logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2010 9:27:40 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I'm experiencing 5 second delays in simple things like translating and rotating of parts.. Things that used to happen instantly seem like they are taking quite a bit of time. And these are NOT complex forms with extensive construction history..

Any ideas?

Is it possibly related to instant-updating of the BOM?
jol  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:01:51 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
are you using the 'gripper' ?

I suspect something has slowed when moving, rotating etc using the gripper
misterrogers  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2010 8:52:08 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Yeah it's not constant, but seems to happen mostly when using the Gripper. Love the tool, just not the slowdowns.
misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:52:09 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Okay I'm seriously having terrible lag issues with Dynamic Pan. It never used to "think" this long.. Occasionally it can take about 10-15 seconds just to pan a small file - something that used to be instant. Not sure if this has something to do with the switch from 929 to the 949 build.
NickB  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:38:55 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My guess, you might need to do some system maintenance.

1. A restart of your system always helps. OS X is incredibly stable, but it does have cache files that can grow and grow, and a restart is a simple way of reseting a few things.

2. Use a utility like Cocktail to flush systems cache files and force daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks.

3. Hard drive. OS X uses virtual memory that writes invisible files to your hard drive. If your drive is more than 80 to 90% full you probably need to offload some files onto an external drive, or install a new larger drive. A faster drive will also help.

4. Memory. More always equals better. You can not have to much memory.

5. Your spec does not say what your machine is, or what video card you have installed, but if you are using shared video memory on a laptop, or even worse Intel integrated graphics graphics will slow down if you have other apps that are also open and using main memory.

6. View mode. Have you tried flipping the view mode for dynamic rotate ?

7. Model complexity. If your model has hundreds of features even if simple features like a peice of perfed metal, graphics will get very jerky and slow without a good graphics card with lots of memory. Unfortunately graphics has always been a weakness for Macs, which is why I use a Hackintosh.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
chipmaker2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:16:05 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Some of the spyware programs can gobble up a lot of performance. Have you installed new programs lately? I'm guessing with Mac that would be no but!!!
misterrogers  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 11:20:10 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

NickB: yeah I ran disk utility and it returned feedback saying 4 threads were missing.. Apparently I'm going to need to re-install the OS with the original disks.. which I fail to locate at the moment.

It's not all the time that the delays happen, in fact I haven't had any today. I also restarted.. something I haven't done in weeks since I always put it to sleep..

I do in fact have a stock intel graphics card - and yes it seems pretty s****y. I rely on iMacs and macbooks because they're less expensive compared to customized desktops from apple, although in the future that may not be a bad idea. I'm sure I'll be asking you for some technical pointers/suggestions when the time to purchase arrives.

Chipmaker2: I sure hope I have no spyware.. Of course it's possible, but I don't download and install anything unless it's from a very trustworthy Russian website. :)