logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikeschn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:03:34 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How do I know when Shark is using the WCS (work coord. system) or the ACS (absolute coord. system)?

I've rotated the work plane to the front view in the model I am working on. So now the Y axis points up. Or does it still point rearward?

If I do a translate in the y direction, the solid model moves up. That's good, it's using the WCS.

But if I rotate about the y axis (using the y from the pull down menu in rotate) it's using the absolute y (ACS).

How can I change it so that everything ALWAYS uses the WCS?

Thanks,

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
mikeschn  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 6:30:28 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Does anyone else move the Coordinate System (Work Plane) or is it just me? Is it confusing to you when you reposition the work plane?

I have looked at it a little closer, and it appears that when you move the work plane you can:

1) transform according the work plane

2) draw according to the work plane

3) rotate work plane normal

These items are relative to the absolute coordinate system

1) verify distance x, y, or z

2) rotate x axis, y axis or z zxis

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:32:32 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>How do I know when Shark is using the WCS (work coord. system) or the ACS (absolute coord. system)?

The work plane is used for:

--Creating objects with minimal info. For example, a one point circle will use the work plane normal for the plane of the circle. However a three point circle will create the plane from the three points.

--Snaps. If no data is referenced, the cursor is projected into the plane of the work plane. Snap Along X, Snap Along Y, Snap Along Z are with respect to the work plane coordinate system. PrecisionPoint does provide an interface to entering data in a variety of coordinate systems including workplane coordinates.

The data entry window and inspector use absolute coordinates.

Tim

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
bradcan  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:42:55 PM(UTC)
bradcan

Originally Posted by: mikeschn Go to Quoted Post

How can I change it so that everything ALWAYS uses the WCS?

Hi Mike

Like me, you're obviously used to modeling s/w which lets you work in an arbitrarily defined user co-ordinate system! Hay man what a great idea. ;)

As Tim says the data entry dialogs use the ACS. So the answer to your question is YOU CAN'T. :(

In fact you will find that there are many things which do depend on the current WorkPlane orientation; eg. Mid-plane extrude, arrays and many others.

I move the work plane around all the time. There are several useful methods; I probably use '3 Pts and 'Set Origin' most, but others in the 'WorkPlane' menu are 'Select Objects' and 'Offset'. 3 point is particularly useful because when I select 'View', 'View the Plane' the view is what I expect (ie looking towards the WCS origin down the Z axis, Y up and X to the right). To reduce the number of menu clicks I set-up hot keys for all these.

Persevere, when you finally penetrate the vagaries and lack of documentation VC is a great, if at times frustrating tool. :rolleyes:

Brad
chipmaker2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:41:48 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
These items are relative to the absolute coordinate system

1) verify distance x, y, or z

2) rotate x axis, y axis or z zxis

Mike...

Mike for rotating use WorkPlane normal or arbitrary axis instead of X,Y,Z. And it will rotate using the user WorkPlane. For verifying a distance on a plane turn on snap to plane only and the actual distance will be given. Hope this helps.
Chuck