logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlochala  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:04:04 PM(UTC)
mlochala

I have been working on a rather complex (for me) project and have run into an issue when assembling the overall model with various modeled components and sub-assemblies.

For example, my model has a particular bolt and washer combination that I modeled in a separate file and then grouped together. When I imported it into the assembly file, I had two problems when placing it into position.

First, I can't seem to get the Mate Faces/Hole (can't exactly remember the name of the tool) with the group, which consists of a Allen-type bolt, a seat washer and a brass-like washer. Will this function not work with Groups, or is that for a single part only?

Secondly, when nudging the group into position, I had some inexplicable issues with one of the washers that decided to ungroup and relocate itself into another position elsewhere in the model. What causes this to happen, and how can I avoid it in the future?

With regard to this specific problem, I was able to get the assembly together finally, but was just curious if this is a known problem or am I doing something to cause this? Is it some sort of associative thing?
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:23:06 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mlochala Go to Quoted Post
I have been working on a rather complex (for me) project and have run into an issue when assembling the overall model with various modeled components and sub-assemblies.

For example, my model has a particular bolt and washer combination that I modeled in a separate file and then grouped together. When I imported it into the assembly file, I had two problems when placing it into position.

First, I can't seem to get the Mate Faces/Hole (can't exactly remember the name of the tool) with the group, which consists of a Allen-type bolt, a seat washer and a brass-like washer. Will this function not work with Groups, or is that for a single part only?

Secondly, when nudging the group into position, I had some inexplicable issues with one of the washers that decided to ungroup and relocate itself into another position elsewhere in the model. What causes this to happen, and how can I avoid it in the future?

With regard to this specific problem, I was able to get the assembly together finally, but was just curious if this is a known problem or am I doing something to cause this? Is it some sort of associative thing?

I have seen on build 852, that grouped 3d objects when using translate tool, or undo after translating the group regenerates but some of the objects in the group move to a previous location instead of the location the group was moved or nudged to.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Art  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 2:55:06 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Perhaps this has something to do with the generating forms. For example, if you use a circle to make a cylinder you must move both at once.

Could this be it?

Art

OSX Shark FX 853
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 5:22:51 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Art Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps this has something to do with the generating forms. For example, if you use a circle to make a cylinder you must move both at once.

Could this be it?

Art

OSX Shark FX 853

Art

I think you are right. My question is, ... is this behavior necessary? Why allow someone to move objects with dragging anywhere, then when using the translate tool the objects regenerate and move back to there created positions.

Would it not be better to be able to translate the geometry, and underlying curves separately if wanted... especially when working with assemblies...

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Art  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 7:11:13 PM(UTC)
Art

That is a good point. It seems to me the default Should be to translate the underlying geometry. This sure would make my CAD life easier. I spend a fair amount of time "removing links" to make sure that I don't get endless cycles between regeneration.

Does this make sense to others?

Art

OSX Shark FX 853
Art  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:47:10 PM(UTC)
Art

This is still happening in FX 967. I try to rotate a group and some parts rotate one way and some another.

These are imported step parts with no history, so it is not a matter of moving generating geometry as mentioned above.

Anybody know why this happens? BTW, UNDO will not fix the problem, it is like a mini crash.

Art

Shark FX 967
Tem  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:04:12 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

A mini crash? The Mini is a very small car, are you sure it's not a fatal crash?
Dark humor aside, it's a failure. If the behavior is inconsistent in this way it might as well be considered a real crash. I have experienced similar anomalies, and forget to make bug reports sometimes.
I think that it would be better to drop history on parts imported into an assembly, unless there could bs a part based on am assembly of other parts which adds a level of complexity (how to to deal with associations when other parts in an assembly change).
It's too late, good night!
Art  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:15:06 AM(UTC)
Art

That is my concern; these are parts with no history or associations, yet they still break apart.

Art

Shark FX