logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikeschn  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:53:50 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey Guys,

I have a mini ITX system with an i7 3770K CPU that I am going to rebuild into a CAD workstation.

It has the GA-Z77N motherboard with Intel Graphics 4000 onboard video. Do I need an external PCI-e graphics card? Should it be a Quadro card? What does the Quadro give me that a GTX580 doesn't?

Thanks,

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
mikeschn  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2014 2:45:19 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Well, I guess there are no answers yet.

So I went and grabbed a few components and built up a new workstation. This evening I'll grab a copy of Shark or Viacad and install it. Where this goes, no body knows.

But here's the workstation!

UserPostedImage

Mike...
kevjon  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:51:39 PM(UTC)
kevjon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Impressive system, Shark should run very well on that.
posh.de  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 5:45:35 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mikeschn Go to Quoted Post
...with Intel Graphics 4000 onboard video. Do I need an external PCI-e graphics card?
yes
Should it be a Quadro card?
no
What does the Quadro give me that a GTX580 doesn't?
nothing

Norbert

Edited by user Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:23:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: broken link tag

mikeschn  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 11:20:49 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Thanks guys!

I used to think the difference was that the GTX580 had OpenGL disabled and the Quadro didn't. But now I'm not so sure.

OpenGL shading uses software and hardware technology that is already preinstalled on most computers. OpenGL is designed for fast interactive manipulation of 3D geometry. OpenGL is an industry 3D standard that is a very popular rendering option for CAD software as well as the gamingc ommunities. For more information about OpenGL, visit the OpenGL consortium at http://www.opengl.org.
ViaCAD uses OpenGL shading for static and dynamic repainting of the screen. Commands such as repaint, change view, zoom view, etc. all use OpenGL. There are various different options for shading in OpenGL that include wireframe, flat, Gouraud, and Phong plus combinations of showing or not showing associated surface or solid edges.
mikeschn  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 11:28:58 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Thanks guys!

I used to think the difference was that the GTX580 had OpenGL disabled and the Quadro didn't. But now I'm not so sure.

OpenGL shading uses software and hardware technology that is already preinstalled on most computers. OpenGL is designed for fast interactive manipulation of 3D geometry. OpenGL is an industry 3D standard that is a very popular rendering option for CAD software as well as the gamingc ommunities. For more information about OpenGL, visit the OpenGL consortium at http://www.opengl.org.
ViaCAD uses OpenGL shading for static and dynamic repainting of the screen. Commands such as repaint, change view, zoom view, etc. all use OpenGL. There are various different options for shading in OpenGL that include wireframe, flat, Gouraud, and Phong plus combinations of showing or not showing associated surface or solid edges.
posh.de  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:36:12 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

I used to think the difference was that the GTX580 had OpenGL disabled and the Quadro didn't.

Every recent and dedicated GeForce resp. their driver does support OGL v1.5+ which is sufficient for the vast majority of 3D low-end/mid-range modelers. Therefore the advanced (and partly certified) OGL driver support of the nVidia Quadros (or AMD FirePro/FireGL) does not provide an advantage using e.g. Shark/VC.

OpenGL shading uses software and hardware technology that is already preinstalled on most computers.

For Windows Vista MS decided to remove their (rudimentary) OGL v1.1 stack... which doesn't matter because makers of video cards always provided the capable stuff with their own drivers.

OpenGL is an industry 3D standard that is a very popular rendering option for CAD software...

Autodesk and Alibre do use [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D"]MS Direct3D[/URL] for their CAD applications.

htc,
Norbert
mikeschn  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:33:56 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Norbert,

It sounds like you know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for that info.

How close are you to Schwbisch Gmnd?

Mike...
posh.de  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:06:31 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

How close are you to Schwäbisch Gmünd?

we're between Frankfurt and Würzburg, roughly 2 hours with the car to SG in nice BaWü.

Norbert

Edited by user Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:25:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: broken link tag

jlm  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 2:23:17 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
we're between Frankfurt and Wrzburg
Norbert

Hi Norbert,
I sometimes pass this place when I travel from Frankfurt to Bamberg by train...
Have a nice week-end,
JL
memphisjed  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:51:54 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
fancy! I run firepro, and once you make the jump to quadro/firepro it is like going to dial up using a gamer card. I think it is some the drivers and the gen 5 memory.
posh.de  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:40:19 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Originally Posted by: memphisjed Go to Quoted Post
I think it is some the drivers and the gen 5 memory.

it's mainly the GPU... with a GF regularly much faster obviously if comparing the same price range only.

Norbert

Edited by user Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:26:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: broken link tag