logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Darth  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:57:35 PM(UTC)
Darth

Newbe with ViaCAD 2d/3d. Tech support is trying to help, but maybe there is a work-around.

I am working with a very simple rectangular solid with curved edges and trying to chamfer the edges. The top and right side, no trouble, but the left edge just wont chamfer with varying errors. The latest is "unable to construct Acis geometry for blend".

I have redrawn this a number of times from scratch and I still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
File Attachment(s):
Untitled 1.vc3 (28kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zumer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:38:41 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How big do you want the chamfers? The size of each edge is conditional, because of the adjacent faces. But when you've chamfered an adjoining edge, it changes the conditions. I've screencast how I chamfered the edges to .1" here: http://screencast.com/t/wx6CgzwzXLK
Darth  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:06:17 AM(UTC)
Darth

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
How big do you want the chamfers? The size of each edge is conditional, because of the adjacent faces. But when you've chamfered an adjoining edge, it changes the conditions. I've screencast how I chamfered the edges to .1" here: http://screencast.com/t/wx6CgzwzXLK

I want to chamfer the top of the whole left edge to 15 degrees. I didn't see your screencast that you succeeded at the last step.
zumer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:24:31 PM(UTC)
zumer

15 degrees relative to what? All of the edges were chamfered in the screencast. PunchCAD won't alter arbitrary viewpoint in Jing.
Darth  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:40:06 PM(UTC)
Darth

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
15 degrees relative to what? All of the edges were chamfered in the screencast. PunchCAD won't alter arbitrary viewpoint in Jing.

15 degrees relative to the top, just like the right side.
zumer  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 8:45:25 AM(UTC)
zumer

I don't think you can replace faces with chamfer because it always adds a face. If you zoom into the lower edges of the faces that you managed to chamfer, you'll see that there's a narrow vestigial face along the edges. Maybe this will satisfy you: http://screencast.com/t/8sxtkGcPf
Darth  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 9:41:20 AM(UTC)
Darth

I am sorry I don't understand what you did :confused:. I am just learning the program, so I am a real newbe. The file represents a simple 2d drawing that was pulled up to 1/2 inch 3d solid, and then chamfered on the right edge to 15 degrees and a failed attempt to do the same on the left edge.
zumer  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 9:58:38 AM(UTC)
zumer

I drew lines at 15 degrees to the edges and swept them along the edges. I solid-extruded the sweep faces, then subtracted the extrusions from the edges of your original solid.
Darth  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 1:05:27 PM(UTC)
Darth

How did you get the 2d orange boxes and vertical lines?
zumer  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 4:02:23 PM(UTC)
zumer

The rectangles are drawn on the world workplane, snapped to the endpoints of the curves. The 15 degree lines were drawn in front and side views snapped to the curve endpoints, workplane 'use view'.