A macro language or scripting language would also add to the customization of standard tasks or geometries
NickB  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 4:42:28 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Alan,
Could you give some examples of what you are looking for ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc