logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:40:24 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Is there an easy way to shear or skew a solid?

Like selecting a reference edge or two points (and maybe axis) to shear against?

Kind of like the move face but to "distort" the entire solid.
la mouche  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 2:56:44 PM(UTC)
la mouche

a example please?
zumer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:31:15 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The twist tool and the stretch tool can deliver a huge variety of distortions, including the ones you want. You're not restricted to a single entity, either, so you can use sacrificial solids that make the transformation easier to reference, or include multiple objects to one influential action.
zumer attached the following image(s):
distortions from twist tool.PNG (34kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:25:33 AM(UTC)
jol

There is no specific tool at present for this - Tim knows it's something people want - so if people are keen to have this functionality - they should register their interest here ! I for one would welcome it !
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:42:50 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thanks guys.. the Stretch and Twist are definitely functional tools to help create nice asymmetrical forms.

Normally when I want to skew a rectangular prism for example, I have to go through all the following steps:

step 1> convert prism to curves/lines
step 2> deep select points at one end
step 3> use gripper or translate tool to move selected points along an axis to a given distance
step 4> re-create surfaces from all sides
step 5> stitch surfaces together to form the new solid

Now unless there's a much easier way to do this, doing this I lose my original primitive!

This is why I want to have the selection tool to be much more efficient for example:

1) ability to select any vertices independently
2) ability to select any edges independently
3) ability to select any faces independently

The deep select SHOULD be able to ALWAYS do this, but fails to much of the time. It seems to have odd rules for selecting and transforming. Sometimes I use SILO which is obviously better for Sub-D modeling, but I enjoy the fact that I can select said entities easily and manipulate them with what would be it's version of the "Gripper".

This would be great for so many things including better freeform modeling but with exact measurements unlike in Silo. More+Better freeform modeling tools are always welcome!!!!
zumer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 4:26:17 PM(UTC)
zumer

That's not necessary. For example, use a block with the stretch tool. Nominate the midpoint of one edge as the starting point, and the diagonal opposite midpoint as the end of the stretched region. If the end point of the stretch transformation is an extension of the line between the first two points, the block is skewed symmetrically. It'll probably need reorientation, but the shape change can be done. The workflow you describe can be achieved for symmetrical skewing if you've used an extrusion or sweep from a profile instead of a primitive. Associativity with the profile and path means if you skew them, the solid skews too. You can also use the draft, move, match and replace face tools to achieve what you want using sequential actions that retain solid properties. You can do what you want to do, but not the way you want to do it. In fact, if you use a skin solid instead of a primitive, you can do it the way you want to as well.
zumer attached the following image(s):
skew.jpg (144kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.