logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EAFW Ltd  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:58:34 PM(UTC)
EAFW Ltd

Just wondering if anyone else out there is using a quad 2.5ghz G5 and having any luck with it?
In normal 3D building tasks, i.e importing, opening, swapping from solid to line-view or even simply revolving a multi piece complicated part my machine runs very slowly and when I watch CPU use in activity monitor I never see more than 25% processor capacity being used.

When rendering it runs higher (around 70-80%) but still no where near 100%

I did a test render with my 24" 3.06ghz dual core intel IMAC VS my G5 2.5ghs Quad-core on a fly-by animation and the IMAC destroyed the G5 quad by about 15 frames over a 100 frame test.

the IMAC was running both cores at 100% and the G5 was pulsing between 40% and 90% shared across the four cores.

Its very frustrating, I know the G5 is getting a little dated now but it's still supposedly a fast computer on paper and it's a bit embarrassing having it put to shame by a lowly IMAC.

How much advantage would there be in upgrading to an 8-core intel MacPro? would it be worth my while and would the MacPro out perform the IMAC by a large margin?

I have heard CU and Shark will still only use one core so theres not much point right?

Thanks in advance.
jlm  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:00:49 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EAFW Ltd Go to Quoted Post
would the MacPro out perform the IMAC by a large margin?

I have both machines.
The MacPro is much much faster in rendering.
In usual modeling work, the 8 cores Macpro (16Gb RAM) is just a little bit faster.
Disappointing lazy big Mac!
NickB  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:37:01 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shark / the Spatial ASICS kernel is not multithreaded, so it will only use one processor at a time. Run Shark on an 8 core MacPro, and you will never see it using more than 12.5% of available cpu cycles. Of course the the Finder, Safari, Mail etc can all be running and using cycles, but Shark will max out its single core. The same problem holds true for your 4 core G5.

At the moment (until Spatial finds a way to multi-thread the kernel) the biggest determinants of speed for everything other than rotating a model around on screen are going to be CPU MHz, available RAM. Hard drive speed becomes an issue if you are working on a large file that will not fit into RAM and the OS starts to use virtual memory. The quality of a graphics card only effect OpenGL related tasks - screen drawing.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
EAFW Ltd  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:11:56 AM(UTC)
EAFW Ltd

Damn, well lets hope Spatial sort that problem out pretty soon because at the moment I am paying designers to sit on their asses and watch the spinning wheel of death while 75% of my computer gets used for bollocks like facebook and ebay.

I just set up a 6 part exploding animation tonight and it's like watching grass grow. :mad: Expensive grass.
NickB  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:16:07 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
http://www.spatial.com/news/spa...d-insiders™-summit

Looks like they are working on it, but don't hold your breath. Is any solids package multithreaded ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Art  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:05:29 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Does this have any implications?

http://www.spatial.com/news/thr...ard-with-acis-3d-modeler

Art

Shark FX 853 OSX
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 10:31:20 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>using a quad 2.5ghz G5 and having any luck with it?

FYI, we will stop supporting G5 for Shark for V7. Spatial is no longer providing PPC libraries for its ACIS product which serves as our core kernel.

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
orlandosardaro  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:24:12 AM(UTC)
orlandosardaro

I noticed that a rendering to screen uses all of the processors, but rendering an animation is using only one. This way it taks hours and hours to make an animation.

Is there any progress in this: multiprocessing support for rendering of animations? Or is this limited to the Mac Quicktime Version?

Thanks, Orlando